Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of buying a System 76 Laptop, Wondering If I will be able to install Mint

Beans

Thinking of buying a System 76 Laptop, Wondering If I will be able to install Mint

Hello,

I'm new to Linux and I'm thinking of buying a system 76 Laptop. I'm not that confident in my ability to do command line or text based installations and I think I'd like to run Mint on it. Would there be a graphical interface way to this? or a relatively simple text based way to do this?

Also, any thoughts on Systems 76's laptops, and good user interfaces or operating systems would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Artificial Intelligence; July 21st, 2012 at 06:53 PM. Reason: added prefix

anewguy is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Thinking of buying a System 76 Laptop, Wondering If I will be able to install Min

Nothing against Mint - it's derived from Ubuntu, but why don't you just install Ubuntu?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Thinking of buying a System 76 Laptop, Wondering If I will be able to install Min

Hi ,
    i am not sure , but i think that you will be able to install any Linux OS you want.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

there is a support area for system 76

http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=341

might post your questions there might have better success

have you tried a "live cd" of 12.04 or mint?
    on install no command line required it walks you through what you need to do and easy , only a few things you need to enter

phantom
    Last edited by the.phantom; July 21st, 2012 at 01:36 AM.

Beans

Thanks for the responses!

It seems that Mint is much more customizable than Ubuntu with Unity, so that makes it preferable, but I'm new to Linux so I really don't know.

Sounds like the live CD should work. Just for Clarity, a live CD will allow me to install Mint from a machine that started with Ubuntu?

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Moved to Other OS/Distro Talk.
    | AMD Ryzen 1700x 3.4 GHz | ASUS PRIME X370-A | 32 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4 |
    | ASUS Nvidia 1070 8 GB | SSD 250 GB | HDD 1 TB |
    My Desktop |

Try elementary OS - https://elementary.io

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Coriander Redgoat View Post
    It seems that Mint is much more customizable than Ubuntu with Unity, so that makes it preferable, but I'm new to Linux so I really don't know.
    Well, you don't have to use the default Unity desktop that will come with your system76 machine. You can install any desktop environment/window manager you want in any distro...including installing Cinnamon (the default desktop in Mint) in Ubuntu. All it takes is about three lines copied and pasted into the terminal, and a couple of minutes of downloading. Then your done. Alot quicker and easier than formatting the drive and installing a new distro...just to try out a new desktop environment.

But if you are mostly a tinkerer who wants to play with extreme customization, then you probably want to go ahead and move to Kubuntu with the KDE desktop. Gnome 3 and it's various shells (Gnome Shell, Unity, Cinnamon) aren't really that customizable yet.
    "The Linux philosophy is laugh in the face of danger. Oops. Wrong one. Do it yourself. That's it." --Linus Torvalds

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Or if you don't mind having a very attractive "mac-like" dock on the bottom that auto-hides and has excellent functionality, consider adding "cairo-dock" from the ubuntu software center, then you can log into cairo dock session (with either standard panel on top or the unity global menu panel on top) from the "log in screen"....

That's what i use (i don't mind unity but like cairo dock better)...I also tried the cinnamon session but settled into cairo dock session instead (has become my favorite for ubuntu)...

Give it a try and see what you think

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Linux runs on a ton of different hardware and since System 76 is a company that sells Linux products you will be able to run any Linux distro on it.

Beans

Heck! Why not buy a windows laptop and install Mint? The Choice is yours. Zareason also makes laptops without the Intel 4500HD chip.
    Steam: ubuntugamer( Add me ) | Gaming: Left 4 Dead 2, Metro Last Light, Assassin's Creed 4, Forced

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast