Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need a printer (not an EPSON)

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.10 Edgy

I need a printer (not an EPSON)

Hello ladies and gentlemen,

My mother uses a stylus SX415 printer. This machine has been a disaster. The scanner doesn't work with linux. She has printed maybe 10 pages in total for the whole printer life. It is around 2 years old. It says the black ink cartridge is empty and behaves erraticaly.

So we need a new GOOD QUALITY printer which works out of the box with linux. It doesn't need to be very cheap or very cheap per print since she doesn't print a lot.

EDIT: oh and it must be durable. No use for a printer that go mad after 2 years.

I tried sites like this one : http://www.openprinting.org/printers/

No useful results.

Thanks in advance to whoever who respond.
    Last edited by Δαίδαλος; July 28th, 2012 at 09:07 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: I need a printer ASAP (not an EPSON)

Here we got a HP laserjet 4250n. They're not cheap (we got ours cheap ). Prints at about 30pages per minute black and white only and single sided. One cartridge lasts about 10,000 pages.
    Works out of the box with linux (use the correct driver other wise it wont work).
    Anyway I'm very satisfied with it.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Thank you jonny.My mother won't spend 600 € for a printer.

It seems i get better results with looking for printers in the commerce THEN googling to check if they are linux-compatible. If i check for more ore less official lists of supported printers i get several years old devices which are not sold anymore.

Beans

my epson nx515 worked perfectly out of the box two years ago.
    But in the same boat now.
    Will print graphics, but refuses to print text. Apparently no body has an answer either.
    Lot of suggestions but nothing works.
    Bought brandnew hp 3520e and it won't do anything with ubuntu 11.04 or 11.10.
    You MUST use their driver disk, so it can find the router. WHAAATTTT? A printer should
    automatically find the router. Although in the OS printer properties you may have to tweak somethings.
    So the printer is going back.
    I too need a printer that will work out of the box.
    Ubuntu has a app called HPLIP but it is one or two versions old and will not support the new printers.
    Seems we keep going back in time, not forward with it just works!

Beans

I've had good luck with both Brother MFC machines and Canon PIXMA printers. Both manufacturers support Linux.

For Brother support of Linux, you can go to:

http://welcome.solutions.brother.com.../en/index.html

I've been especially pleased with the Brother script for installing drivers in Linux:
    welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/public_s/id/linux/en/faq_prn.html#f00104

For Canon support of Linux, you need to go to a non-USA Canon Website, such as their European site:
    http://www.canon-europe.com/support/software/linux/

Good luck!

Beans

I've been very happy with a couple of Canon PIXMA inkjet printers I bought last year (MP250 & 280). So far they have been trouble-free. The ink cartridges don't dry out even after several months of no use -- a constant problem I had with Lexmark cartridges. As rewyllys said, I found the linux drivers on New Zealand or Europe websites, that have worked with Ubuntu 10.04 to 12.04.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Thank you for your kind answers. I walked in a big electronics/computer store and asked one of the vendors the permission for using their internet to check for linux compatibility.

I choosed the cheaper printer, a bit weary of programmed obsolescence. A HP deskjet 1000 J110. I paid 40 €. There is a two year warranty.

I plugged the USB cable in the machine, clicked print and it printed out of the box without having to install anything !

I use linux mint 12 on my mother's machine. It is based on ubuntu 11.10.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I think you usually can't go wrong with HP. Both in terms of build quality and Linux support. I have a HP Photosmart 6510, connected via WiFi. Ran the printer wizard and It Just Works (TM). If I remember correctly, scanning even worked without having to configure anything.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: I need a printer (not an EPSON)

You could take a look at h-node.
    They have a database there of hardware that works with fully free software without the need for proprietary drivers or binary blobs in the linux kernel.
    Linux-libre ask for it
    Coreboot Free software to replace proprietary BIOS
    Trisquel a fully free GNU/Linux-libre distribution
    Open Source does not mean Free My Spec Earthlings

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: I need a printer (not an EPSON)

I would second the suggestion for Brother printers. Their all in one devices work great, well built and last. Brother has good linux support and the printers are competitive in pricing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast