Page 89 of 106 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Setup Samba peer-to-peer with Windows

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: HOWTO: Setup Samba peer-to-peer with Windows

I have a problem. Followed the howto quite a while ago and have been recommending it to everyone! Works well for my XP machines and Ubuntu boxes.

However, just got a new PC with Windows 7 Home Premium installed. Am able to map a network drive just fine, and access - read write files on the server. But for large file transfers, or when trying to watch a video over the share, at some point Windows 7 will crash (BSOD!)

Having googled I checked that "security = user" (it does) and added a registry entry for LmCompatibilityLevel=2. But still crashing.

What I haven't done yet is set up the 7 PC for wins (the last part of the howto) - I'll try this later today when I get home.

Anyone else experienced this problem / found a solution?
    No longer participating......

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Catre-Vandis View Post
    I have a problem. Followed the howto quite a while ago and have been recommending it to everyone! Works well for my XP machines and Ubuntu boxes.

However, just got a new PC with Windows 7 Home Premium installed. Am able to map a network drive just fine, and access - read write files on the server. But for large file transfers, or when trying to watch a video over the share, at some point Windows 7 will crash (BSOD!)

Having googled I checked that "security = user" (it does) and added a registry entry for LmCompatibilityLevel=2. But still crashing.

What I haven't done yet is set up the 7 PC for wins (the last part of the howto) - I'll try this later today when I get home.

Anyone else experienced this problem / found a solution?
    That's a new, and scary one.

Might consider taking a look at the Win7 specific information located in the 6th link in my sig.

Also, please post your current smb.conf file as well as important text in the BSOD error.

Edit:
    Are you using Norton 360, or the Beta release of Win7? Does disabling or uninstalling your antivirus alleviate the issue?

Edit II:
    More information here -> http://blog.tombushby.com/2009/02/02...bsod-resolved/
    Last edited by dmizer; February 23rd, 2010 at 03:21 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Thanks dmizer, that blog entry is a good find, and may explain why when running W7 RC I had no problems with the samba share as I had not installed any anti virus. I had a good read through your 6th sig entry, but couldn't see anything that related specifically (you may say otherwise!) but will run through it again.

This is an OEM W7 Home Premium release (not a beta). I have AVG free on my system, so it looks like that has to go as only paid versions are W7 certified (grrr). Lets see how we get on tonight
    Last edited by Jose Catre-Vandis; February 23rd, 2010 at 03:32 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Lets see how we get on tonight
    I'll keep an eye out for your results, as I'm also using AVG free. Good luck.

Beans
    Hidden!

Well, I am not going to commit to success just yet, but after a few changes (that I should have made in the first place!) I have been unable to crash W7

I finished off the last part of the howto by adding the IP info to WINS.

I changed the workgroup in W7 to match the workgroup being issued by samba on the server

I had already got rid of Windows Live ID Sign In (well ,couldn't find it to uninstall)

Applied all settings as in your 6th entry in your sig, dmizer (even though these were, as I understood for sharing from W7 not to.

Some Windows updates came down too

Rebooted.

Now previously I was having to mount the network drive, nothing was showing under network, but now my server was showing up, and listing the shares available.

Tried everything to crash it, watching videos, transferring big files, etc. No problems, and this was with AVG Free remaining as is, untouched.

I did find elsewhere that you can disable "Link Scanner" in AVG, which appears to be the cuplrit, or there is a registry entry to completely disable AVG - see here.

So for the moment all is well. I don't spend a lot of time in W7, but will do more testing and report back. Thanks for help and pointers.

Edit: That's three hours of solid testing now
    Last edited by Jose Catre-Vandis; February 24th, 2010 at 01:45 AM.

Beans
    Distro

[snip]
    So for the moment all is well. I don't spend a lot of time in W7, but will do more testing and report back. Thanks for help and pointers.

Edit: That's three hours of solid testing now
    That's fantastic. Glad it seems to be working fine now. That sounds like a serious one. I might suggest you post a formal howto for repairing it, as it seems there are a lot of people on the net who are experiencing the problem but are either running sans virus protection or don't know how to fix it at all.

Thanks for the update!

Beans

Where is part 2 about setting up a PDC?

Beans

I followed the guide and have everything just about set up, but I 'm running into trouble right at the very end. When I try to log on from windows it doesn't work. The username and password prompt just pop up again as soon as I hit enter.

My Ubuntu computer's username is alex while on Windows it's Alex, I don't know if that matters or not, but I know that linux is typically case sensitive. I added a user for both just in case (I figured it couldn't hurt) and gave them both the same password (which is the same one used on Ubuntu and Windows).

When I use smbclient from the linux computer I get this output

Code:
    sudo smbclient -L LINUXBOX -U Alex -W WORKGROUP
    Enter Alex's password: 
    Domain=[WORKGROUP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.4.0]

Sharename       Type      Comment
    	---------       ----      -------
    	IPC$            IPC       IPC Service ()
    	MyFiles         Disk      
    	print$          Disk      
    	Deskjet-F4200-series Printer   HP Deskjet F4200 series
    Domain=[WORKGROUP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.4.0]

Server               Comment
    	---------            -------
    	LINUXBOX             
    	SHIGERU              

Workgroup            Master
    	---------            -------
    	WORKGROUP            LINUXBOX
    However, like I said, it doesn't seem to want to cooperate with my other computer. I tried googling for help but there's just too much to sift though. I apologize if this has already been asked, but the thread is about 80 pages more than I'm able to parse in any kind of timely manner.

Thanks in advance for the help

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by dmizer View Post
    That's fantastic. Glad it seems to be working fine now. That sounds like a serious one. I might suggest you post a formal howto for repairing it, as it seems there are a lot of people on the net who are experiencing the problem but are either running sans virus protection or don't know how to fix it at all.

Thanks for the update!
    Found another tip that may help to solve Windows 7 crashes when accessing samba shares, but its a bit of a workaround and only good if you have one samba server running.

Edit your smb.conf and change the netbios name to the name of your workgroup. So if

Code:
    workgroup = MYHOME

then:

netbios name = MYHOME
    This certainly worked for some people, and is so far working for me, along with the other adjustments above

Beans

Nice thread on setting up SAMBA - very useful, however I have issues with the read speeds from my samba shares - they are very slow!

I have Ubuntu 9.10 installed with gigabit ethernet - the clients used are a MacBook Pro (2009 5,5) and a Win 7 Pentium D machine.

Writing to the samba share on the server is around 35 to 50 MBps depending on the client. Reading from the server using samba is about 7 MBps on both the Win and OS X clients.

This read speed is a marked contrast to the appletalk (netatalk) share on the ubuntu server - this achieves around 40MBps when read from the MBP - so the hardware can handle it. The Win/MBP can both talk over samba at about 45 MBps in either direction.

I have used all the various SO_RCVBUF=XXXXX, SO_SNDBUF=XXXXX, TCP_NODELAY etc and tweaked the mtu to 7200. I have tried a smb.conf almost identicle to the one at the start of this thread but no matter what I can't seem to shift the speed higher.

Any thoughts?

Page 89 of 106 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199 ... LastLast