Thread: Music/Media players crashing constantly

Beans

Music/Media players crashing constantly

Hi there,

I just bought a new computer, which came without any operating system. I installed Ubuntu 12.04 from a USB onto the hard drive and it seemed to be working perfectly fine.

Except when I went to put music on, Rhythmbox, then Banshee, then Clementine and now gmusicbrowser have all failed to play any songs from the few albums I put on the desktop. They all manage to load the music onto the library but whenever I click "play" they all go grey and I have to force close. What could possibly be the problem? Is there some driver or something I need to install?

The same thing happens when I try to play a video over my network using VLC, which has always been reliable for me in the past, though I'm not sure if the video problem is the same or unrelated? Either way these are pretty basic functions that are currently totally bombing.

thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Music/Media players crashing constantly

Welcome to Ubuntu Forums

Try installing ubuntu restricted extras, it supports many audio formats, it's in the software center, synaptic or using the terminal
    Code:
      sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras
    You may still have audio problems this will eliminate one.

Beans

There hasn't been any change...

I'm only very new to Linux, but surely there shouldn't be too much that you have to do before music programs will play .mp3's and video programs will play .avi's and .mp4's? Do you think that there was a glitch when I installed it or something, for so many things to go wrong at once?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Check out the alsamixer link below
    Make sure all speaker controls are not muted

Beans

I don't think it's a problem in terms of the sound itself - the programs simply crash before any sound has a chance to come out of the speakers. The music players all freeze up & go grey and ask me to force quit. VLC doesn't really do anything, it just sits there with the video time length but without actually playing anything, I can close it without it freezing.

Is this an uncommon problem to be experiencing?