Thread: Patching ALSA driver

Beans

Patching ALSA driver

Hello,

I am trying to find a way to patch ALSA to get an external USB sound card to work.
    There's a file I need to edit : usbaudio.c , which is said to be located at linux/sound/usb/usbaudio.c.
    My problem here is that I don't know where to find this location ! I looked in the Alsa-driver sources but I could only find usbaudio.h, which is obviously not what I'm looking for.

I guess there's something I missed about ALSA, if someone can point me to the right direction it would be really appreciated .

Some more info :
    I'm actually trying to activate the optical IN (S/PDIF in) of my USB sound card : Sweex SC016, using a CM6206 chip which was known for having compatibility issues with anything else than Windows. AFAIK, only the S/PDIF out was patched in Alsa.
    Also, I posted this message here because Ubuntu has a large community, and my problem is mainly related to ALSA, but I actually intend to use my device on Angstrom running ALSA 10.0.24.2

Beans

Re: Patching ALSA driver

Lil' bump !

Beans

Last Bump !
    I really can't figure out how to get to these files, damn !

Beans

Renamed usbaudio.c to card.c because this is what it actually does now.
    http://git.alsa-project.org/?p=alsa-...b61b33bd6117ea
    GNU/Linux

Beans
    Hidden!

Notice the comment:
    "Renamed usbaudio.c to card.c because this is what it actually does now."

Beans

Hello,
    Thanks for the pointers .
    I did fiund what I was looking for, but it was actually located in quirks.c ; I guess they moved that as well when renaming the file.

I guess now I'll try to update this thread as I'm stepping forward in the resolution of my problem ; you never know, it might help someone else later.

So, here's the piece of code that's interesting me :
    Code:
    /* quirks.c */
     383 static int snd_usb_cm6206_boot_quirk(struct usb_device *dev)
     384 {
     385         int err, reg;
     386         int val[] = {0x200c, 0x3005, 0xf800, 0x143f, 0x0000, 0x3000};
     388         for (reg = 0; reg < ARRAY_SIZE(val); reg++) {
     389                 err = snd_usb_cm106_write_int_reg(dev, reg, val[reg]);
     390                 if (err < 0)
     391                         return err;
     392         }
     394         return err;
     395 }
    According to the CM6206 datasheet, I just have to modify the value of register 1 to 0x3005 (in the file, it's originally 0x3000) to enable S/PDIF loopback and S/PDIF IN Mix.
    So basically I have to re-compile ALSA and it should boot the device the way I want it to.

What I did so far :
    • I got the source of the kernel I'm using in my Angstrom (linux-2.6.32.59) ;
    • Compiled it using the following steps : make config (I let everything default there) ; make dep ; make clean ; make bzImage ;
    • Configured ALSA using : ./configure --with-cards=usb-audio --with-sequencer=yes --with-card-options=all --with-kernel=../linux-2.6.32.59
    • I'm currently trying to make ALSA but encounter errors.

Here's the end of the output :
    Code:
    make[1]: Entering directory `/home/root/linux'
      CC [M]  /home/root/alsa-driver-1.0.25/acore/memory_wrapper.o
    In file included from /home/root/alsa-driver-1.0.25/acore/memory_wrapper.c:19:
    /home/root/alsa-driver-1.0.25/include/adriver.h:293:1: warning: "GFP_DMA32" redefined
    In file included from include/linux/kmod.h:22,
                     from include/linux/module.h:13,
                     from /home/root/alsa-driver-1.0.25/include/adriver.h:63,
                     from /home/root/alsa-driver-1.0.25/acore/memory_wrapper.c:19:
    include/linux/gfp.h:116:1: warning: this is the location of the previous definition
    /home/root/alsa-driver-1.0.25/include/adriver.h:752: error: static declaration of 'jiffies_to_msecs' follows non-static declaration
    include/linux/jiffies.h:296: error: previous declaration of 'jiffies_to_msecs' was here
    /home/root/alsa-driver-1.0.25/include/adriver.h:771: error: static declaration of 'msecs_to_jiffies' follows non-static declaration
    include/linux/jiffies.h:298: error: previous declaration of 'msecs_to_jiffies' was here
    /home/root/alsa-driver-1.0.25/include/adriver.h:1541:1: warning: "page_to_pfn" redefined
    In file included from /home/root/linux/arch/arm/include/asm/memory.h:310,
                     from /home/root/linux/arch/arm/include/asm/page.h:201,
                     from include/linux/mmzone.h:20,
                     from include/linux/gfp.h:4,
                     from include/linux/kmod.h:22,
                     from include/linux/module.h:13,
                     from /home/root/alsa-driver-1.0.25/include/adriver.h:63,
                     from /home/root/alsa-driver-1.0.25/acore/memory_wrapper.c:19:
    include/asm-generic/memory_model.h:72:1: warning: this is the location of the previous definition
    In file included from /home/root/alsa-driver-1.0.25/acore/memory_wrapper.c:20:
    include/linux/mm.h:273: error: conflicting types for 'snd_compat_vmalloc_to_page'
    /home/root/alsa-driver-1.0.25/include/adriver.h:673: error: previous declaration of 'snd_compat_vmalloc_to_page' was here
    In file included from /home/root/alsa-driver-1.0.25/acore/memory_wrapper.c:20:
    include/linux/mm.h: In function 'lowmem_page_address':
    include/linux/mm.h:596: error: implicit declaration of function 'page_to_pfn'
    /home/root/alsa-driver-1.0.25/acore/memory_wrapper.c: In function 'snd_compat_vmalloc_to_page':
    /home/root/alsa-driver-1.0.25/acore/memory_wrapper.c:38: error: implicit declaration of function 'VMALLOC_VMADDR'
    /home/root/alsa-driver-1.0.25/acore/memory_wrapper.c:40: error: 'init_mm' undeclared (first use in this function)
    /home/root/alsa-driver-1.0.25/acore/memory_wrapper.c:40: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
    /home/root/alsa-driver-1.0.25/acore/memory_wrapper.c:40: error: for each function it appears in.)
    /home/root/alsa-driver-1.0.25/acore/memory_wrapper.c:44: error: implicit declaration of function 'pte_offset'
    /home/root/alsa-driver-1.0.25/acore/memory_wrapper.c:44: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast
    make[3]: *** [/home/root/alsa-driver-1.0.25/acore/memory_wrapper.o] Error 1
    make[2]: *** [/home/root/alsa-driver-1.0.25/acore] Error 2
    make[1]: *** [_module_/home/root/alsa-driver-1.0.25] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/root/linux'
    make: *** [compile] Error 2
    Someone discussed about the same errors here : http://forum.nas-central.org/viewtop...=2941&start=45 but did not find the solution. I've tried a few #defines and this kind of stuff, but it didn't help.

If anyone is familiar with kernel+ALSA compiling (which is absolutely not my case), I'll be glad to read his ideas !

edit: btw, I'm not sure this thread is in the right section. If someone feels like moving it, go ahead .
    Last edited by antou; August 3rd, 2012 at 09:15 AM.

Beans

Up, I still can't figure out these errors =/ .

Edit : okay I decided to try and compile Alsa on my main Xubuntu first, to see how the card is detected.
    I managed to compile alsa from source using the script found here : http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1681577.
    After the first step (downloading the files with sudo ./Alsa-Upgrade-1.0.25-3.sh -d), I modified /opt/Alsa-1.0.25/alsa-driver-1.0.25/sound/usb/quirks.c as described above.

I'm now going to make a few tests in order to see whether my usb card is working or not.
    Last edited by antou; August 7th, 2012 at 11:01 AM.

Beans

Turns out it works : I can hear th sound from S/PDIF in through the Headphones plug of the USB card. But I can't find a way to bring that audio to the PC, I guess I do need a driver for that.