Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Network connections window is empty (still have network access)

Beans

Network connections window is empty (still have network access)

Running Ubuntu 12.04

Last week for some reason my network Connections app has stopped working correctly. If looking at it there are no entries in any of the tabs. I still have access to the the network and internet and get a DHCP address and information is populated in ifconfig.

though the settings and network I see information populated but the options button is greyed out.

I would however like to get this working together as I cannot create any VPN connections through the Network connections or through the network settings windows always coming up with the error: (connection add failed: Connection not visible or not available)

I have tried removing packages and bring them back to no avail I've also tried different Desktop managers (Cinnamon, Gnome 2D, and KDE) and all seem to have the same issue as Unity.

currently working around the VPN connections with using a virtual box and sharing folders inside of it but I'd rather have full control of my network.

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Network connections window is empty (still have network access)

Sometimes I see the similar failure. It is unfrequent but happens once a while.

What I do to solve this is to kill the process and run it again from console.

killall nm-applet

./nm-applet&

(you can close the console and the applet shoud be still running).

It is so unfrequent and after several days suspending the laptop that I just do this to fix it.

Beans

Thanks for the reply.

not a fix for me though instead I get the following output (try looking for fixes for the beginning errors but most go to bug reports that I have no clue how to work through) :

Ubuntu 12.04:~$killall nm-applet
    Ubuntu 12.04:~$nm-applet&
    [1] 3388
    Ubuntu 12.04:~$Gtk-Message: Not loading module "atk-bridge": The functionality is provided by GTK natively. Please try to not load it.

(nm-applet:3388): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_async_initable_real_init_finish: assertion `g_simple_async_result_is_valid (res, G_OBJECT (initable), g_async_initable_real_init_async)' failed

** (nm-applet:3388): CRITICAL **: dbus_g_error_has_name: assertion `error != NULL' failed

(nm-applet:3388): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_error_free: assertion `error != NULL' failed

(nm-applet:3388): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_async_initable_real_init_finish: assertion `g_simple_async_result_is_valid (res, G_OBJECT (initable), g_async_initable_real_init_async)' failed

** (nm-applet:3388): CRITICAL **: dbus_g_error_has_name: assertion `error != NULL' failed

(nm-applet:3388): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_error_free: assertion `error != NULL' failed

not sure if anyone could find this helpful but since I had the process window still open I get the following when trying to add a new connection.

Gtk-Message: Not loading module "atk-bridge": The functionality is provided by GTK natively. Please try to not load it.

(nm-connection-editor:5951): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_async_initable_real_init_finish: assertion `g_simple_async_result_is_valid (res, G_OBJECT (initable), g_async_initable_real_init_async)' failed

** (nm-connection-editor:5951): CRITICAL **: dbus_g_error_has_name: assertion `error != NULL' failed

(nm-connection-editor:5951): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_error_free: assertion `error != NULL' failed

(nm-connection-editor:5951): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_async_initable_real_init_finish: assertion `g_simple_async_result_is_valid (res, G_OBJECT (initable), g_async_initable_real_init_async)' failed

** (nm-connection-editor:5951): CRITICAL **: dbus_g_error_has_name: assertion `error != NULL' failed

(nm-connection-editor:5951): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_error_free: assertion `error != NULL' failed

** (nm-connection-editor:5951): WARNING **: Invalid setting VPN: gateway

Beans

looking a little closer to some of the errors I went to view what was in /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/ and found a bunch items in there and I can tell that they were my failed attempts at setting up other network connections.

if I remove them all. I can see that the main network connection vanishes and goes to off. But is quickly rebuilt after changing it to on again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

it is very strange, seams to have a file or something corrupted.

You can try reinstalling network manager.

try it from console with purge instead of remove (delete configuration files while remove keep it)

sudo apt-get purge network-manager

I sugges a reboot (just in case, to be clean).

and to reinstall it

sudo apt-get install network-manager

And see whats happens,.

Beans

Thanks again,

un-installed and reinstalled still no love.

FYI anyone following along make sure you download the network-manager files before removing as this will disable any networking you do have working.

thinking it might be time to go for a full blown re-installation in the near future.

Beans

fewer errors this time around but still greek to me.

Ubuntu 12.04:~$ killall nm-applet
    Ubuntu 12.04:~$ nm-applet&
    [1] 4473
    Ubuntu 12.04:~$ Gtk-Message: Not loading module "atk-bridge": The functionality is provided by GTK natively. Please try to not load it.

(nm-applet:4473): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_async_initable_real_init_finish: assertion `g_simple_async_result_is_valid (res, G_OBJECT (initable), g_async_initable_real_init_async)' failed

** (nm-applet:4473): CRITICAL **: dbus_g_error_has_name: assertion `error != NULL' failed

(nm-applet:4473): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_error_free: assertion `error != NULL' failed

(nm-applet:4473): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_async_initable_real_init_finish: assertion `g_simple_async_result_is_valid (res, G_OBJECT (initable), g_async_initable_real_init_async)' failed

** (nm-applet:4473): CRITICAL **: dbus_g_error_has_name: assertion `error != NULL' failed

(nm-applet:4473): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_error_free: assertion `error != NULL' failed

------ end of start -----
    ------ error when adding a VPN -----

Beans

I have been having the same problem for almost a week now. The weird thing is that i can use WICD fine .. and yeah the connections that are dhcp work fine but if i need to edit a connection for static ip its impossible ..

Like darkcape mentioned a blank edit connections window. With many failed attempts in /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/

Have you found any solution to this problem ?

Or have you resorted to a full blown reinstall i want to avoid that at all cost if possible ..

Oh yeah and i tried to reinstall nm, set in NetworkManager.conf manage to true .. But nothing is working ..

I am also running ubuntu 12.04

Thanks for any help
    Last edited by sid5291; July 21st, 2012 at 01:13 PM.

Beans

I met same problem too but no solution currently.
    some tips may help:

1. I have tried purge & reinstall Network Manager and gnome but no effect.
    2. It's not a privilege problem because I was already in netdev group & root etc.
    3. I met this problem after update or reinstall gnome3.4.2. Before then I upgrade 10.04 LTS to 12.04 LTS

Any help would be appreciate!

Beans

I also have the same problem.

Anyone found any solution?

12.04 LTS is far the worst release of Ubuntu...actually might be the worst OS at the moment. I used to love Ubuntu but this time they really blow things up.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast