Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hardware required to run unity

Beans
    Hidden!

Unhappy hardware required to run unity

I've just downloaded and installed 11.04!
    No Unity!
    it says I don't have "the hardware required to run unity"!
    I have a GeForce 9400 with 1GB dedicated ram graphic card!! (a Dual-core 5300MHz CPU and 4GB ram)
    how it's not enough??!!

when I run "/usr/lib/nux/unity_support_test -p" I get:
    Code:
    $ /usr/lib/nux/unity_support_test -p  
    OpenGL vendor string:   Mesa Project
    OpenGL renderer string: Software Rasterizer
    OpenGL version string:  2.1 Mesa 7.10.2

Not software rendered:    no
    Not blacklisted:          yes
    GLX fbconfig:             yes
    GLX texture from pixmap:  no
    GL npot or rect textures: yes
    GL vertex program:        yes
    GL fragment program:      yes
    GL vertex buffer object:  yes
    GL framebuffer object:    yes
    GL version is 1.4+:       yes

Unity supported:          no
    It's a shame!
    Is there anything I can do?!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: hardware required to run unity

Have you installed and configured the Proprietary drivers correctly? I'm not sure about the relationship between Unity and the Open Source drivers.
    The truth is out there

Beans

I installed 11.04 in a VM as a test and got the 'insufficient hardware' error you mentioned.

I then installed 11.04 on my laptop, (Core2Duo 2.8 GHz, 4 Gb RAM, 1GB vid), and got the same error. I did a system update, still could not enable unity. I ran the Ubuntu Software Center to install Eclipse, when I was alerted to found proprietary drivers for my video card.

Once the drivers were properly installed, (after a long, slow, download), and a system reboot - voila - Unity desktop.

So this is not necessarily a hardware issue - may be more likely related to drivers, as per gyussz.

Beans

typically Virtual Machines don't support 3D acceleration which is required for the unity eye-candy. Try doing an actually install and then enabling the proprietary driver for your video card and see what results you get.

-or-

try the live disk, then install/enable the proprietary drivers for your video card.

I got the same error until I installed/enabled the proprietary drivers.

Beans

Hi all ! I'm a new user of ubuntu and i don't really know how to install the appropriate drivers ! May someone explain to me what i should do to install those drivers
    Thanks

Beans

Maybe I'm wrong but while upgrading ubuntu warns you about "some" proprietary drivers being deactivated which basically means it is, very likely, deactivating your graphics driver alongside with probably some others.

To activate it, you can go to the menu System > Administration > Additional Drivers, you will see your deactivated driver activate it...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Using the Administration > Additional Drivers worked for me. Appreciate the help.

Beans

I got the same error message when trying to install 11.04 on VMware Player, hosted by Windows 7.

I wanted to install it on a VM so as to try Unity before installing/upgrading my 10.10 laptop.
    I didn't want to install alongside Windows because of some horrible experiences doing so a little while back.

Is there any way to ensure that 3D acceleration is enabled via VMware? Or is that just impossible?

I'd really prefer to run from a VM rather than installing proper....

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by G_R_O_N_D View Post
    Is there any way to ensure that 3D acceleration is enabled via VMware? Or is that just impossible?

Thanks.
    Not sure about unity and Vmware, but I think you have to install VMware tools (or something like that, it's kinda the same thing as VirtualBox quest additions). Found this with a quick googling: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VMware/Tools

Hope that helps, I'm not familiar with VMware.
    The truth is out there

Beans

i am having a similar problem in that it says i do not have the hardware to run unity i have an asus-n53sv with a gt540m 1gb ddr3 card so the hardware is there when i go into the additional drivers app it says they are activated but not in use is there a way to activate it through terminal
    thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast