Thread: How do I copy data from a failing drive

Beans

How do I copy data from a failing drive

I've booted off the Ubunto 12.04 LTS CD, installed ddrescue and when attempting to run the command line of:
    ddrescue -r 3 /dev/sdf1 /dev/sda2/image /dev/sda2/logfile
    where sdf1 is the failing HDD and sda2 is the Windows 7 partition, I receive an error of:
    ddrescue: Can't open input file: Permission denied
    The failing drive is 500GB and the destination image is going to a 2TB disk. I'm really new with Ubuntu/Linux and have going through pages and pages of searches trying to found a solution. Any help provided will be truly appreciated. Thanks.
    Last edited by divreu; July 25th, 2012 at 05:30 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: How do I copy data from a failing drive

1) Please, start a new thread for a new problem. Every person is unique, don't you think?

2)
    Quote Originally Posted by divreu View Post
    I've booted off the Ubunto 12.04 LTS CD, installed ddrescue and when attempting to run the command line of:
    ddrescue -r 3 /dev/sdf1 /dev/sda2/image /dev/sda2/logfile
    where sdf1 is the failing HDD and sda2 is the Windows 7 partition, I receive an error of:
    ddrescue: Can't open input file: Permission denied
    You should have device /dev/sda2 mounted somewhere. You cannot access files on a file system via the /dev/xxx device. You may be able to mount (and open) /dev/sda2 from the Places menu or from icons on the desktop. When mounted it may have a path like /media/sda2 or /media/1234-5678 or /media/MyWin7Volume. Exactly what path it have you may be able to see when it is opened. (Or you can issue the mount command in a terminal. This will list mount points, look for a line beginning with /dev/sda2.)

A few other suggestions. Create a directory on the target partition (Windows 7 partition in this case) for this project. In Windows it could be C:\Users\divreu\Documents\rescue_project_2012 or similar. Mounted in ubuntu the same would be something like /media/1234-4567/Users/divreu/Documents/rescue_project_2012. Then use the cd command into that directory to make the rescue command shorter. Also I would call the image something descriptive like "ddrescue.img", "500gb.img" or "seagate.img" and the logfile the same but with ".log" extension: "ddrescue.log", "500gb.log" or "seagate.log".

The commands then would be something like

Code:
    cd /media/1234-4567/Users/divreu/Documents/rescue_project_2012

pwd

ddrescue -r 3 /dev/sdf1 seagate.img seagate.log
    (Replace directory names and file names to what you choose to call them. Do not run that ddrescue command without the preceeding cd command. You do not want the image to be stored in the live system, where there is not room, and where it may disappear. The pwd command will just show you the current directory, to verify the cd command worked.)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: How do I copy data from a failing drive

Question moved to it's own thread.