View Poll Results: Has this thread been helpful?

Voters
811. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

550 67.82%
  • No

104 12.82%
  • Somewhat

157 19.36%
Page 61 of 184 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371111161 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Wireless Security - WPA1, WPA2, LEAP, etc.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Re: HOWTO: Wireless Security - WPA1, WPA2, LEAP, etc.

@monomaniacpat:

That's bad news. Yes, you specify the "wpa-driver" in your "interfaces" file and has nothing to do with your actual device driver ("rtl8180").
    Starting /sbin/wpa_supplicant...
    ioctl[SIOCSIWAUTH]: Operation not supported
    WEXT auth param 7 value 0x1 - ioctl[SIOCSIWENCODEEXT]: Operation not supported
    ioctl[SIOCSIWENCODEEXT]: Operation not supported
    "wext" is definitely the right "wpa-driver" as "ndiswrapper"requires it. However, the problem seems to be that your Windows driver (deployed via "ndiswrapper") does not support WPA. You could try to get hold of the latest Windows driver for your adapter and reinstall it. The vendor's website should through some light on the issue.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I haven't got ndiswrapper set up, mind. I'm happy to switch to that, if you like. What I don't understand is how I get it to start on boot, as opposed to the open source driver. Would edit /etc/modules do it?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by monomaniacpat View Post
    I haven't got ndiswrapper set up, mind. I'm happy to switch to that, if you like. What I don't understand is how I get it to start on boot, as opposed to the open source driver. Would edit /etc/modules do it?
    What confuses me is that your interface is referred to as "wlan0". That name is usually reserved for wireless adapters that have been installed through "ndiswrapper". That's what made me think that you aren't using native drivers.

Nevertheless, the error message is no good news as it basically says that all wpa-related settings in "interfaces" aren't recognized. So unless you install another driver or possibly "ndiswrapper", you'll have to stick to WEP (which I don't recommend of course).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

That's fine, I'll swap to ndiswrapper - just point me in the right direction, would you please?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by monomaniacpat View Post
    That's fine, I'll swap to ndiswrapper - just point me in the right direction, would you please?
    Yes, no problem. Could just open a new thread and send me the link via PM? I'll try to guide you through the process.

Please get hold of the latest(!) Windows driver for your adapter. We will need it later. Basically we will follow these steps, but since you are not that familiar with "ndiswrapper", don't do it on your own.

http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-2681.html
    http://www.linuxquestions.org/linux/...180_mini_HOWTO

We'll create our own little HOWTO after going through it.

Beans

I have searched this thread for the answer to something that I didn't get in the OP: I don't want to generate a new hex-key for my network. I have a pre-set password in the router, and I would like to use that on Ubuntu as well. I don't want to change it, simply because it's so hard to remember such a long password, and I wouldn't be able to log on friends that come to my house as easily as just writing in 8 letters. If I were to use a hex-key, I would have to save it to a USB-pendrive (password protected) and wait for it to install on friends' computers, log in to it, open the file with the password, copy and paste.

So, any info on how to use "normal" password (A-Z(and Scandinavian letters),0-9)?
    Last edited by OttifantSir; June 13th, 2007 at 10:53 AM. Reason: notification

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by OttifantSir View Post
    I have searched this thread for the answer to something that I didn't get in the OP: I don't want to generate a new hex-key for my network. I have a pre-set password in the router, and I would like to use that on Ubuntu as well. I don't want to change it, simply because it's so hard to remember such a long password, and I wouldn't be able to log on friends that come to my house as easily as just writing in 8 letters. If I were to use a hex-key, I would have to save it to a USB-pendrive (password protected) and wait for it to install on friends' computers, log in to it, open the file with the password, copy and paste.

So, any info on how to use "normal" password (A-Z(and Scandinavian letters),0-9)?
    Well, if you read the relevant section in the HOWTO more carefully, you will find an answer to your question. You don't need to generate a new password, you can simply use your 8-character password, then generate the hex key for your Ubuntu box. That is by all means necessary as wpa_supplicant encrypts and thus, protects your password.

So essentially no changes to your password at all. Your friends will be able to log on as usual.

Beans

wieman01, i use the windows drivers via ndiswrapper, i use the smae drivers in my windows and it connects, so i guess that means wep is available on my drivers ?

im really stunted, just can't figure out whats wrong =/

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by clegg13 View Post
    wieman01, i use the windows drivers via ndiswrapper, i use the smae drivers in my windows and it connects, so i guess that means wep is available on my drivers ?
    Correct, good point. One thing I noticed just now... Avoid spaces in your ESSID. That could be an issue.

Would you mind posting the contents of your "interfaces" once again? Please without spaces this time. You will need to change your network ID in that case.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I've set up the interfaces file as before. I don't know how to tell what's going on when it's connecting.

If I leave my wireless card in when I reboot, the startup hangs on setting up network interfaces. It continues if I remove it. I think it's stuck attempting to connect. I can't really test it, given this.

Is the second post relevant to me?

Page 61 of 184 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371111161 ... LastLast