Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: sound software producing no sounds

Beans

sound software producing no sounds

None of Virtual Midi nor Audacious nor any of the other new installations that I completed using sudo tasksel are producing any outputs through my computer speakers. SOUND, however, verifies that my Ubuntu installation *is* connected to my hardware. What's happening and how do I fix it so that I can actually use these installed softwares?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: sound software producing no sounds

Welcome to Ubuntu

try unmuting the s/pdif controls is alsamixer.

Beans

As you suspected, jmfal, the S/PDIF was [off] when I went into terminal / alsamixer v1.0.25. Master showed 100, PCM 70, all of Line, CDMic, MicBoos, Video, Phone were at 0 along with S/PDIF. The question now becomes 'HOW do I unmute the S/PDIF?". I could find no means of changing any of the settings while I was in the terminal.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by bgrumbin View Post
    The question now becomes 'HOW do I unmute the S/PDIF?". I could find no means of changing any of the settings while I was in the terminal.
    Hi ,
    when you are in terminal (in alsamixer) you can navigate with arrow keys and mute - unmute with "m" key. Volume up or Volume down with up- down arrow keys.
    Thanks

Beans
    Distro

I was hoping you would click on the alsamixer link below so I wouldn't have to explain.

Beans

There are two of the prospects that have no sound bars above them: MicBoos and S/PDIF. So when I press "m" the MM disappears and instead I get a "00" which refuses to adjust with the arrow keys that I used to eliminate the red line portion of Master. With the <F6> I have tried adjusting it with all three of the available choices including my identified Ensoniq Audio PCI. Chip Cirrus Logic CS4297A rev3. No matter what I choose, I continue to get the "00" for S/PDIF devoid of sound bar and devoid of response to the arrow keys. With that "00" S/PDIF setting refusing to change, even though it is no longer [OFF], the Virtual Midi Keyboard continues to produce no sound.

Beans
    Distro

I don't mess with that stuff, but somebody the other day had the same problem with drumstick, and it was suggested that they install the timidity package and set output to 1 or 0

There was no reply after that so I'm not sure if it worked.

Maybe there is some kind of setting like that in the app you're using.

Try going to sound settings and change the card there to the digital card.

Beans

Initially i was using Windows and Mac Operating System and now in my System all systems has been migrated from Mac to Ubuntu, so do not have any idea about it, the sound driver has installed on my system, it is showing the Speaker icon on the task bar, and can connect speakers also to it but without speakers i cannot hear the sound, is there any setting to be done or anything missing in it?

Beans
    Distro

To james12, Welcome to Ubuntu
    Click on the alsamixer link below.
    Is your problem no sound, or is it related to the thread?

Beans

Responding to recent suggestions: TIMIDITY made the problems WORSE so that now the RhythmBox is incapable of normal sound volumes, even with all available volume settings boosted to maximum. Made no change to the inability of alsamixer to provide a means of adjusting S/PDIF nor to the functionality of the Midi Keyboard. I'm going to need to uninstall that nonsense and preparing at least to try on the Ubuntu Software site momentarily.

As for changing the card to digital in SOUND, there is one only possible choice offered which is to "Play Sound thru Analog output ES1371 [Audio PCI-97]". There is no digital choice offered.

Still no progress on the original question which is how to run the installed music software which has proven incapable of producing so much as a peep despite the SOUND tester proving connection to the physical hardware required.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast