Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Power Mac G5 Refusing to Install 12.04

Beans

Re: Power Mac G5 Refusing to Install 12.04

I removed the airport card to eliminate that bug str8bs was talking about but I was still running into the same problem, so I loaded the alternate CD and tried cli-expert video=ofonly. I could only read these things for a brief amount of time because the text was scrolling, but one of the errors that appeared was "sata link down!". The computer first hangs at the message: Attached SCSI generic sg1 type 5- this is when my fans go full speed. Moments later this message appears: CPU #1 stuck for 23s!-this is followed by exception errors and eventually the 1.s I was talking about in the first post. Its like the installer isn't detecting my hardware correctly and loading the wrong drivers and causing problems.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rsavage View Post
    I'm pretty sure if you don't use video=ofonly in debian, then you get this sort of thing http://www.mintppc.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=973 .
    In my thick skull now. Thanks!

ImAliveG5- the ofonly option is a Debian and not Ubuntu thing which rsavage pointed out. My fault for confusing the issue. Won't solve your problem though.

Doubt it will affect your current issue, but the ethernet in OSX issue is an unresolved anomaly.
    In OSX, rename the file /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist
    to
    /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist.old
    Reboot and see if the interfaces show back up in OSX.

Probably stating the obvious again, but other than getting kernel people as rsavage mentioned, I'm at a loss.

Sometimes resetting PRAM or PMU work miracles, but I doubt those would impact what your are seeing.http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379

Hopefully prymus will check back in and see something we are missing.

rsavage is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans

What messages do you get when you use the 64 bit option (which you should be using)?

Beans

What messages do you get when you use the 64 bit option (which you should be using)?
    The computer hangs at:

[ 2.494484] USB 3-2.1 new full-speed USB device number 3 using ohci_hcd

Then shows this after a while:

[ 28.036468] BUG: soft lockup-CPU#0 stuck for 23s!(modprobe:52)

This is followed by modules linked in, a call trace, and exception-all are followed by other values that I can post if I need to.

str8bs, I tried that and it made no difference. Osx does see my ports, but I cannot use them. They appear in the about this mac but for the past 2 years they show to have no driver installed, even when I reinstall the OS.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ImAliveG5 View Post
    str8bs, I tried that and it made no difference. Osx does see my ports, but I cannot use them. They appear in the about this mac but for the past 2 years they show to have no driver installed, even when I reinstall the OS.
    I was hoping to rule out and not possibly confirm a hardware issue. Be aware, I am WAY in to speculation territory at this point. Here is my thinking:
    1. prymus confirms no problem on same hardware
    2. OSX says drivers not installed for ethernet (Maybe not recognizing hardware correctly?)
    3. 10.10 doesn't seem to have an issue booting.

All I see left is kernel problem or hardware problem. Might be worth a shot:
    To rule out ethernet, there may be a way to use boot params to blacklist where your ethernet gets modprobed. (Similar to the b43 issue.) I would have to google which module/parameters. Anyone else have ideas?

BTW- Kudos to your tenacity. Don't let it win. Bonus points for your screen name that reminds of Ally Sheedy and the robot in 86.
    Last edited by str8bs; July 25th, 2012 at 01:02 AM. Reason: BTW

rsavage is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans

Install 10.04. It still has nearly a year left of support. Otherwise you are going to get disheartened pretty quickly. Setup a separate partition you can use for testing.

Once you find your feet in linux you can then start tackling your kernel problem in 12.04.
    Last edited by rsavage; July 25th, 2012 at 09:16 AM.

Beans

Install 10.04. It still has nearly a year left of support. Otherwise you are going to get disheartened pretty quickly. Setup a separate partition you can use for testing.

Once you find your feet in linux you can then start tackling your kernel problem in 12.04.
    I can begin once I get home.

Beans

I successfully installed 12.04 on a 2005 Mac Mini G4 1,4GhZ with the boot option

live-nosplash-powerpc

However, this didn't work on an iMac G3 700MhZ (iLamp). Here I used

live video=ofonly nouveau.modeset=0

which lead to the installation desktop, but it is in the often cited "psychedelic colors". The installation runs now and I hope, that the colour issue will have gone after the reboot. I will give an update, when it's done.

Best regards,
    Ricardo Cristof

//Edit: Nope, color issue remains and I'm too tired for further experiments today...
    Last edited by rcristofrf; July 29th, 2012 at 05:45 PM. Reason: Adding results

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234