View Poll Results: Has this thread been helpful?

Voters
811. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

550 67.82%
  • No

104 12.82%
  • Somewhat

157 19.36%
Page 51 of 184 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Wireless Security - WPA1, WPA2, LEAP, etc.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Re: HOWTO: Wireless Security - WPA1, WPA2, LEAP, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by yamad View Post
    hmmm... i can't get an ip from dhcp. lots of DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval X errors. this is why i had tried to switch to static ip. the ip i chose was random, but within the range of assignable IPs (i think). the same hardware (same computer) running windows worked fine.

dmesg has these two following errors that may be relevant:
    Code:
    wlan0: no IPv6 routers present
    ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan0: link is not ready
    thanks
    Wow, a tough one. The driver you are using... Are you sure it supports WPA at all? Is it the one you were using for Windows?

But you can connect to unsecured network, is that right? Please check if there is any information posted on the vendor's web site concerning the driver...

Beans

after a lot of playing around, i figured out when it connects ok. NetworkManager has to be installed, and then both static and dhcp IPs work, if WPA is off (i haven't tried with WEP yet). curiously, dhcp continually binds to the static ip i had set before unsetting the static ip... so i'm wondering if dhcp actually works or if the ip is getting saved and rebound each time.

anyway, NetworkManager has to be installed for dhcp AND static ips to work.

i am using ndiswrapper and netwg121 (v2) which is the same driver i was using under windows. since wpa worked fine with this hardware under windows, i am assuming that means that WPA is supported by this driver?

Beans
    Distro

i am using ndiswrapper and netwg121 (v2) which is the same driver i was using under windows. since wpa worked fine with this hardware under windows, i am assuming that means that WPA is supported by this driver?
    Yes, that is right... If the driver is one and the same, it ought to work.

While you are attempting to connect your Ethernet cable is pulled, isn't it?

Beans

yeah, there is no ethernet cable plugged in to the comp. in fact, the comp i'm using has a mobo with a ethernet chipset that, from a little googling, appears not to work well with linux (too old, i guess).

Beans

Thank-you, thank-you thank-you!!!
    Wow, its been a while in the doing, on and off for a couple of weeks now, but finally i have my wireless working!

I didnt realise how important the removal of the network cable really was, until i removed it in frustration and restarted the network.

By following http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=405990 and then your howto it worked.

so once again Thanks.

I rate your article and the whole How-to thread

Ari.

Beans
    Distro

yeah, there is no ethernet cable plugged in to the comp. in fact, the comp i'm using has a mobo with a ethernet chipset that, from a little googling, appears not to work well with linux (too old, i guess).
    Man, I am at a loss here. I don't think MAC filtering is the issue because you can connect via unsecured mode to the same network. Sorry I cannot help any further.

Beans

thanks for your help anyhow. your attention was really appreciated.

any advice on where to proceed/other threads to look at? maybe this card just isn't well enough supported?

Beans
    Distro

thanks for your help anyhow. your attention was really appreciated.

any advice on where to proceed/other threads to look at? maybe this card just isn't well enough supported?
    You should open a new thread and post your stuff there so that you can share it with a broader audience. Simply write a summary and describe your problem once again. If you sent me the link by PM, I will keep an eye on it as well. Maybe I have missed something.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi,
    I'm having a bit of a problem with my Wireless on LEAP here. I followed the very helpful instructions that you've supplied, but unfortunately I haven't been able to get it to work. I can get it to work at home on my standard WEP network though.
    When I restart the network, the DHCP client is unable to connect, and ends up repeating 255.255.255.255 port X interval X 4 times, then gives up. I've followed a couple of different guides over the past few weeks, network manager 0.7 managed to find the network, but it cannot connect. I don't have that anymore though because this guide advised me to remove it.
    My configuration file is similar to one of the examples, however I have changed it for our network. My card is a Atheros AR5212 in a Thinkpad R51.
    Thanks for any help given,
    Sam

Beans

dear all,

I am the beginner of Linux. May need some help on the PEAP setting for connecting to my school.
    Below is the setting on WinXP WinXP
    How do I convert to Ubuntu?
    In deed, I downloaded the wpa supplicant source file, and how do I make it?
    I miss the config file.
    I am using IBM Thinkpad T43 2668-HH5.
    Please help

Page 51 of 184 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast