Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Linux and the future of Firefox

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Linux and the future of Firefox

Now that Adobe is no longer going to be coming out with any new versions of flash, what's going to happen to Firefox on linux? At some point the current (and last) version of Flash is going to become too obsolete to use, then we're stuck with either using Chromium or an open source flash-like app which doesn't work too well. I'm not a big fan of Google so I really don't want to use their browser if I can avoid it. Any and all comments are welcome.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Linux and the future of Firefox

Quote Originally Posted by Mazate View Post
    At some point the current (and last) version of Flash is going to become too obsolete to use
    Will that some point happen before of after Flash itself becomes an obsolete technology - this is the question

Beans
    Distro

Chrome is a fine browser. I'm not Google's biggest fan either, but I have no problem using it. That being said...

Quote Originally Posted by azangru View Post
    Will that some point happen before of after Flash itself becomes an obsolete technology - this is the question
    This, right here, is the key. HTML5 will most likely replace Flash in the near future. As it currently stands, YouTube even has an HTML5 setting you can enable.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by BarfBag View Post
    HTML5 will most likely replace Flash in the near future. As it currently stands, YouTube even has an HTML5 setting you can enable.
    it won be superseded in the next 5 years..... 15-20 maybe, for a start HTML5 Video is still lacking in key features that prevent sites like Hulu using it.... Not to mention that Flash is far too embedded into the market to disappear so quick...

And of course Youtube has an html5 code, it uses their own webm video format

Beans

Now that Adobe is no longer going to be coming out with any new versions of flash, what's going to happen to Firefox on linux?
    Shumway?

I'm not a big fan of Google so I really don't want to use their browser if I can avoid it. Any and all comments are welcome.
    Not a problem for me. I looove all things Google.

Edit
    Shumway, not Shamway
    Last edited by vasa1; July 30th, 2012 at 04:14 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I switch from using Firefox to Chrome Browser a few months ago. I found after getting my wife a Chromebook, which I use once in awhile that I liked the browser. I think the reason I like it is because of the Google apps. Google has a reputation as a spy, but they have done wonders with the Internet and search engines. Now they have gotten into the game with there own OS.

Now as far as Firefox goes, I still use it once in awhile because of some of the plug-ins. FireFTP for one. I started using FileZilla to replace it, so I find I am using it less and less.

Now when it come to videos on the web, there are some really issues. It seem that when I watch some videos that have commercials I either lose the video (video goes black) or the sound after the commercial. This happen on TV shows or Hulu. Other websites with embedded videos act this way also. And it doesn't matter what browser I am using. My work around is to just restart the video. It can be a pain in the you know what to have to do this.

As time goes on things should get better. I always hated all these plug-ins and add-on one needs to get things to work right. Maybe with HTML5 things will start to change and get better.
    Information on my Main laptop. Information on my small laptop Dell 11 3000
    Using a Asus 3632QM laptop with 8gig RAM, 250 SSD.
    Machine Registered 366271, 366273, 366275.
    Registered Ubuntu user number 18630. Registered Linux user number 458093.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

I don't think that Flash will ever be a big issue for Firefox in Linux.

Flash usage in websites is droping steadily [1] [2]. And it's not like the Flash client for Linux dissapeared, it just won't be updated beyond security fixes. The Flash client won't be updated either in mobile platforms [3].

I'd expect that the remaining sites that still depend on Flash will first care about backwards compatibility, and later slowly migrate to alternatives.

---

Firefox does have however a Marketing problem, in many's mind it's not the "cool" browser anymore, Chrome has that position.

No matter that the engine has been improved a lot in terms of speed and RAM usage (needs even less than Chrome!), many people still see it as a slow resourse-hog.

Firefox still has more and better plugins, but that's a geeky advantage, on the other hand Chrome has Angry Birds.

Becoming a very minoritary browser would be a problem because Mozilla's income comes mostly from the default search engine in Firefox.

[1] http://trends.builtwith.com/framewor...ve-Flash-Embed
    [2] http://w3techs.com/technologies/deta...-flash/all/all
    [3] https://mashable.com/2011/11/09/its-...layer-is-dead/

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

There is no way I will switch to chromium. I love Firefox and will not abandon just for flash. I will abandon flash for my firefox!

Beans
    Distro

I find firefox to be too much clutter lately anyway. Chrome suits my needs a lot better, actually.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Ravi5kumar View Post
    There is no way I will switch to chromium. I love Firefox and will not abandon just for flash. I will abandon flash for my firefox!
    I said the same thing until a got my wife a Chromebook. I don't like Chromium but Chrome Browser is nice. I like the idea of Apps.
    Apps01.jpg Apps02.jpg Apps03.jpg Apps04.jpg
    Information on my Main laptop. Information on my small laptop Dell 11 3000
    Using a Asus 3632QM laptop with 8gig RAM, 250 SSD.
    Machine Registered 366271, 366273, 366275.
    Registered Ubuntu user number 18630. Registered Linux user number 458093.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast