Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Linux and the future of Firefox

Beans

Re: Linux and the future of Firefox

SAhumway looks to be the answer, it will take some time but it seems to be underway and will replace firefox flash soon enough.
    Shumway was probably intended for firefox mobile OS but it will be there for desktops with no doubt.
    Plus there is always a chance for a flash alternative to catch up, or something that can convert flash to html5.

Beans

I'm finding myself starting chromium rather than firefox more often recently. This is despite some niggles (settings menu on the right, and grows to the left despite having a > on the right of parent menu items, for instance). We use lots of javascript-manipulated svg at work, and chromium is perhaps an order of magnitude faster at rendering SVG in the dom than firefox.

Beans

Smile Re: Linux and the future of Firefox

Quote Originally Posted by tartalo View Post
    on the other hand Chrome has Angry Birds.
    can't beat that...

i use firefox primarily, but i actually installed chrome just to play angry birds
    Don't eff with The Cult...

Beans

Was wondering the same thing, This is main my problem on why I can't use Linux. It runs great as an OS but you have to go through so many workarounds to do the simplest things. Seems like more and more things are now not being supported in Linux. Java, flash etc. The only thing it seems to be gaining is game support.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Java is fully supported in Linux.

i am using Java 7 JRE and use it to connect to SSL/VPN using an applet.. smooth as butter.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Quote Originally Posted by The Cog View Post
    We use lots of javascript-manipulated svg at work, and chromium is perhaps an order of magnitude faster at rendering SVG in the dom than firefox.
    That's interesting. I'd only been hearing about Mozilla's much-vaunted Javascript JIT engine, and I thought it was the fastest thing out there. But it's been a while since I did any benchmarks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Primefalcon View Post
    it won be superseded in the next 5 years..... 15-20 maybe, for a start HTML5 Video is still lacking in key features that prevent sites like Hulu using it.... Not to mention that Flash is far too embedded into the market to disappear so quick...

And of course Youtube has an html5 code, it uses their own webm video format
    The whole premise of this thread seems strange. Chromium actually uses the flash plugin too, you know. So if there is no flash for Linux, you won't get to use it for chrome either.

Either flash will go obsolete and get replaced by HTML5 (It already is). Or it will not go obsolete and it will motivate the development of a free software version that is good or better. I would not worry about it that much. Web developers everywhere are waiting to dance on its grave.

Chromium is all right, but its interface is not my favorite and it does not respect your OS' theme. It got the second place on the list of better browsers. But only because just about any major browser not called firefox or chromium is really bad (Including Google Chrome, which is proprietary and thus a ridiculous choice for such a vital thing as a web browser.).
    Xye incredibly difficult puzzle game with minimal graphics. Also at playdeb
    Got a blog: Will Stay Free

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Not mentioned in this thread is Chrome (not chromium AFAIK) and 'pepper flash'. My understanding is that flash will still be available for Linux but not as a direct download from Adobe. Mozilla has chosen to not implement pepper at this time, I'm not clear on why. Something to do with licensing?

http://socialbarrel.com/adobe-pitche...-chrome/32590/

I prefer Firefox to chromium and am not concerned about the short term. Not many web sites even require flash 11, flash 9 or 10 works fine ignoring security issues. By the time Adobe ceases security updates for Linux in 5 years there should be a plan B. There was some speculation about installing Chrome for the pepper flash and symlinking the flash bits to Firefox. I don't know if that is a viable plan or not. Or perhaps Firefox will find a suitable way to implement pepper flash itself.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thanks, I didn't know that (I have not cared about flash for a long time, it seems). Now the thread makes sense to me.

Edit: deleted wrong speculation.

Edit 2: If this becomes a serious issue, Mozilla will just have to implement Pepper (If it becomes a serious issue, mozilla would no longer be disinterested in it). Worst case scenario, some group of programmers will decide to patch FF with support for it. It might take them a year or so, but afterwards, you get a shiny new firefox with safe working flash player in all platforms.

If it does not become a serious issue, well, it would only mean that flash died. We will enjoy HTML5.
    Last edited by vexorian; July 31st, 2012 at 07:39 AM.
    Xye incredibly difficult puzzle game with minimal graphics. Also at playdeb
    Got a blog: Will Stay Free

Beans

For me firefox is too clunky and is always trying to update plugins etc. Not much fun when you are in a hurry to do something! However, I like the proxy setting in preferences. I ssh tunnel through a server in the UK so that I can appear to be in the UK when I am really in Honduras. Firefox has a nice plugin to help me switch the SOCKS proxy on or off.

I need to check to see if Chrome has that feature because I would prefer to use chrome.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast