Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: sound software producing no sounds

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: sound software producing no sounds

Was your sound working before you installed these apps??

If you have sound then you just need to make connection from app to sound.
    Don't worry about s/pdif for now.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jmfal View Post
    Was your sound working before you installed these apps??
    If you have sound then you just need to make connection from app to sound.
    Don't worry about s/pdif for now.
    Yes and No. Rhythmbox has been flakey all along, even before I installed the entire set of music apps using sudo tasksel. It regularly stops playing any sounds in the midst of known good MP3s, for example, takes the expected amount of time to end of record in silence and then starts up on the next song in the list. SOUND tells me I have consistently good connectivity between Ubuntu and my pair of speakers, even if Rhythmbox quits using it in mid MP3 with all too much regularity. The tests in SOUND always succeed. So it isn't only the newly installed apps which have never connected but also the originally installed Rhythmbox which flakes out as described.

Bottom line remains how to "make connection from app to sound" when none of them has any offered controls for making (or improving to becoming consistent) the connection between the apps and the verified functional by SOUND speakers.

Beans
    Distro

Have you installed ubuntu-restricted-extras
    It should solve the mp3 problem

Code:
      sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras
    Restart pc/laptop
    unmute sound
    try some music

Beans

Sudo couldn't find it but Ubuntu Software Center did on "multiverse" where I got ubuntu-restricted-extras installed. There were also four other updates from Ubuntu which I had installed during the same online session. Then did a cold reboot of my VMware Ubuntu. Reset SOUND to normal amplification. Have four MP3 files on my Ubuntu for testing purposes. Rhythmbox played thru the 2:17 and 1:43 files but shorted out at 2:00/4:11 and 1:03/3:24, pretty much what it was doing before these installations (although I hadn't previously annotated *where* the shorting out was occurring). Problem remains exactly the same with Rhythmbox. Out of curiosity, I also tried the Virtual MIDI Keyboard yet again; it too still refuses to make a peep.

Beans
    Distro

So are you running ubuntu in a vm?

Beans

Absolutely for sure, "trying" to run Ubuntu as a virtual machine, complete with sandbox to protect my normal business systems from attack. Wasn't aware, when I started exploring Ubuntu, of its particular insistences for massive exposure to being "online" which outnumber even the absurd set of "updates" that Micey Sorft demands for its slopperating system (but doesn't necessarily get since they were identified as the exclusive suspect for "Melissa" style expungement of politically sensitive photos and some entire directories of such photos and subsequent sabotage of the entire Win7 desktop). But it wouldn't have made any difference if I had known since I am loath to allow, especially persistent, demands for access to my computers regardless of the reasons, without at least a sandbox to provide "some" protection and an "unknown to me" security risk such as Ubuntu would certainly have required a sandbox treatment regardless.

Yes, I am aware of some things which VMware does in the way of interference with normal functioning of "some" programs. For example, my decades successful DOS programming platform, which has helped me write the entirety of my business entourage of programs, has one key function (search and replace in source files) which VMware uses to shut down or lock up the operation of the platform. Isn't allowed to run at all under Win7, so that's scant complaint about VMware which *is* allowing me to carry on with the rest of my decades successful business programs since at least I "can" work around the absence of search and replace functions (but not the total absence of ability to patch and improve my proggies).

Dunno whether that is impacting the operation of Rhythmbox or any of the others. Fact is, I haven't been able to get VMTools installed into Ubuntu yet because the "help" VMware provides suggests it is a more complicated process than I'm capable of dealing with yet in an unknown to me operating system. Known, however, to the extent that when I noticed (via making a movie of them and extracting the frames involved) the repeated flashed references, on the way in and out of the Ubuntu virtual machine, to /etc/default/speech-dispatcher, and attempted to change its "no" to a "yes" as the file itself suggests, I was blocked from storing the changed config file and in a Terminal couldn't even get access to that little tidbit of inherently suggested change. So I've been following the suggestions given in this forum (within the mandatory context of the VMware sandbox) in an effort to get some use out of Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro

Running a vm causes some problem with sound in ubuntu
    I did some googling
    1 set client tools (virtual audio) to AC97
    2 install guest additions
    3 try logging into ubuntu as a single user ( you will be root, so all commands requiring sudo >> don't need to use sudo)

Beans

I'll be trying your suggestions a bit later this afternoon. But I did misspeak myself when I said I didn't have VMTools installed in Ubuntu (that's my attempt at setting up a sandbox for freeBSD that has *that* problem). Of course I have VMTools installed, that's how I got those four music files copied over into the "Music" directory in Ubuntu. I began this attempt to install Ubuntu at the suggestion of a friend who has made several excellent suggestions in the past (including Thunderbird v10 as an email client) and who uses Ubuntu as his primary operating system. With two serious winners to his credit, I'd rather this suggestion prove useful too. Thanks for the continued flow of "things to try that might work".

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Hi,
    Have been having the same prob.
    Have looked everywhere here on the forum and in the end tried this.
    It had the default card in F6 so I changed it to the next one down.
    Am loathe to play with these things so took a risk and now it works.
    Many thanks to everybodys help

/home/greg/Pictures/Screenshot from 2012-07-21 16:19:21.png
    Will go and do some more reading and find out how to put in pics.
    Last edited by 2burke; July 21st, 2012 at 05:36 AM. Reason: to get pic of alsamixer in

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Again the people on Ubuntu are really good with their info.Found out how to upload pic. and here it is for the last post.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast