Page 99 of 106 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Setup Samba peer-to-peer with Windows

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Setup Samba peer-to-peer with Windows

Brilliant walkthrough - thanks!

Beans

My husband's head exploded after reading half way down through these instructions, despite trying the author's careful and thoughtful construction. I am a widow now, but still would like to get the Standard windows network share to work. Has Ubuntu improved since 2006, or are they still in dark ages and early years of computing, editing conf files to get a network to work. In other words more kind, how outdated is this thread?
    Last edited by degarb; December 20th, 2010 at 10:33 PM.
    ~~The Linux directory system is a messy desk of a genius-- ahh, /home at last!

~~Once a person gets used to anything, they become blind to it. Me, I'm seeing spots.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by degarb View Post
    Has Ubuntu improved since 2006, or are they still in dark ages and early years of computing, editing conf files to get a network to work.
    Most likely you will at some point need to modify a config file as is true in all of Linuxdom.
    In other words more kind, how outdated is this thread?
    The section of the forum you posted in is:
    Ubuntu Forums > The Ubuntu Forum Community > Other Community Discussions > Tutorials & Tips > Outdated Tutorials & Tips

The author is no longer a member of the forum:
    I actually stopped using Ubuntu quite a long time ago out of a lot of reason I'm not going to debate here... Could someone please either delete the thread or hand it over to someone who wants to maintain it?

And while we're at it ... please delete, or deactivate if sooooooo desire to collect dead accounts, the user account as well. I'm not using Ubuntu (or is now called Ma[r]k OS X?) and have no plans picking it up again.
    Having said all that and despite it's title " Samba peer-to-peer" it still stands as a very well written HowTo on how to set up a Linux box as a WINS Server. Adjustments will have to made if you're using Ubuntu because services have changed since 2006.

Beans

The original post guide has one problem: Where it says sudo /etc/init.d/samba stop and also how to start it, it should instead say:

sudo service smbd stop

and then start

Also the first pre-requisite is that you have a static IP but the guide doesn't mention how to do that. Here is a guide for that: http://www.liberiangeek.net/2010/09/...erick-meerkat/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by bludshot View Post
    Also the first pre-requisite is that you have a static IP but the guide doesn't mention how to do that. Here is a guide for that: http://www.liberiangeek.net/2010/09/...erick-meerkat/
    Neither Samba nor this guide require you to have static IP.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dmizer View Post
    Although this guide does gives you a way out, most of it is really a HowTo on setting up a WINS server. Having and using a WINS server in a LAN does in fact require you to have at least one static IP address - for the WINS server itself.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dmizer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormbringer View Post
    HOWTO: Setup Samba peer-to-peer with Windows

1. Prerequisites

- Your Linux box should have an static ip-address.

Beans
    Distro

1. Prerequisites

- Your Linux box should have an static ip-address.
    In case you're getting your ip from a router/server via DHCP make sure it's configured to provide a fixed dhcp-lease. If that's no valid option you cannot use WINS ... more on this way down.
    WINS is not essential for a Samba server. It's helpful, but not essential.

What is WINS (from man smb.conf)?
    Code:
           wins support (G)

This boolean controls if the nmbd(8) process in Samba will act as a
               WINS server. You should not set this to yes unless you have a
               multi-subnetted network and you wish a particular nmbd to be your
               WINS server. Note that you should NEVER set this to yes on more
               than one machine in your network.

Default: wins support = no
    In most cases a WINS server is not necessary, especially if you have a local DNS server as is the case with most modern retail router equipment.

Beans

I was not declaring that the first pre-req in using samba was to have a static IP, nor was I stating that the guide absolutely requires you to have a static IP. I was merely referencing the first prereq listed in the guide (which is there) and suggesting that instead of the guide just telling people they should have a static IP without explaining how, that a link to a guide telling you how to set your IP to static would be helpful, so I provided that link.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by bludshot View Post
    I was not declaring that the first pre-req in using samba was to have a static IP, nor was I stating that the guide absolutely requires you to have a static IP. I was merely referencing the first prereq listed in the guide (which is there) and suggesting that instead of the guide just telling people they should have a static IP without explaining how, that a link to a guide telling you how to set your IP to static would be helpful, so I provided that link.
    I clearly misunderstood. My apologies.

Page 99 of 106 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101 ... LastLast