Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can we save Gnome 2?

Beans

Can we save Gnome 2?

I see a lot of complaints about Unity and I agree with most of them. I also find Gnome 3 to be little different. The goal appears to be an interface that is simple and clean (think Apple) and will work on mobile devices. Those are laudable goals. But there are those of us who use our Linux desktop machines for actual work. We are technically capable and we want an interface that is efficient for us, with 10 workspaces, 20 applications running all the time and 25 icons in our panels. Unity and Gnome 3 don't function that way, so why not keep Gnome 2 around. I'm not asking for innovation, just leave it alone, but continue to support it into the forseeable future.

Beans

Re: Can we save Gnome 2?

Some guys forked Gnome 2 and called the project MATE:
    Gnome 2 was the most popular Linux desktop but it’s no longer available… MATE is here to provide that same desktop to you
    http://mate-desktop.org/
    GNU/Linux

Beans

Very interesting. Do they have a support forum where we could see reviews and whatnots?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Complaining here does nothing. Ubuntu didn't kill Gnome 2. You want to complain to the people behind the death of Gnome 2...do it here. Although I seriously doubt anyone there will listen to your complaints.

A possible solution? Try this.
    "The Linux philosophy is laugh in the face of danger. Oops. Wrong one. Do it yourself. That's it." --Linus Torvalds

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You could download Mint 13/Maya with the MATE desktop. Take it for a spin and write a review . I've used it for very basic stuff and it works. No idea how or if it works with compiz and the blessed cube etc. etc.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I've been using Mint 13 (Mate) for about a month. Love it ! All the compiz bells and whistles if you want them and totally customizable. If you want the gnome 3 version download Mint 13 (Cinnamon) although not quite as customizable has a bit more eye candy. There is almost no learning curve involved as everything is based on Ubuntu and in fact uses many of the same repositories. The Mate core is Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and very stable in addition to being extremely fast.
    AMD FX-6200 - MSI 4.1Ghz- Nvidia GTX550Ti -12/GIG - 60GB-SSD/500 Sata - 12.04 - Gnome 3

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

Thread moved to Recurring Discussions.
    Ubuntu 16.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 14.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

MATE seemed to not let me do the things i did on gnome 2.32, but over time messing with it again, i may just figure out workarounds for what i want...
    By now i moved to Kubuntu, obviously with KDE4- and set it up the best i could, like i used to have Gnomes panels, and its look and feel.
    So; I'd like to know if anyone can tell me if installing a MATE session to Kubuntu 12.04amd might adversely effect KDE... because in my own experience having Unity lurking within the system, did not play well with KDE4.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Just use Xfce... you will feel right at home coming from Gnome 2.
    Do you folks like coffee?

Beans

contribute to xfce instead. it's basically a slighly less user friendly gnome2 but faster. a few more releases from now it should be as good or better than gnome 2 and still faster
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast