Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows Wireless Drivers without internet

Beans

Exclamation Windows Wireless Drivers without internet

Hello!

I just started on this forum a literally few minutes ago and I am absolutely brand new to Ubuntu it's self so I know practically nothing about it, but I am a long time Windows user. I have a Netgear WNDA3100v2 (chipset: Broadcom BCM43XX) wireless adapter, I am using my friends copy of Ubuntu 11.10 and I have noted the lack of a functioning Netgear WNDA3100v2 drivers. I already have the drivers from the internet. But... I need the Windows Wireless Drivers, and the computer that I need it for isn't connected to the internet. We do have a router but all of the plugs are in use. And I need that computer connection to the internet so we can make our home e-mail server.

Please Help!

Thank You!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Windows Wireless Drivers without internet

Have you tried the following?

sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install firmware-b43-installer
    sudo apt-get remove bcmwl-kernel-source
    sudo reboot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by daslinkard View Post
    that works without the internet? Does it search locally at first?
    "I'd group the Gnome 3s, the KDE4s, the Unitys and the win8s with the same tag "Attempted to fix problems that didn't exist by breaking stuff that worked". - vexorian
    On another note, it looks like I'm back to ATI.

Beans
    Distro

We can use Mint Linux and this link here

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

See https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...Driver/bcm43xx . See the section at the beginning about identifying your chip. Then see the section on no Internet access. Basically what is required, when you don't have Internet access, is to get b43-fwcutter from the CD that you used to install ubuntu, and to get the firmware/driver from the location shown on the site above. Downloading this firmware/driver can be done on any (including Windows) computer and brought over to your ubuntu system on a memory stick. Then you run b43-fwcutter against the firmware/driver and it will extract the firmware and install it in ubuntu.

The web site talks about a patch, but there was no patch for 12.04 Precise Pangolin. Probably isn't one for your system.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Ralph L; July 27th, 2012 at 08:23 PM.

Beans

Quote:
    sudo apt-get update
    Quote:
    sudo apt-get install firmware-b43-installer
    Quote:
    sudo apt-get remove bcmwl-kernel-source
    Quote:
    sudo reboot
    That will not work because I cannot connect to the internet at all with it.
    Last edited by mmandemlin; July 27th, 2012 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Unclear on original

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mmandemlin View Post
    Hello!

We do have a router but all of the plugs are in use. And I need that computer connection to the internet so we can make our home e-mail server.

Please Help!

Thank You!
    So what you are saying is you do have Internet but you are choosing not to connect via the wired connection to download the drivers? May I ask why not disconnect one of the devices long enough to run the sudo commands I initially posted so you do have Internet?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Have you tried inserting the install/Live cd and installing the drivers from it? Remember this is not Windows, most of the drivers are included with the kernel. The only time you need a network connection is if you are installing closed source drivers, for example graphics drivers from AMD and Nvidia.
    Last edited by cariboo; July 28th, 2012 at 02:15 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by daslinkard View Post
    So what you are saying is you do have Internet but you are choosing not to connect via the wired connection to download the drivers? May I ask why not disconnect one of the devices long enough to run the sudo commands I initially posted so you do have Internet?
    Because. We do not have an ethernet cable long enough to reach the room I have the server in.

Beans

I had the same problem you may have to just sit next to the router plug it in and install it. It doesn't take too long.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast