Page 16 of 106 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Setup Samba peer-to-peer with Windows

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: HOWTO: Setup Samba peer-to-peer with Windows

Edit: problem now fixed...

Thanks, Storm. I followed your instructions, and everything worked perfectly. I was able to map a network drive in my virtual WinXP right off the bat.

Then I rebooted the virtual machine after installing a program. Apparently that was the stupidest thing I've done in at least a week. Upon rebooting, I tried to access the network drives, and the virtual WinXP asked me for my username and password. I entered the same things as last time ("ROB-DESKTOP\rob" for the User Name and the password set in "sudo smbpasswd -L -a rob" for the password). But this time, pressing enter just redraws the password window, ad infinitum.

I know my smb.conf is proper since all three of my desired drives mounted the first time. Does anyone have any idea how I managed to foul up a perfectly functional setup?

Solution: I replaced "ROB-DESKTOP" with "ROB_DESKTOP" (hyphens became underscores) when mapping the network drive. I'm pretty darn sure the first time it worked, it was spelled with a hyphen, just like the hostname is shown in the Konsole. Can anyone explain that?
    Last edited by Giggity; September 10th, 2006 at 11:20 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Hi,

Got a question regarding these two lines in smb.conf:

Code:

force user = YOUR_USERNAME
    force group = YOUR_USERGROUP
    Does this refer to my Ubuntu user name (joey) or to my Windows MCE user name (lolita)?

Thanks for your simple to follow how-to guide!

Take care,
    Russ

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

force user = YOUR_USERNAME
    force group = YOUR_USERGROUP

I used this 'How to' and entered Ubuntu username for both, later on you will set up windows username rights.

Storm you are a Ubuntu demi god! Thanks for this guide, now i can print from my Virtual XP machine.

Beans

Help!

Brand new Linux user here... (sorry... geez...)

Tryin' to share the following with an XP computer.

[MOVIES]
    I tho
    path = /home/MOVIES
    browsable = yes
    writable = yes
    public = yes
    create mask = 0775
    directory mask = 0775

3 users on the XP machine
    All set as administrators (I know, very secure...)

I added all 3 to linux (adduser...)
    I added all 3 to samba (smbpasswd...)
    Same passwords all around...

On the PC, 2 out of 3 users can see the share no prob! (amazingly enough)
    No password needed. Spiffy.

Problem is: The final user has to enter his name/password for some reason.

He is the original admin on the XP machine. (coincidence?) Again, all 3 users are now adminstrators...

I thought maybe he was seen as "adminstrator" instead of his username.. so i created an "administrator" user + smb user... that didn't work... deleted that...

So again, works for 2 of 3 admins on XP. For the 3rd (original admin), he has to enter his username/password. Then, it works no prob.

Why is he different? I dunno.

Help!

And thank you.[MOVIES]
    path = /home/MOVIES
    browsable = yes
    writable = yes
    public = yes
    create mask = 0775
    directory mask = 0775

Beans

GREAT GUIDE!

I was able to get my samba server up and running (Kubuntu), and have my windows machine connect to it. However, I have Ubuntu on my other box, and I can't connect to either my windows server OR my Kubuntu server through Samba.

The samba client SMBCLIENT is installed, do I need anything else installed? With the base install of Ubuntu I have never been able to connect it to my windows server, BUT with the base install of Kubuntu I am able to.

If both of these are based off the same code base, shouldn't they both connect?

Any help on getting my Ubuntu box to connect via Samba would be greatly appreciated.

Beans

Windows clients accessing other Windows client shares with samba?

I got samba to work on my network so my Windows XP clients can now access the shared volume on my Ubuntu server.

However, I've browsed through this thread and still haven't found the answer to this one question: Can samba installed on Ubuntu server be used to enable Windows XP clients on the LAN to access shared folders residing on the hard drives of OTHER XP clients within the workgroup?

The reason I ask is that I have 10+ Windows XP client machines on my LAN and once I put the 11th computer on the LAN, Windows displays a message to the effect of "you have exceeded the 10 workstation connection limit...go buy Windows Server 2003 you poor bastard".

I know that Samba can connect up to 250 workstations on a LAN, but is it able to offer peer-to-peer file sharing between CLIENTS within the workgroup?

Thanks to Storm for his excellent contributions and all posters for any help!

Beans

I have not tried this, but, in theory it *could* work. Then again, I am a novice Linux user/recent converted to Linux from windows guy myself.

But if you mount the shares on your Linux box, can you not also share those mounts?

meaning, from your linux box, you mount your windows shares:

/mnt/windowsXP_box1
    /mnt/windowsXP_box2
    /mnt/windowsXP_box3
    etc.

Then can you share those mounts? so from the XP machiens, you connect to the Linux box and see the shares?

Like I said, I haven't tried this, but it kinda makes sense in theory.

Any linux guru's out there know if this will work?

--kp

Beans

Re: Windows clients accessing other Windows client shares with samba?

Quote Originally Posted by jfighter View Post
    I got samba to work on my network so my Windows XP clients can now access the shared volume on my Ubuntu server.

However, I've browsed through this thread and still haven't found the answer to this one question: Can samba installed on Ubuntu server be used to enable Windows XP clients on the LAN to access shared folders residing on the hard drives of OTHER XP clients within the workgroup?

The reason I ask is that I have 10+ Windows XP client machines on my LAN and once I put the 11th computer on the LAN, Windows displays a message to the effect of "you have exceeded the 10 workstation connection limit...go buy Windows Server 2003 you poor bastard".

I know that Samba can connect up to 250 workstations on a LAN, but is it able to offer peer-to-peer file sharing between CLIENTS within the workgroup?

Thanks to Storm for his excellent contributions and all posters for any help!
    From my research the probelm you face is a limit on the number of inbound connections WinXP Pro can accept.This Microsoft Support Article suggests you reduce the auto-disconnect time to make a connection available more quickly using this command:

net config server /autodisconnect:time_before_autodisconnect_in_minutes

Maybe you should reconsider your network architecture? Making the Ubuntu/Samba system the central repository on the network with multiple shares might be an easier approach.

Hope this helps.

Spot.

Beans

I'm totally new to Ubuntu and I was able to follow these instructions so that goes to show how well written it was. Thanks for sharing it with the community.

After following this HOWTO I'm able to see my windows machines using the Places -> Network Server browser. However is there a way to refer to the network machines from within the Terminal? I've tried ls //MachineName/SharedDir and ls \\MachineName\SharedDir, but haven't had any success. As I said I'm new so please don't lol.

Also tried //priviteipaddress/ShareDir, but this didn't work either.

smbmount is what I was looking for. Found it at http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=255872.
    Last edited by mattice06082; September 20th, 2006 at 03:47 AM. Reason: Found the Answer

Beans

Re: Windows clients accessing other Windows client shares with samba?

Quote Originally Posted by spot101 View Post
    From my research the probelm you face is a limit on the number of inbound connections WinXP Pro can accept.This Microsoft Support Article suggests you reduce the auto-disconnect time to make a connection available more quickly using this command:

net config server /autodisconnect:time_before_autodisconnect_in_minutes

Maybe you should reconsider your network architecture? Making the Ubuntu/Samba system the central repository on the network with multiple shares might be an easier approach.

Hope this helps.

Spot.
    Very good points. I will try out myname's recommendation of mounting from the server and sharing back to clients (kinda roundabout way of doing it I must say but I guess there isn't a more elegant solution). If that way doesn't work, doing multiple shares from server as spot suggests wouldn't be a bad alternative.

I'll report on what happens as soon as I have results. If anyone has a more elegant solution, do tell. Thanks again for the suggestions!

Page 16 of 106 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast