Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Deleting FIle's As Root?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Beans
    10

    Deleting FIle's As Root?

    Ok so i am trying to install Metasploit and i had to install it with Root.And i messed up and i am trying to delete the file's.But it is not letting me delete them since it was done with root.So how do i remove them?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    The Left Coast of the USA
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

    Re: Deleting FIle's As Root?

    What do you mean when you say you did this with root?
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines
    My Blog
    A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Beans
    10

    Re: Deleting FIle's As Root?

    Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    What do you mean when you say you did this with root?
    I had to Install the Program as Root.Sudo Bash
    And now i wan't to know how to delete it has Root user

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    The Left Coast of the USA
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

    Re: Deleting FIle's As Root?

    How did you accomplish this?

    What commands did you use?
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines
    My Blog
    A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Courtenay, BC, Canada
    Beans
    1,661

    Re: Deleting FIle's As Root?

    you could have 'installed' it by a number of ways, first, what program were you installing and what instructions were you using?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Beans
    10

    Re: Deleting FIle's As Root?

    Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    How did you accomplish this?

    What commands did you use?
    Hum well i went into the Terminal and typed Sudo Bash to set my user as root/superuser,Then i went to cd /home/dillon/Downloads then i typed ./metasploit-latest-linux-x64-installer.run
    And then i installed it.Now i don't know how to delete the folder since it was created with root.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    The Left Coast of the USA
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

    Re: Deleting FIle's As Root?

    Did the instructions say to use sudo bash, or would sudo have worked on the .run?
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines
    My Blog
    A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Beans
    656
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

    Re: Deleting FIle's As Root?

    Quote Originally Posted by Yayoushiko View Post
    Ok so i am trying to install Metasploit and i had to install it with Root.And i messed up and i am trying to delete the file's.But it is not letting me delete them since it was done with root.So how do i remove them?
    There are very powerful commands and should be used very carefully.
    If you don't know what your doing you could compromise your operating system and at worse make it inoperatable-

    Are your getting the message:
    " You are not the Owner so you can not change these permission " ?

    If so you have a few options but I strongly advise you to read this documentation first and discuss it with other members before doing anything.
    http://help.ubuntucom/community/ROOTSUDO

    You can change permissions by using:
    sudo chown
    but you must know exactly the path to that file/folder
    yourusername:Yourusername filename.xyz
    Another way is to use nautilus but this is the command that you should use carefully and again; if you don't know what you are doing you could cause havoc to your system. Please read the documentaton.
    And; you could remove the file but I will caution you as I recently removed a file myself and am terrible sorry that I did because I'm having hardware issues.
    Check yourself before you wreck yourself-


    -:- Slackware & Voyager Xubuntu 16.04 -:-


  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    The Left Coast of the USA
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

    Re: Deleting FIle's As Root?

    Without researching exactly what that .run file does or where it puts things (I hope the installation gave you the chance to decide where to install it, therwise you will have to figure out where it went), you might be able to navigate to the directory where it is installed and run something like

    Code:
    sudo ./uninstall
    Even that may take a chmod to make the file executable.

    I did read the installation instructions, and they call for sudo rather than sudo bash.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines
    My Blog
    A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Beans
    10

    Re: Deleting FIle's As Root?

    Quote Originally Posted by UltimateCat View Post
    There are very powerful commands and should be used very carefully.
    If you don't know what your doing you could compromise your operating system and at worse make it inoperatable-

    Are your getting the message:
    " You are not the Owner so you can not change these permission " ?

    If so you have a few options but I strongly advise you to read this documentation first and discuss it with other members before doing anything.
    http://help.ubuntucom/community/ROOTSUDO

    You can change permissions by using:
    sudo chown
    but you must know exactly the path to that file/folder
    yourusername:Yourusername filename.xyz
    Another way is to use nautilus but this is the command that you should use carefully and again; if you don't know what you are doing you could cause havoc to your system. Please read the documentaton.
    And; you could remove the file but I will caution you as I recently removed a file myself and am terrible sorry that I did because I'm having hardware issues.
    @QIII No it said i must be root to install the program that's why i installed it as root.

    And thank you Cat i will try this

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •