Thread: How to set default web browser in Xfce?

Beans

How to set default web browser in Xfce?

The default web browser for Xubuntu was Firefox, but I wanted to change it to Chromium. Somewhere along the line, I put in the wrong name or path, and now I get a "Failed to Execute Default Web Browser" error everytime I click on web browser in the dock or "web browser" in the menu. I cannot find out how to change it (even back to Firefox would be better than nothing).

In the Settings Manager under "Preferred Applications" Chromium shows up as my default web browser so the problem is not there. The problem is that these shortcuts (on the dock and in the menu) point to something that is not correct.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: How to set default web browser in Xfce?

Don't know if this will work in XFCE, but try this: http://crunchbanglinux.org/forums/to...fault-browser/.

Beans

Hello,
    If I understand you correctly: you click on an icon and it fails to launch a browser. Just right click on it and change the path to for example:
    Code:
     chromium-browser
    Hope that helps!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by december0123 View Post
    Hello,
    If I understand you correctly: you click on an icon and it fails to launch a browser. Just right click on it and change the path to for example:
    Code:
     chromium-browser
    Hope that helps!
    That worked for the icon on the dock, but not the first item "Web Browser" in the menu. I think that there is a variable somewhere that holds the default value. I think this because when I right-clicked on the dock icon, there was some code there that I replaced with chromium-browser.

Beans

Ok then!

Right click on the menu, edit it, find the place to write down the command and type
    Code:
     exo-open --launch WebBrowser %u

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bufeu View Post
    Don't know if this will work in XFCE, but try this: http://crunchbanglinux.org/forums/to...fault-browser/.
    Actually, it wasn't the exact solution, but it pointed me to the right directory where I deleted the wrong shortcut and then it allowed me to reconfigure my default web browser. Thanks.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by december0123 View Post
    Ok then!

Right click on the menu, edit it, find the place to write down the command and type
    Code:
     exo-open --launch WebBrowser %u
    Thanks, but I solved the problem. I really appreciate your responding.

Thanks to the both of you.