Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: copy terminal to vi, vi to terminal

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

copy terminal to vi, vi to terminal

I'm installing a fresh 12.04 server to a clean hdd (no desktop gui.) How can I copy lines from vi (a text file with commands that were useful and I have saved from previous installations) to the terminal, and also from the terminal to vi (to remember screen output concerning this installation.) Copying using Nyy in vi does not <shift><ctrl>c to the terminal.

My typing is either fast or accurate, and I'm wasting a lot of time "copy typing" all my saved cron jobs, .conf files etc, from another screen on another server.

Thanks - and apologies if this is a "newbie" question.

Beans

Re: copy terminal to vi, vi to terminal

Are you using a client like PuTTY to ssh in?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

You need to use PuTTY. You can then copy from the terminal by using the mouse to select the text (auto copies to memory) and then right-click to paste whatever is in memory.

LHammonds

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I'm not aware of any way to do that kind of copy/paste in a tty, maybe because I don't know vi well enough.

I always run up an ssh server as soon as possible, then do all the rest of the setup fron another machine that does have a GUI. Ssh from a GUI terminal allows copy/paste into vi sessions, and you can even use nautilus (thunar im my case) with sftp to drag/drop/copy/edit files.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by canucksailor View Post
    I'm installing a fresh 12.04 server to a clean hdd (no desktop gui.) How can I copy lines from vi (a text file with commands that were useful and I have saved from previous installations) to the terminal, and also from the terminal to vi (to remember screen output concerning this installation.) Copying using Nyy in vi does not <shift><ctrl>c to the terminal.

My typing is either fast or accurate, and I'm wasting a lot of time "copy typing" all my saved cron jobs, .conf files etc, from another screen on another server.

Thanks - and apologies if this is a "newbie" question.
    I also use a remote machine and login using SSH so I can use a ptty, but you can do what you want using only the tty on a single non-gui host. See here

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

<quote>I also use a remote machine and login using SSH so I can use a ptty, but you can do what you want using only the tty on a single non-gui host. See here</quote>

Thanks to you all. The "see here" is for copying between 2 instances of vi (I do that regularly), not vi and terminal and vice versa.

I was afraid you were all going to say "use SSH/Putty." I have never been there before. Just set up a Putty client on my desktop, tried to connect to the new server (and a couple of older ones) and get "connection refused". Guess this has something to do with the server not being set up correctly (12.04 with latest upgrade), or some sort of certificate. I'll have to look into that later... but if any of you have a "real quick reference page/cheat sheet" (for the server end and the certificates) that would be helpful.

Again, thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

+1 for all the putty or terminal (emulator) + ssh advice. I do that to.

But you can avoid lots of copy/paste by copying (selected) known good conf files over the default ones from a clean install, eg with scp.

Also, if you have a list of commands you need to run, you can simply turn that list in to a shell script, copy it over to the server, and execute it.

You can take that a step further and also include the copy commands for your conf files in that script - eg by putting them on an intranet web server and wget them from the script. This approach is especially worth considering if you have multiple quit similar servers to set up, and as part of a recovery plan.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

get "connection refused"
    you need to
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install openssh-server
    on the server. That's all it takes to get started.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

@redmk2:
    Yay, that works. I had a feeling it would be possible in vi.

@canucksailor:
    tat trick with vi should get you by. If you want to execute commands that you have in a file, you can just create a file with the commands you want, and then run that filename.

But it will pay off in time if you get that ssh server running and use a gui client on another machine for the rest of the work.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by LHammonds View Post
    You need to use PuTTY. You can then copy from the terminal by using the mouse to select the text (auto copies to memory) and then right-click to paste whatever is in memory.
    You can copy and paste in any linux terminal using the left mouse to select text, and then middle click to paste (not right click!).

I find it very handy nowadays to use a clipboard manager. I use diodon but there are many for ubuntu (search the packages). The advantage is that they maintain a buffer of your clipboard. So I press ctrl+alt+v and a popup lists all my previous clipboard values which I can select from.

Also note in vi/vim that you can edit another file using ":e /some/other_file" then switch back and forward with ctrl+6. Note that tab completion works when entering the file name here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast