Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gazelle Professional laptop and NVidia graphics?

Beans

Gazelle Professional laptop and NVidia graphics?

I was under the impression that the Gazelle Professional laptop comes with Intel HD4000 integrated graphics (which it does).

But what is confusing me is that it has a couple of nVidia stickers on it. Does that mean that it actually has the nVidia chips in it as well, and just not enabled right now? Or are the nVidia stickers a mistake?

Curious mind want to know.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Gazelle Professional laptop and NVidia graphics?

I haven't seen any pictures with those on it (don't own one) but it's possible. Some newer systems I've seen from other vendors have dual video cards which can be used accordingly.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

My Gazelle Professional (gazp7) has no NVIDIA stickers on it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by MikeYPK View Post
    I was under the impression that the Gazelle Professional laptop comes with Intel HD4000 integrated graphics (which it does).

But what is confusing me is that it has a couple of nVidia stickers on it. Does that mean that it actually has the nVidia chips in it as well, and just not enabled right now? Or are the nVidia stickers a mistake?

Curious mind want to know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carborundum View Post
    My Gazelle Professional (gazp7) has no NVIDIA stickers on it.
    Those would have been a goof at the factory. The stickers are not supposed to be there.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by isantop View Post
    Those would have been a goof at the factory. The stickers are not supposed to be there.
    Thanks for the response. I had false hopes for a while, but HD4000 ain't bad. It's enough for my purposes

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by isantop View Post
    This isn't the first time they mess up like that. My Pangolin came with Intel HD 3000 and an Nvidia sticker. This was about a year ago and I guess it is still happening every now and they.

Why are they putting the wrong stickers on?

Beans
    Distro

Technically, you have both. It works this way-the processor can double as a GPU as well as a CPU. But, just because you have a dedicated card does not mean the GPU built into the CPU goes away. You can disable dedicated cards in the BIOS, but there is no standard BIOS layout, so you might have to hop around for awhile before you find it.
    Backups are amazing. 99% of data loss can be prevented by spending less than $100 on an external drive.
    If you have seen an error, there is a good chance someone else has, too. Google is your friend.

cprofitt is offline νόησις νοήσεως - nóesis noéseos
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Ubun2to: I am not sure of how the Gazelle Professional (2012 version) has no Nvidia card, but I know that there is no option exposed in bios to turn it on or off. I have been told, not by System76, that the Clevo model the Gazelle is based on has the part soldered on to the motherboard though. Can a System76 person fill us in on this detail? Is the Nvidia part on the board, but disabled or was a different board used?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cprofitt View Post
    Ubun2to: I am not sure of how the Gazelle Professional (2012 version) has no Nvidia card, but I know that there is no option exposed in bios to turn it on or off. I have been told, not by System76, that the Clevo model the Gazelle is based on has the part soldered on to the motherboard though. Can a System76 person fill us in on this detail? Is the Nvidia part on the board, but disabled or was a different board used?
    The new Intel HD Graphics are basically as good as they get-they are starting to give the dedicated mobile graphics card a run for their money.
    If you want a good graphics card, though, the desktop is where you need to go. You can rig a Leopard Extreme with a 4 GB nVidia card.
    Backups are amazing. 99% of data loss can be prevented by spending less than $100 on an external drive.
    If you have seen an error, there is a good chance someone else has, too. Google is your friend.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cprofitt View Post
    The way all Optimus systems are designed is that they use the Intel graphics to display everything on the screen. The Nvidia card, when needed, does its processing and dumps the information into the frame buffer on the Intel "card" to display. There is no unsoldering anything, either you have Optimus or you don't. The closest Sager/Clevo unit to the Pangolin is the Sager NP2252, the Gazelle is a related model similar to the Clevo W258 ELQ but using Intel's high end chips verses the lower end one listed on the page and having much better screen options.

I am hoping that they will offer switchable graphics using Bumblebee, next time since Clevo finally added a backlit keyboard option making the current P150em almost the laptop of my dreams and an excellent candidate for the Serval. I appreciate what System76 does in making sure that their machines run out of the box, there is no hunting for drivers to get things running, no headaches where you have something sort of working. Nvidia has made some movement toward making Bumblebee and their drivers work together better so maybe next update things will meet System76's standards.
    Last edited by pgm_01; September 1st, 2012 at 09:45 AM. Reason: Corrected wrong info!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast