Thread: windows 7 to 12.04

Beans

Talking windows 7 to 12.04

Installing 12.04 now and shortly going to put an end to windows 7 i forgot the admin password. i have a sony vaio running windows 7 32-bit with the nvidia geforce graphics card i have 2Gb of RAM...if anyone else has this setup or knows it wont work or has problems(major) please let me know, thank you .

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: windows 7 to 12.04

Quote Originally Posted by CaseSensitive1212 View Post
    Installing 12.04 now and shortly going to put an end to windows 7

=D>

Your computer will work fine. Good job on gettng away from Windows you will love Linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by robtygart View Post
    =D>

Your computer will work fine. Good job on gettng away from Windows you will love Linux.
    I will also attempt to get away from Windows again. Just waiting for the right opportunity. I had issues but i rushed into it(that must be why) also, i had old hardware(i know linux is good on old hardware)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Ubuntu will run fine on your laptop....
    Monitor: LG flatron w1954s 22", mobo: G31-m7 series, CPU: Intel LGA 775 Intel core duo 2 2,66GHZ, RAM: 3GB, GPU: ATI Radeom HD 2400, Storage: 500GB SATA and 80GB IDE, Windows 7 ultimate and Ubuntu

Beans

Could also use other derivatives like xubuntu or lubuntu to conserve more energy on your laptop.
    xubuntu
    lubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by CaseSensitive1212 View Post
    i have a sony vaio running windows 7 32-bit with the nvidia geforce graphics card
    With 2 GB of RAM and nVidia graphics, everything will work fine and buttery smooth. I assume from other specs that the processor is a minimum dual core, possibly i3 or better.

However, Sony Vaio's are notorious for booting into a "black screen" immediately after install. IF you face this problem, There are various ways to get around this, for example, http://jeffhoogland.blogspot.in/2011...ny-vaio-f.html

Good luck!
    Cheers,PRShah
    Make your own: Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Mythbuntu All-in-One Live DVD
    "I never make mistakes; I thought I did, once.. but I was wrong."

Beans

Talking Re: windows 7 to 12.04

Thanks everyone for the support, i am now a smooth running ubuntu member and will forever love the "free spirited" nature of this wonderful OS i am new to the in depth aspect of command lines and all that but we are just getting started. any tips on getting the scroll the be less snappy and more smooth?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

If you want an easy to use highly customizable "EYE CANDY" very pretty with bells and whistles operating system, check out "Kubuntu" same as Ubuntu but with the KDE desktop, I am running 12.04 on an older vista computer and it runs very nice.

Kubuntu Feature Tour