Thread: DVD Burner Hardware

Beans

DVD Burner Hardware

Hello Ubuntu forums,
    My ol' lady wants to be able to backup family pictures onto a DVD. However, due to size constraints it needs to be a slimline one. So do any of you have recommendations on a Ubuntu friendly DVD slimline drive? I am on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

Beans

Re: DVD Burner Hardware

Only a sample of 1, but FWIW I had an LG that was a total lemon. It quit working on DVDS in a couple of weeks and on anything within a couple of months. I wouldn't buy another. Can't say I've kept track of the brand names of the ones that were ok. I think maybe one was Adaptec or something like that. The one I'm using now is maybe a year old. Without taking it out and looking for labels I can't tell the name but it has an odd logo like "hw" with the h flipped left to right, like a mirror image and with the long upper arm of the h bent back over to the left. I've used maybe half a dozen over the years. I never had any compatibility problems with cd/dvd drives and any linux. I've only seen those kinds of problems with hard drives, and those problems were really pretty minor. Not to say it doesn't happen. But that's my limited experience for what it's worth. I'll be interested to hear others'.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I just looked up a comparison of DVD+R vs. DVD-R and one thing said was that slimline DVDs are not approved by either of the two commities who grade DVDs. They are unreliable. Sony is the only company on both committies, so I would go with a Sony DVD burner. I googled DVD+R vs. DVD-R, but I don't have the site IRL. Hope this helps.
    A to Z Answers to a lot of your questions....NewDocs.
    Book Download about 13.10.

Beans

Thanks for the replies. I will keep looking before I purchase a drive. However, this gave me a solid starting point to look at what brands. As far as software I was just going to use imgburn unless there is other better software.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

If it is just for pictures you might consider skipping the burner entirely and just using USB sticks which would be cheaper. Prettry well all computers are equipped for USB so you would be able to view the photos on the PC,If you want to view the pictures on the TV it would need a USB outlet
    MB: Asrock Extreme4-M CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @3.50GHz Memory: Corsair Low Profile Vengeance 16.00 GB. GC On CPU HD4000 Platform: x86_64 Distribution: Dual Boot -Ubuntu 1804 Bionic Beaver with Cinnamon DE and Linux Mint 18 Sarah Cinnamon

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_Longstreth View Post
    As far as software I was just going to use imgburn unless there is other better software.
    ImgBurn does work fairly well under Wine, although it is limited to mp3 when burning music.
    IMO, Brasero & k3b do equally good a job quality wise, without having to drag in all the extra dependencies needed by Wine.

Beans

I haven't just piled files into a cd in a long time so I couldn't compare burners for that use, but for burning images (disk images, like filename.iso I mean, not pictures), for a graphical ap, k3b is totally peerless. Brasero may have gotten better since I tried it though. But at the time it was no contest. If you were really pressed for drive space I'd use some cli tools, but otherwise k3b is great. And I'm not generally a kde fan.