View Poll Results: Has this thread been helpful?

Voters
811. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

550 67.82%
  • No

104 12.82%
  • Somewhat

157 19.36%
Page 34 of 184 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484134 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Wireless Security - WPA1, WPA2, LEAP, etc.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: HOWTO: Wireless Security - WPA1, WPA2, LEAP, etc.

Hi Sef:

I will update my tutorial immediately and remove the line in question (wpa-conf). Not sure why your version of wpa-supplicant works the way it does, however, it used to be the case that wpa-ap-scan would control the scanning logic of your wireless card (ESSID broadcast enabled vs. disabled).

Again, I'll remove the line from my scripts. I have not found any documentation on it so far.

Beans
    Distro

I have updated the HOWTO. Really appreciated your feedback as I have not tried Feisty yet. Still on Dapper which I plan to change soon. So I really depend on your input. Sorry I have not found anything on the "wpa-conf" issues yet, but I will check it out over the weekend or so.

Beans
    Hidden!

Just in case you were wondering its the wpa-supplicant that comes with a default upgrade to feisty.

Quote Originally Posted by wieman01 View Post
    Hi Sef:

I will update my tutorial immediately and remove the line in question (wpa-conf). Not sure why your version of wpa-supplicant works the way it does, however, it used to be the case that wpa-ap-scan would control the scanning logic of your wireless card (ESSID broadcast enabled vs. disabled).

Again, I'll remove the line from my scripts. I have not found any documentation on it so far.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by sefs View Post
    Just in case you were wondering its the wpa-supplicant that comes with a default upgrade to feisty.
    Cool. Got it. Hope things will work out for Feisty users from now on. Thanks for your help.

EDIT:
    One more question: Why would Feisty users still requires this HOWTO at all? I thought Feisty comes with enhanced wireless support including the support for Static IP and WPA? Just curious... Does the standard install not work for you?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi all !

I think this howto is great. You should update it sometimes like remove the wpa-conf thing ... I think it is much cleaner (you don't need an additional program) and more straight than the network manager. And you can't configure WPA in NM as much as here in /etc/network/interfaces. And the NM works about 90 % of all cases because you can't setup everything in GUI. (extreme cases like WPA1 + WPA2 (mixed) + hidden essid + RADIUS. I don't think you can do it with network manager).

This is my opinion
    Experience is a good teacher not a kind one.

Beans

it works !!!
    Removed "managed"
    and put 2 in wpa-ap-scan 2

another thing is that for my router, AES does not work, WPA personal =tkip here

thanks everybody here

Quote Originally Posted by sefs View Post
    Hi again.

Weeima01 I want to confirm that WPA1 with AES works. Here is why.

I have a wrt54gl. the ssid broadcast is set to enabled. But I am as confused as you as to why wpa-ap-scan 2 works and wpa-ap-scan 1 does not ... when wpa-ap-scan 1 I cannot connect to the network but when I go wpa-ap-scan 2 I am able to connect. This is very very weird.

I also want to know what "wpa-conf managed" is for. I followed corax's suggestion and commented it out. And what would you know...after restarting the network ... I was back in business again using WPA-Personal which I assume is WPA1 and with AES encryption.

My /etc/network/interfaces now looks like this...
    Code:
    # This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
    # and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).

# The loopback network interface
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

# This is a list of hotpluggable network interfaces.
    # They will be activated automatically by the hotplug subsystem.
    mapping hotplug
    script grep
    map wlan0

# The wireless network interface
    iface wlan0 inet static

# General settings
    #------------------------------
    address 192.168.1.55
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    network 192.168.1.0
    gateway 192.168.1.1
    dns-nameservers 205.214.192.201 205.214.192.202 208.67.222.222 208.67.220.220 192.168.254.254

# WPA settings
    wpa-driver wext
    wpa-ssid xxxxx
    #wpa-conf managed
    wpa-ap-scan 2
    wpa-proto WPA
    wpa-pairwise AES
    wpa-group AES
    wpa-key-mgmt WPA-PSK
    wpa-psk xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

auto wlan0
    Can you shed some light on why it would wpa-ap-scan 2 works with ssid broadcast enabled and not wpa-ap-scan 1.

Can you also let us know whats this wpa-conf.

and how can I specify infrastructure mode.

While researching wpa_supplicant I saw ppl using the wpa-conf line to specify the path to /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf.

At one point i went this rout and made better progress where it detected the network but could not connect.

Thanks very much.

UPDATE:

I've tried WPA2 Personal on the WRT54GL with these settings ...

Code:
    # WPA settings
    wpa-driver wext
    wpa-ssid xxxxx
    #wpa-conf managed
    wpa-ap-scan 1
    wpa-proto RSN
    wpa-pairwise CCMP
    wpa-group CCMP
    wpa-key-mgmt WPA-PSK
    wpa-psk xxxxxx
    now the wpa-ap-scan works when both set to 1 or 2.

So now I'm able to use WPA2 with AES.

Discussions on WPA+AES and WPA2+AES ect... it sounds rather confusing (AES was apprently added to WPA1 as an afterthought?)
    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,12691890
    http://forums.practicallynetworked.c...ead.php?t=7119

Beans
    Hidden!

I wasn't aware of that. I will have to investigate that and see. I took a cursory glance at NM after upgrading to feisty immediately looking for the static IP support but I must have missed it so I removed it immediately to go back to what I knew was working (this tutorial). I'll have to reinstall NM to take a closer look.

Cool. Got it. Hope things will work out for Feisty users from now on. Thanks for your help.

EDIT:
    One more question: Why would Feisty users still requires this HOWTO at all? I thought Feisty comes with enhanced wireless support including the support for Static IP and WPA? Just curious... Does the standard install not work for you?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by corax View Post
    Hi all !

I think this howto is great. You should update it sometimes like remove the wpa-conf thing ... I think it is much cleaner (you don't need an additional program) and more straight than the network manager. And you can't configure WPA in NM as much as here in /etc/network/interfaces. And the NM works about 90 % of all cases because you can't setup everything in GUI. (extreme cases like WPA1 + WPA2 (mixed) + hidden essid + RADIUS. I don't think you can do it with network manager).

This is my opinion
    If you have suggestions as to how we can improve this thread, you are welcome to post them here. It will be nice to keep this thread alive. I have removed that "wpa-conf" stanza in the meantime.

Beans
    Distro

Well, I have just tried Feisty Kubuntu (actually I am writing this while running the LiveCD) and I must say it is beautiful. More than that I had no problems whatsoever connecting to my local wireless network (Static IP, ESSID broadcast disabled) without installing any additional software packages. I am impressed... Having said that the new version of Ubuntu pretty much renders this thread unnecessary. Eventually!

EDIT:
    On a Sony Vaio with Intel IPW2200 B/G that is.
    Last edited by wieman01; April 22nd, 2007 at 06:15 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

For WPA1 my example would look like this:

I have never bothered to setup wpa_supplicant outside of "interfaces" because I don't think it is nice. So I cannot give you any advice there. However, I am having a similar issue as you whereby I need to initialize my wireless network at startup, then immediately bring it down & restart it. For some reason the network would remain disconnected if I did not restart it.

So my advice is to follow post #2 and restart the network during the boot process. Not sure if this is a bug but I have not found a solution ever since.
    actually, here's how you create your /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf file:

Code:
    wpa_passphrase <network essid> <network password>
    then some text comes up that's like
    Code:
    network={
              ssid="ssid"
              #psk="password"
              psk=q45kl3j45;l3kj45h345lkj34h5;l2k3j45k3j4l5;h34j5
    }
    so, you copy that psk, then do
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
    and type (copy & paste) this:
    Code:
    ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
    ap_scan=1

network={
            ssid="yourNetworkSsid"
            scan_ssid=1
            proto=RSN
            key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
            pairwise=CCMP
            group=CCMP
            psk=blah-;kljl23j4h2l3kj4h2l34h23lk4j23hl4h-blah
    }
    i have wpa2 with ipw2200 and wext, so you might need to change ap_scan, proto, pairwise, and group to match your network settings ... hope this helps!
    "If at first you don't succeed, try, try again."

Page 34 of 184 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484134 ... LastLast