Thread: reading a stream of numbers from standard input in java

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

reading a stream of numbers from standard input in java

guys, I'm trying to read a stream of numbers from standard input like: 2 3 -3 10 44 9 -1. The line ends once it read -1, but for some reason I have an endless loop... how could I read this stream of numbers one number at a time?

Code:
    int num[] = new int[5];
            char ch;

BufferedReader bf = new BufferedReader(new InputStreamReader(System.in));
            System.out.println("enter series of number: ");         
            int i = 0;
             do{ 
                 num[i] = bf.read();
                 i++;                     
            }while(num[i] != -1);

int j = 0;
             while(j < num.length) {
                 System.out.println(num[j]);
                 j++;
             }
    looking for tips and tutorials, checkout
    http://www.pctechtips.org

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: reading a stream of numbers from standard input in java

It sure would have been nice if you had posted all of your code, so that I could copy it, compile it, and then run it for myself.

Frankly, just doing a static analysis of your code, I would have expected it to throw an exception if it were to attempt to read more than 5 int values, as you have shown in your example input data.

But as for the crux of the problem, you are incrementing the variable 'i' in the do-while loop and then you are checking for the -1. Try using 'i - 1' in the conditional statement in the do-while loop.

P.S. The BufferReader's read() method can throw an IOException, yet I do not see in your code where you are handling that.

P.S #2 I just realized... read() returns a single character; not an int value as you have assumed. You may want to consider using Scanner (w/ the System.in as its arg) for reading numbers. The alternative is to call readLine() method of BufferReader and then convert the string to an int using Integer.parseInt().
    Last edited by dwhitney67; July 25th, 2012 at 01:56 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by dwhitney67 View Post
    It sure would have been nice if you had posted all of your code, so that I could copy it, compile it, and then run it for myself.

Frankly, just doing a static analysis of your code, I would have expected it to throw an exception if it were to attempt to read more than 5 int values, as you have shown in your example input data.

But as for the crux of the problem, you are incrementing the variable 'i' in the do-while loop and then you are checking for the -1. Try using 'i - 1' in the conditional statement in the do-while loop.

P.S. The BufferReader's read() method can throw an IOException, yet I do not see in your code where you are handling that.

P.S #2 I just realized... read() returns a single character; not an int value as you have assumed. You may want to consider using Scanner (w/ the System.in as its arg) for reading numbers. The alternative is to call readLine() method of BufferReader and then convert the string to an int using Integer.parseInt().
    I used an scanner in my original code.. I guess I posted wrong line of code
    looking for tips and tutorials, checkout
    http://www.pctechtips.org

Beans

So do you want to post all of your code? Did you solve your problem?
    My current project: http://apps.facebook.com/beatthetexan - Creating an artificial poker player using neural networks and genetic algorithms.
    My blog: http://pm-gaming.blogspot.com