Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: System76 Lemur Ultra Review

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: System76 Lemur Ultra Review

Quote Originally Posted by GreatDanton View Post
    Effenberg thank you. That's really nice to hear I am not the only one with this lag. It's just stupid that my card Ati Radeon HD 4870 (which can still play the latest games) is having such problems. I was also thinking that Gimp has problems, so I asked on Gimp forums, but it seems they don't know anything about that topic. Then I thought it's maybe because of the drivers (I didn't install any, because it's working .

Yeah that will be interesting to see tests from different users. Maybe we should create poll here in cafe.

Regards.
    I thought Gimp used OpenGL and could benefit from modern cards, but apparently I was completely wrong :\ Gimp users at a local forum just answered me Gimp will *eventually* use OpenCL (it's in the roadmap) and, as of right now, it relies almost entirely on CPU power. Still, it does not justify this lag.

One other thing: Some users report that this lag only happens on Unity. I don't use any other DE besides Unity right now, so I can't test it. I'm not sure if that's true or just anti-unity propaganda.

Regards,
    Effenberg

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by GreatDanton View Post
    Ubun2to thanks for taking your time. I am not expert in Gimp either, but I noticed lag in Gimp, however everything was smooth in Windows. Must be a graphic drivers. Which Graphic card do you have? Intel HD4000?

Regards.
    Intel HD 4000 on the 3rd gen i5.
    Backups are amazing. 99% of data loss can be prevented by spending less than $100 on an external drive.
    If you have seen an error, there is a good chance someone else has, too. Google is your friend.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by effenberg0x0 View Post
    I thought Gimp used OpenGL and could benefit from modern cards, but apparently I was completely wrong :\ Gimp users at a local forum just answered me Gimp will *eventually* use OpenCL (it's in the roadmap) and, as of right now, it relies almost entirely on CPU power. Still, it does not justify this lag.

One other thing: Some users report that this lag only happens on Unity. I don't use any other DE besides Unity right now, so I can't test it. I'm not sure if that's true or just anti-unity propaganda.

Regards,
    Effenberg
    Gimp (2.8.2 for me as of current) still lags proportional to how large the document is (had Gimp crashing on me more than twice on an A4-sized documents), though from what I see it has something to do with the core GTK libraries (again, just suspicion).

And the lag is reproducible in any DE I've used so far (Gnome-Shell, KDE, Unity) so I don't think it has anything to do with DE. Perhaps said users don't even know it doesn't take using Unity to notice the lag.

Then again, running the GIMP on a first-generation i7 laptop with 8GB of RAM, it has to say something about the issue. Though the GIMP experience should be better on that System76 laptop with that kind of specifications in my opinion.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by effenberg0x0 View Post
    That's not true. I have already tested it on Xubuntu 12.04 and Linux Mint Lxde 12, and Gimp is still lagging. It's definitely anti-unity propaganda.

We should move to our own thread, so we will not spam this review =)

Regards.

I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT A QUANTAL QUETZAL IS...BUT IT SOUNDS LIKE PRETZEL AND I LIKE PRETZEL

Beans

Sitting in front of my new Lemur Ultra right now. I'll give the high points, from my perspective...

For reference, I got the i7-3630QM processor, 16GB of 1600MHz ram, 240GB SSD, and the Intel 6235 A/B/G/N WIFI adapter.

Good:
    -Worked out of the box like a charm
    -Awesome speed
    -Looks beautiful
    -Light weight for easy home-school transport
    -Great customer support
    -Quick delivery

Only things that made me go "eh":
    -Because of the massive processing power the laptop has, it generates a lot of heat. Due to this, the fan can kick in fairly quick, is louder than I expected, and would be disturbing in a classroom environment (as a student, kinda important to me). Good news, you can set the CPU frequency rate and mitigate the heat issue quite easily.
    -That's all....

If you don't mind throttling back the CPU while in 'quiet' environments to keep from having the fan spin up on you, this is a powerhouse of a laptop in a small package. I'll be going back to Sys76 for my future purhcases.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mattsvensson View Post
    Sitting in front of my new Lemur Ultra right now. I'll give the high points, from my perspective...

For reference, I got the i7-3630QM processor, 16GB of 1600MHz ram, 240GB SSD, and the Intel 6235 A/B/G/N WIFI adapter.

Good:
    -Worked out of the box like a charm
    -Awesome speed
    -Looks beautiful
    -Light weight for easy home-school transport
    -Great customer support
    -Quick delivery

Only things that made me go "eh":
    -Because of the massive processing power the laptop has, it generates a lot of heat. Due to this, the fan can kick in fairly quick, is louder than I expected, and would be disturbing in a classroom environment (as a student, kinda important to me). Good news, you can set the CPU frequency rate and mitigate the heat issue quite easily.
    -That's all....

If you don't mind throttling back the CPU while in 'quiet' environments to keep from having the fan spin up on you, this is a powerhouse of a laptop in a small package. I'll be going back to Sys76 for my future purhcases.
    I take it that the laptop has all Intel chipsets? If so, it's no surprise it works well. All Intel computers tend to work extremely well with linux.

I have an enterprise level Dell Latitude laptop (was $1,000 2 years ago and have 2nd gen intel i series, mine's an i5. But it still kicks butt with any linux I throw at it. Very efficient.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Mills View Post
    I take it that the laptop has all Intel chipsets? If so, it's no surprise it works well. All Intel computers tend to work extremely well with linux.

I have an enterprise level Dell Latitude laptop (was $1,000 2 years ago and have 2nd gen intel i series, mine's an i5. But it still kicks butt with any linux I throw at it. Very efficient.
    )
    Backups are amazing. 99% of data loss can be prevented by spending less than $100 on an external drive.
    If you have seen an error, there is a good chance someone else has, too. Google is your friend.

prodigy_ is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Ubun2to View Post
    All this for $...
    Call now! Limited amount!

/yawn

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have always been thinking of getting this model for my new Notebook, mostly would be used for class note taking and some portable web browsing if needed, maybe some little gaming if I'm in the mood. Good review could use a bit more order though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12