Page 53 of 106 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Setup Samba peer-to-peer with Windows

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Setup Samba peer-to-peer with Windows

Quote Originally Posted by jediknight1226 View Post
    I did everything you said but am unable to log in. I am trying to log in from my laptop using windows vista. I can see the computer that is running ubuntu but when i try to log in it says logon failed. It says it needs to be in the format of DOMAIN\username. I have tried everycombination I know of but it still says login failed. Am I not putting it in the right format? It is wanting the password for the linux pc right? I set up samba with the same user names and passwords as ubuntu so its not like there is that many choices. I am so frustrated please help!
    From my observations in the log-in box where the username goes it needs to read like this

HOSTNAME\username

or maybe

\\HOSTNAME\username

(I'm not able to check right now.)

So you need to use the name of the computer you're connecting to and not the domain name.

That is if I'm understanding what you're asking right.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

nice guide!!,

I have a question how can I make windows automatically connect at logon to the ubuntu share?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 2017-Z View Post
    From my observations in the log-in box where the username goes it needs to read like this

HOSTNAME\username

or maybe

\\HOSTNAME\username

(I'm not able to check right now.)

So you need to use the name of the computer you're connecting to and not the domain name.

That is if I'm understanding what you're asking right.

I tried that too. \\HOSTNAME\username says invalid format and HOSTNAME\username saiys invalid login. I can get to the pc using putty to get at the command line. Its just when I try to access through network neighborhood it doesn't work. I can edit the /etc/samba/smb.conf file and change the security from user to share and it will work. I really wanted you to have to login to it though.

Beans

Thanks for all of your work. I've tried most of your suggestions and read most of post in this thread, however I can't share my files with my windows boxes nor can I see my workgroup. i.e. when I enter this command smbclient //192.168.0.152/"My Documents" -U carl I get this response: Domain=[CARL-DELL] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]
    tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME
    I've booted KNOPPIX and it shares my files automatically. I wonder if my Ubuntu is boken some how. Any suggestions much appreciated.

CY

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cybrough View Post
    smbclient //192.168.0.152/"My Documents" -U carl

CY
    smbclient "//192.168.0.152/My Documents" -U carl

check your quotation marks.

-=GuS=-

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

hey i had samba working with gutsy for about a week. i didn't follow your guide however. after samba broke today i tried your guide. its didn't help. My thinking is this now: that maybe nautilus is somehow broken. would the dmesg command help me? what would i look for? i dunno but samba is the one package that is really making mad.
    toshiba satellite A135 S4527 w/ phoenix bios dual booting winblows vista home premium & gutsy gibbon 2.6.22-14-generic 32 bit. using wireless that (now) works flawlessly!

Beans

I've been working to get samba working. I can reach my windows shares with: smbclient //192.168.0.152/SharedDoc -U carl. But using: smbclient //carl-dell/SharedDoc -U carl returns this error: ERROR: Badly formed boolean in configuration file: "y".
    lp_bool(y): value is not boolean!
    Connection to carl-dell failed

I don't know what config file is being referenced. Also I can see that there is a windows network but none of my boxes appear in Places>Network. Any ideas welcome

Cy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I have followed this HOWTO: I thought precisely, however when I go to map the drive in windows I get "An Extended Error has Occurred". I am very new to Unbuntu. I'm using 7.1 server addition. I can now see Samba in my neighborhood networks. I just can't connect to it. Any suggestions?

Emmanuel

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I also followed stormbringers guide. Very easy to follow.

The problem I have is when I go to map a network drive on my XP box.
    It prompts for the user name and password.

This is where things hang up. The user names and passwords are the same on both Ubuntu and XP.
    I type in the password and it just keeps prompting me for it.

I have a linksys router, Wins is disabled(DHCP). Both machines are wired connections.

Any idea what could be wrong?

Beans

Great howto but i have some questions:
    I have two computers:
    A-Ubuntu and Xp dual boot
    B-XP(laptop)
    When i am in ubuntu in Computer A Computer B can acess to the share folder in ubuntu.But when i am on Xp on computer A computer B And A cant acess the share folder in Ubuntu because the Ubuntu is turning off and the xp has the same IP like in the ubuntu.
    How can i acces the Ubuntu share folder when its turning off?
    Thanks

Page 53 of 106 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103 ... LastLast