Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adobe Flash Plugin

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Adobe Flash Plugin

I recently noticed the following message on Adobe's website :

Adobe Flash Player 11.2 will be the last version to target Linux as a supported platform. Adobe will continue to provide security backports to Flash Player 11.2 for Linux.

at : http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

So how do we go abt it in future ?
    Will we develope an alternative or is Flash an outdated technology ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Smile Re: Adobe Flash Plugin

As far as I know, there won't be any alternatives. However, you can keep using the latest Linux release, or you can just use Chrome, which will be shipped with the latest version of Flash, even though they stopped making new versions at Adobe.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Adobe Flash Plugin

I think the web is moving away from flash with the advent of HTML5 technology -- especially on sites like Youtube. when I was using Trisquel (a 100% free spin of ubuntu) it came with gnash by default which is an open source flash player -- although it worked fairly well it had some trouble on some sites.

Once youtube came out with the HTML5 preview -- everything ran smooth.

I am actually glad Adobe stopped supporting Linux, honestly.. I think this will further the development of alternatives like gnash, and continue the trend of the web moving away form flash. The future looks bright -- even though it may not be "flashy" ... haha

Beans

everything is becoming unsupported in Linux. I hear everyone yelling that Linux gives you so many options. Yet if I want up to date flash I am left with one web browser. Super dope choices guys.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by TheMTtakeover View Post
    everything is becoming unsupported in Linux. I hear everyone yelling that Linux gives you so many options. Yet if I want up to date flash I am left with one web browser. Super dope choices guys.
    The latest android devices will not have flash either. and as you may know iphone/ipad have never had flash support and they are supposed to be state of the art?

Its not that linux is losing support.. its that flash is old news and its time for something better.

You can't blame Linux for not having flash.. blame Adobe for making yet another poor decision.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by TheMTtakeover View Post
    Compared to the support 20 years ago, I'd say things have improved slightly.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Its good things are changing. We indeed get far more options in Linux than other OS.
    I dont care if that closed system (Flash) survives or not. The sooner every one switches to more open standards the better. But till all websites switch over to HTML5 how do we manage ? GNash and Chrome ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I think that's about the size of it.

Honestly though, I wish legit companies would start thinking about the Linux community. A lot of people disagree with me, but I'd be willing to spend money on commercial products. I'd take a copy of PsE over GIMP any day!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by levlaz View Post
    I am actually glad Adobe stopped supporting Linux, honestly.. I think this will further the development of alternatives like gnash, and continue the trend of the web moving away form flash. The future looks bright -- even though it may not be "flashy" ... haha
    I will be happy when they drop windows support
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by 3dmatrix View Post
    Its good things are changing. We indeed get far more options in Linux than other OS.
    I dont care if that closed system (Flash) survives or not. The sooner every one switches to more open standards the better. But till all websites switch over to HTML5 how do we manage ? GNash and Chrome ?

Flash will continue to work fine. The only way to get flash 11.3 and newer will be via pepper. Right now Chrome is the only browser supporting pepper, and none too well according to some posts. Do we need flash 11.3 and newer? For most uses, probably not. Most sites seem happy with Flash 10 or earlier. With flash being persona non grata in Apple's iWorld and Android moving away, it seems unlikely to me that flash will develop much beyond where it is now. Maybe stay about where it is now then decrease in relevance? Even Adobe has said that HTML5 will likely eclipse flash.
    Last edited by kurt18947; July 31st, 2012 at 12:12 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast