Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why do you guys install ubuntu on your macs?

Beans

Why do you guys install ubuntu on your macs?

Why do you guys install linux on your macs?

Beans

Re: Why do you guys install ubuntu on your macs?

For me its the ability to have a newly supported os on the $3000 computer that apple decided to kick to the curb that gets me going. PowerPC is the better architecture IMO.

Beans

I don`t care so much about architecture, but I have to since my old iBook G4 is a powerpc. I have lubuntu on this older portable because I assume the slow cpu (1.42GHz) needs something light. I have Ubuntu on all my computers, the exception has been where graphic card driver has been a source of problem. Luckily Ubuntu has installed rather painlessly on my newest hardware.

I use Ubuntu because it is an open source alternative, it has lots of applications and available software I like, and it has proven to be very adjustable for my use. It is easy to try new stuff, and it goes along with osx very well; in the sense that I don`t miss anything when I boot in Ubuntu. I`m not very pro or con either apple or microsoft, but I like the open source alternative. I like to be able to handle any situation that comes a long, be able to quickly adjust to any computer and operative system when needed and not be confined to just one of them.
    Last edited by 2blue; July 23rd, 2012 at 02:10 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

The Macbook Pro was just better hardware when I bought

When I bought my current laptop, the other 17" laptops were about an inch thicker, hotter, louder, 1080p vs 1200p, consumed more power 120-145w vs 85w adapters, the power adapters were 2x bigger, the batteries lasted half as long, uglier and I still wanted to be able to run OSX occasionally to tinker with iOS applications.

Beans

Not a fan of the whole Apple Eco System, and have been running Linux since 95...so it was a no brainier.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Because sometimes I may prefer a Lion and other times I may want a Precise Pangolin...

Beans

OS X is nice. However, when you buy a top end laptop that costs you $3.6K, you might as well use it to learn / try as many new things possible along with the familiar OS X operating system that you can always fall back on when you can't do it in a Linux flavor.

Beans

Well , I like linux and mac equally and you can not get mac snow leopard , lion or mountain lion on power pc macs so there are more software options with linux . That said I would use linux anyways because it is free and great and it has a great community willing to help others . Also I think apple is going to eventually stop making the mac os and instead use a version of IOS on there computers so when that happens linux will be the only real desktop operating system left and I do not like tablet operating systems at all .
    Last edited by Seth Mac Fan; July 24th, 2012 at 03:08 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I'm a newcomer to the thread.

I've been 'playing at the edges' of Linux since the mid-90's and that has included membership in several Linux groups in one place or another over the years. Have Lion on my MacBook, but there's an old eMac here which I wanted to do something different with. Up until tonight, it was running OS X 10.5.8.

Ubuntu has made immense progress since I first used it. It's very well supported and has been ready for 'prime time' for a number of years now. But the PPC version is fading for lack of support. So....

Decided to give the eMAC a new assignment. I will use it to continue my Linux learning - and there is still a long way to go - while doing what I can here to help out others.

Basically I'm still a newbie when it comes to Linux, but I've been banging my head against the wall long enough to have learned some things about it. If I can pass some of that along, so be it.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Mitch

Beans

Not sure if you guys miss understood me but i was actually trying to compared why u guys got rid of OSX on your new apple machines new imacs/macbooks, ones that comes with lion

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast