Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Struggling to find a way to use my ipod with Ubuntu

Beans

Re: Struggling to find a way to use my ipod with Ubuntu

Thanks for the quick answer!

I managed with a lot of fiddling to get it working. I believe the problems arose because I am running a 64bit linux. Indeed, if you compare our output, the only difference is in my
    7 - Architecture: [ amd64 ]
    versus your
    7 - Architecture: [ i386 ]

As a consequence, many required libraries resided in a different folder than what the installation procedure expected: the installation said it could not find them in /usr/lib/i36-linux-gnu because they were in /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu. So I renamend and relinked, then performed the installation, and afterwards undid the renaming and relinking. I don't know why this worked, so I can't recommend it, but since it worked for me, somebody might find this useful.

Beans

I'm desperately trying to get this to work (install gtkpod).

I paste both of the aforementioned code groups into Terminal and execute them one at a time.

In step 2- (2 Download, compile and install:-) am I supposed to do something after Step 2 ends? That is- "compile" "install"? If so, would you please give the commands I'm to use and where they're to be executed?

Thanks.

There is no .deb file on my Desktop

Beans

First off:

Quote Originally Posted by PDA1 View Post
    I'm desperately trying to get this to work (install gtkpod).

I paste both of the aforementioned code groups into Terminal and execute them one at a time.

In step 2- (2 Download, compile and install:-) am I supposed to do something after Step 2 ends? That is- "compile" "install"? If so, would you please give the commands I'm to use and where they're to be executed?

Thanks.

There is no .deb file on my Desktop
    What does the last line say when the installation is done? If it says something like

configure: error: *** No package 'libgpod-1.0' found

you basically just have to install that package and then do the whole thing again.

Now, I've run in to some problems too. I was missing a couple of packages so naturally the installation stopped and asked for them.
    After installing everything it asked for it now stops at the same place in the process and says:

configure: error: The curl library could not be found. Explicity disable support by rerunning with --without-curl

I have both the packages curl and curlftpfs insalled, and I've been trying to figure out where --without-curl is supposed to be inserted but can't seem to get it right.
    Anyone have any suggestion?

Cheers!

Beans

My opinion is simple- give up. I did.

Instead I use GtkPod by way of Ubuntu 10.04 in Virtual Box.

Here's how I did it-

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2199542

GtkPod is a fantastic program but whoever is developing it should see that other versions of Ubuntu can use it and not leave it to be configured by someone whose an expert computer operator to get it to run.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Rhytmbox worked perfectly for me when I had my iPod back in the day...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Kamron View Post
    Rhytmbox worked perfectly for me when I had my iPod back in the day...
    Past tense- "worked"

I've tried them all (see my link above) and have exhausted too many hours in hope against hope that I could get anything to work other than iTunes (which I will not use anymore).

Very, very few people are going to expend their time in trying to get a program to work after about 2 hours. If it doesn't work "out of the box" (as they say) or with a few minor, easy changes then it's not worth using. And the idiot(s) that have the fancy web sites that answer questions (supposed questions) about, "does Linux offer a program like iTunes?", then they promptly blab about the various junk programs that'll run an iPod....even though they never, ever tried themselves to see if they work.
    Here's an example- http://askubuntu.com/questions/90197...ynchronization

And forget about putting video onto an iPod Classic unless you know how to convert it using FFMPEG to mp4 or m4v and if the video is over 15 minutes in length then you really have to know what you're doing. Don't expect any help from the grouches on the FFMPEG mailing list either. The only one that knows how to solve those sort of problems is "FakeOutdoorsman" here on the Ubuntu forum. He knows his stuff and is very helpful.

GtkPod is great...it really is. But the guy that's writing the program never fixes it for newer versions of Ubuntu and yet continues its development.

I have no loyalties to any program- I just need something to easily work with my iPod (which I now use in Virtual Box running Ubuntu 10.04.

Beans

The question you link to is over two years old and refers to a long EOL release, so I'm not sure why you're calling people idiots/liars...
    Furthermore, the programs in question all use the libgpod library, so if none of them work, it's probably an issue with that (or one of its supporting libraries like libimobiledevice).

And forget about putting video onto an iPod Classic unless you know how to convert it using FFMPEG to mp4 or m4v and if the video is over 15 minutes in length then you really have to know what you're doing. Don't expect any help from the grouches on the FFMPEG mailing list either.
    Handbrake has presets for those devices, but I'm guessing you tried that?
    What would happen if your hard disk died right now?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Temüjin View Post
    The question you link to is over two years old and refers to a long EOL release, so I'm not sure why you're calling people idiots/liars...
    Furthermore, the programs in question all use the libgpod library, so if none of them work, it's probably an issue with that (or one of its supporting libraries like libimobiledevice).

Handbrake has presets for those devices, but I'm guessing you tried that?
    Oh, I wasn't calling them liars....just idiots.

Each version of Handbrake has presets that are dependent on a specific version of FFMPEG. If you don't have them right then you'll only get an unuseable transcode.

Beans

The first thing I would do is try a live version of Ubuntu Trusty, as it has the later versions of libgpod and libimobiledevice. If that doesn't work, then my next guess would be that it's an issue with libhashab.so:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2030727
    What would happen if your hard disk died right now?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Temüjin View Post
    The first thing I would do is try a live version of Ubuntu Trusty, as it has the later versions of libgpod and libimobiledevice. If that doesn't work, then my next guess would be that it's an issue with libhashab.so:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2030727

Thanks for the ideas but I've chased too many solutions like that to end up where I am now.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast