Thread: I'd like ubuntu to really do nothing when I close the laptop

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I'd like ubuntu to really do nothing when I close the laptop

I upgraded my netbook and PC ubuntu version from 10.10 and 9.10 to 12.04. Things are going great since I got rid of unity. Except for one thing.

In the past, energy settings allowed you to make it so that when closing the laptop (you know, physically), the screen would turn off (and just turn off). Now the option to simply turn it off is missing. There are only options to suspend and do nothing.

Not a big problem, I thought, I would just close the case and let the thing that turns the screen off after inactivity to turn the screen off.

And it works. The problem is that it is not true that ubuntu is doing nothing when I close the laptop, as it is certainly locking the sesion. So every time I close my netbook and reopen it even after mere seconds I have to input my password. Is there a way to make it stop locking?
    Xye incredibly difficult puzzle game with minimal graphics. Also at playdeb
    Got a blog: Will Stay Free

Beans

Re: I'd like ubuntu to really do nothing when I close the laptop

only if you haven't tried this!!

go to settings/user accounts click unlock and enable Automatic login

EDIT: actually judging that you have been using ubuntu for six years over my two years that my possible solution might not work
    Last edited by wasapb; July 24th, 2012 at 09:35 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: I'd like ubuntu to really do nothing when I close the laptop

Don't take it for granted, Every year every config setting gets moved somewhere else so elderness does not help that much.

It is a good idea, the problem is that I forgot to explain that I want to still be able to manually lock the screen so that a password is needed. Manually.

Maybe I should just get used to it.
    Xye incredibly difficult puzzle game with minimal graphics. Also at playdeb
    Got a blog: Will Stay Free