Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Having issues setting up DNS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Question Having issues setting up DNS

I'm fairly new to Linux (played with Ubuntu desktop somewhat, this is my first server install). I work as a web developer and I'm trying to set up a local development server for me and two other guys in the office to work off of.

I installed LAMP and Samba during the initial installation process and have managed to get everything working fine if we use windows HOST file to point the different domain names to the server, however having followed several tutorials (all saying roughly the same thing) to set up bind9 and then set my main domain as fluid.dev and then fluidcms.dev and fluideshop.dev as CNAME records of fluid.dev. I then have then set the windows machines primary DNS to point to the ubuntu server, however they cannot resolve any of those three names to IP addresses.

I know everything else is set up correctly because if I set the IP address using the HOSTS file on the windows machines it connects through to the websites correctly. What do I need to check on the DNS server? I don't know the troubleshooting process.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Having issues setting up DNS

Quote Originally Posted by styphon View Post
    I'm fairly new to Linux (played with Ubuntu desktop somewhat, this is my first server install). I work as a web developer and I'm trying to set up a local development server for me and two other guys in the office to work off of.

I installed LAMP and Samba during the initial installation process and have managed to get everything working fine if we use windows HOST file to point the different domain names to the server, however having followed several tutorials (all saying roughly the same thing) to set up bind9 and then set my main domain as fluid.dev and then fluidcms.dev and fluideshop.dev as CNAME records of fluid.dev. I then have then set the windows machines primary DNS to point to the ubuntu server, however they cannot resolve any of those three names to IP addresses.

I know everything else is set up correctly because if I set the IP address using the HOSTS file on the windows machines it connects through to the websites correctly. What do I need to check on the DNS server? I don't know the troubleshooting process.
    Can you post the output of
    Code:
    nslookup fluid.dev
    on the window machine?
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.

Beans
    Distro

I've finished work for the weekend now. I'll post the results on Monday.

Beans
    Distro

Morning, this is the result from one of the windows machines.
    C:\Users\Fluid>nslookup fluid.dev
    Server: UnKnown
    Address: 192.168.254.60

*** UnKnown can't find fluid.dev: Server failed

Beans
    Distro

Can nobody help me get DNS working?

Beans
    Distro

Can nobody help me get DNS working?
    No one can help because your problem is too big.There are so many issues that prevent your dns server from running. Here are some books for serious work: Pro DNS and BIND, DNS and BIND. Only specific issues can be answered here, I think.
    Nvidia 525M and bumblebee 3.x

Beans
    Distro

That's what I was afraid of . I guess we'll just have to live with HOST files. Thanks anyway.

Beans
    Distro

That's what I was afraid of . I guess we'll just have to live with HOST files. Thanks anyway.
    Wait! There's these two useful utilities to help you: name-checkconf to check your dns conf file and name-checkzone to check your zone files for any errors.

Try them and google solutions to the errors before getting help here.
    Nvidia 525M and bumblebee 3.x

Beans
    Distro

OK, I made some progress. It wasn't opening the file, I'd not referred to it in the correct place. I cleared my HOST file and flushed my DNS on the windows machine. Now when I do nslookup from the windows machine I get the correct IP and I can also ping it successfully.

However, when I browse to it I get website unavailable. When I was using the HOST file and browsed to it it worked perfectly fine. Why would this change when using DNS?

Beans
    Distro

Done some testing, tried googling a few things and still cannot get this to work. The domain is configured correctly as far as I can see. I can type the domain address in on the local machine and it will bring up the website perfectly fine.

On the windows machine I can use nslookup and ping and it resolves the IP address correctly, however when I use any browser to try an reach the site I get website unavailable and OpenDNS kicks in (my secondary DNS server). If I manually link the IP address to the website address using the HOST file and then browse to the website it works perfectly fine.

Does anyone know what could cause this, or have any ideas on how to track down the problem?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast