Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Valve Announcement - Steam client coming to Ubuntu

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Valve Announcement - Steam client coming to Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by synaptix View Post
    To be honest, AMD has caught up. Intel is the one that needs to catch up with their Linux graphics drivers.

Both Catalyst and OS Radeon drivers have come a LONG way from where they used to be, especially the OS Radeon drivers in the 3.5 kernel series has made some pretty astounding performance boosts from what I've read on Phoronix.
    Are you kidding? If we're talking open source drivers, Intel are light-years ahead of AMD and NVIDIA both.

Beans

I am looking forward to running steam on linux, once this is done I will have very few reasons to use windows.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

will steam have a limited linux database of games or will all games be supported??

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sakamoto View Post
    will steam have a limited linux database of games or will all games be supported??
    Steam will likely launch for Linux with Left 4 Dead and a bunch of indie titles with more Valve and indie titles to follow.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by Sslaxx View Post
    Seeing as it is increasingly turning out "Linux" Steam is actually going to be running on a fork of WINE with a specially coded D3D<>OpenGL dynamic translation layer, it's unlikely it'll be native.
    Baaahh, I knew they're only lazy, commercial guys. I doubt this will be as fast, hence
    I might not buy any but stick to cheaper Windoze versions from ebay etc. if ever.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Zeven View Post
    Steam will likely launch for Linux with Left 4 Dead and a bunch of indie titles with more Valve and indie titles to follow.
    thanks - i was apparently too optimistic

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Arrow Re: Valve Announcement - Steam client coming to Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by MikeCyber View Post
    Baaahh, I knew they're only lazy, commercial guys. I doubt this will be as fast, hence
    I might not buy any but stick to cheaper Windoze versions from ebay etc. if ever.
    Perhaps, but (albeit they've tested just with one game so far) it does seem that running the game via the translation layer Valve is working on does perform better than running the game directly under Windows itself. Whether or not they can sustain that performance beyond it is unknown. Hopefully they'll be able to make it run other D3D games with little-to-no noticeable difference, at least.

This did make me think of something else, though: D3D 9 or 11? I'd guess 9 most likely.
    Last edited by Sslaxx; August 20th, 2012 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Didn't realise I was making it sound like I'd tested Valve's stuff, doh!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by Sslaxx View Post
    Perhaps, but (albeit tested just with one game so far) it does seem that running the game via the translation layer
    ooh you tested a game? How comes? Anyway I don't think it could be faster than WINE. But hey if they provide a faster FSX I'd even rebuy it to use with:
    http://linuxgamingnews.org/2012/08/0...into-the-game/

Beans

thanks - i was apparently too optimistic
    Patience is key! Also, kudos for the Ron Swanson avatar.

Beans

Yeah it should really only contain Valve games and Indy games when it is released. But hopefully more games will follow. If it is anything like the mac version of Steam then there is a healthy amount of games. It could be better but it is nice for now.

Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast