Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How to start programming?

Beans

Re: How to start programming?

Quote Originally Posted by cbennett926 View Post
    For example, I know Civilization was written all in Python which is awesome, and you could do even more with Jython, which is a combination of python and Java.
    While I certainly like Python, this is not true. Python was used as an internal scripting language which allows for quicker and less buggy tuning of the overall game mechanics, which are pretty important in a game like Civilization...

Quote Originally Posted by Sarys View Post
    But Python is easier?
    It leaves you to focus more on the problem you're solving instead of language details and issues. So in that sense yes Python is easier... it also is a very multi-paradigm language, so you get exposure to all kinds of ideas in just one language.
    LambdaGrok. | #ubuntu-programming on FreeNode

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by CptPicard View Post
    While I certainly like Python, this is not true. Python was used as an internal scripting language which allows for quicker and less buggy tuning of the overall game mechanics, which are pretty important in a game like Civilization...
    If you could please provide some details on this, because I was referring to Civilization IV and a quick look on wikipedia provides this:

Major parts of the interface, map generation, and scripted events are written entirely in Python and can be customized.

The game uses boost.python to allow the Python access to many parts of the game (including the style and content of all interface screens). Python can also be used to modify random map generation and to add complex scripted events.
    I think that might be a little more than internal scripting
    System Specs: Processor:Intel® Core™ i7-2640M CPU @ 2.80GHz × 4 Graphics:nVidia Quadro 2000m RAM: 8 GB

Ubuntu User: 34379

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cbennett926 View Post
    I think that might be a little more than internal scripting
    Well, at least in my books that would indeed count as internal scripting, pretty much all of the more heavy-lifting parts of the engine need to be written in something else. But Python is very handy for UI-level and game-mechanics scripting.

Beans

Well, at least in my books that would indeed count as internal scripting, pretty much all of the more heavy-lifting parts of the engine need to be written in something else. But Python is very handy for UI-level and game-mechanics scripting.
    So I should start with Python?

Beans

So I should start with Python?
    Well, yeah, I'd suggest so. That's what I always respond to the "what should I start with" question. First Python, then maybe C for lower-level stuff, than anything you fancy, Lisp at some point to see what a very abstract high level language looks and feels like.

Beans

Well, yeah, I'd suggest so. That's what I always respond to the "what should I start with" question. First Python, then maybe C for lower-level stuff, than anything you fancy, Lisp at some point to see what a very abstract high level language looks and feels like.
    Okay thanks. But now a noob question where to get Python? I tried looking it from software center and there was so much stuff.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Okay thanks. But now a noob question where to get Python? I tried looking it from software center and there was so much stuff.
    You have the python interpreter installed by default (quite a lot of Ubuntu packages use python)

Just run:

Code:
    python
    to get an interactive interpreter, or:

Code:
    python <file>
    to run a file.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MG&TL View Post
    You have the python interpreter installed by default (quite a lot of Ubuntu packages use python)

Just run:

Code:
    python
    to get an interactive interpreter, or:

Code:
    python <file>
    to run a file.
    Ah okay thank you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Have you already seen this book?
    It is an excellent beginners guide to python.

Read it, learn it and you should be a huge step further towards your goal.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123