Thread: Remembering multiple monitor setup whenever switch

Beans

Remembering multiple monitor setup whenever switch

Hi,
    I'm running ubuntu 12.04 with an nvidia GPU on a Thinkpad W520. I have an external monitor at work, and one at home. Whenever I move, I have to manually launch the nvidia x server settings program, detect the displays, click ok, click quit... and it's getting a bit tedious by now. Is there any way to automate this? I've heard xrandr could do this, but can't find much info on google or the man page.

thanks,
    imran

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Remembering multiple monitor setup whenever switch

Have you tried using disper?

I use it, and I have keyboard shortcuts for each thing I want.

Example:
    Ctrl+Alt+1 = Output only on laptop screen
    Ctrl+Alt+2 = Output only on external monitor
    Etc...

Install disper and have a look at it's man page.

Note: I'm running Linux Mint 13 but it should be the same.

Beans

Hi,

I have the same problem but 10 times more difficult considering different monitor sizes and different projectors etc.

Laptop + none
    Laptop + 24" LCD at home
    Laptop + 27" LCD at work
    Laptop + Projector at work in a conference room

For each case I have to plug in the monitor/projector cable before I start up the laptop. The on-the-fly plug in/out and auto detection is out of question, it does not work.

After start-up and login I have to run "sudo nvidia-settings" and enable and configure the the external monitor even though all configs are saved and merged to xorg.conf.

At first I had (and still have) different xorg files for different monitors/projectors but I had no options to select one at the start-up (encrypted disk, put passwd and it starts) so I logged in first and copied proper xconf.24 or xconf.27 etc to xconf.org and restarted...

Actually I run an Ubuntu 12.04 as a host and then run a virtual W7 with VMPlayer. There are even more problems with sound and other stuff which I am not going to write here.

I'm just thinking, the use of multiple monitors at once and changing monitors while OS is running is not new and it is very easy in other OS (you know which) so the smart architects and developers of the community of Open Source Distros must already have fixed it. I am the one who does not know how to do it properly

Thank you all Gals n' Guys
    Last edited by GangstaMon; July 24th, 2012 at 08:06 PM.

Beans

I've tried to get auto-disper to work by saving my configs when the displays are working, but it doesn't switch properly. It manages to detect the attached monitor, but it doesn't turn it on:

$ auto-disper --change home
    no resolutions found for display CRT-0, falling back to: 800x600, 640x480
    home (detected)
    Config already loaded

$ auto-disper --change work
    no resolutions found for display DFP-2, falling back to: 800x600, 640x480
    home
    laptop
    work (detected)
    Config already loaded

any ideas?

thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I came here looking to find a way to make my PC automatically change resolutions with or without the projector turned on. This should be basic. Running Ubuntu 12.04.
    RYKEL™ | Google+ OR Skype Name: rykellim