Page 41 of 106 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Setup Samba peer-to-peer with Windows

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: HOWTO: Setup Samba peer-to-peer with Windows

wieman01 wrote:

An Ubuntu machine can browse Windows shares, it's tricky the other way around. Hence this thread.
    For me, I have to use samba precisely because this isn't true. I can get my Windows PC to see samba shares on my Ubuntu box occasionally (about 1/3 of the time), but I have never been able to get my Ubuntu computer to see Windows shares on my Windows PC. When I try to connect or browse the network, I get prompted to log in to the Windows workgroup, and no matter what account name and password I use, I am prompted again, and again, and again, and again, until I give up. I've tried creating new accounts, changing the passwords, etc. etc. and it never works; Ubuntu just keeps prompting me to log in.

Hence, I use samba shares on my Ubuntu computer, and tell my Windows computer to connect to them, and I use the samba account & password, and that works about 1/3rd of the time because the Windows PC usually can't detect the Ubuntu computer at all and claims that it doesn't exist. When this happens, I copy files back and forth using a USB jump drive.

-a
    Last edited by ahkond; August 25th, 2007 at 04:47 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by ahkond View Post
    wieman01 wrote:

For me, I have to use samba precisely because this isn't true. I can get my Windows PC to see samba shares on my Ubuntu box occasionally (about 1/3 of the time), but I have never been able to get my Ubuntu computer to see Windows shares on my Windows PC. When I try to connect or browse the network, I get prompted to log in to the Windows workgroup, and no matter what account name and password I use, I am prompted again, and again, and again, and again, until I give up. I've tried creating new accounts, changing the passwords, etc. etc. and it never works; Ubuntu just keeps prompting me to log in.

Hence, I use samba shares on my Ubuntu computer, and tell my Windows computer to connect to them, and I use the samba account & password, and that works about 1/3rd of the time because the Windows PC usually can't detect the Ubuntu computer at all and claims that it doesn't exist. When this happens, I copy files back and forth using a USB jump drive.

-a
    You are right. That's what I actually meant. Once Samba is installed Ubuntu does see other shared (Windows) drives, but not the other way around.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by wieman01 View Post
    You are right. That's what I actually meant. Once Samba is installed Ubuntu does see other shared (Windows) drives, but not the other way around.
    In my case, no. I have samba installed on my Ubuntu computer, but it still can't see other shared (Windows) drives. The other way around DOES work (Windows PC can see samba shares that are on the Ubuntu computer).

-a

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ahkond View Post
    In my case, no. I have samba installed on my Ubuntu computer, but it still can't see other shared (Windows) drives. The other way around DOES work (Windows PC can see samba shares that are on the Ubuntu computer).

-a
    Weird. It is the opposite way in my case. Anyway...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Lightbulb Re: HOWTO: Setup Samba peer-to-peer with Windows

Quote Originally Posted by cooldudeny View Post
    so if i will change it to the static ip address then where do i need to get the ip address to put in the fields ?

where will i get all the info from and once doing the static ip on my ubuntu pc do i have to do anything to my other computers on the network to acess the shared folder on ubuntu ?
    Check your router, first of all. Depending on your equipment and your present network setup you have a couple of different options.

1) Check your IP range. More than likely it will be on the main page of your router's management page. From there you can determine what IP address to give your static computer. Personally, I have my static IP's assigned by MAC - it keeps the DHCP'd computers from stealing the IP somehow. Also it keeps you from having to go to each individual computer and configuring networking.

2) Just go into your network setup in Ubuntu and plug in an available IP (that you got from your router's management page) and away you go.

Quote Originally Posted by wieman01 View Post
    These are basic networking questions, so I suggest that you do some reading on the web or so. You have option in Ubuntu's networking apple and there you can configure static leases and address. These are fundamentals that you should know before you start playing around with your network.
    RTFM? Nice response. Why waste a post with such statements?
    Dulce Bellum Inexpertis

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

i LOVE this thread ... THANKS alot !!!

been searching for an available sharing method whole day.
    i am using vmware player with Ubuntu Fiesty and this file sharing method is good.

THANKS !

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by stalker145 View Post
    RTFM? Nice response. Why waste a post with such statements?
    Goo question. But setting up a SAMBA share, etc. without basic networking knowledge means trouble. That's what I wanted to say. And this thread is a thread relating to network shares and not networking in general.

Nevertheless you have replied appropriately and thanks for it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Hey All!
    Many thanks to Stormbringer for this lovely How-To! You made it nice and smooth for us noobs out here!
    _-K-_

Beans

I am brand new to Linux and this tutorial was VERY nice to follow. I was able to install and configure Samba successfully, but I am not able to connect from my Windows laptop. I connect with the laptop via a wireless network. When I tried to map a drive I entered \\ip\MyFiles and was prompted to enter my username and password. After entering those I was re-prompted to enter them again, but with the NETBIOSNAME/username. This did not work either, I followed the instructions, so I am aware of what I set as my username and password as well. Any suggestions??

Also - I when I got to the schmod change command I wasn't sure which Terminal to use, or even if it matters. It might be good to clarify at that point in the process.

Additionally - I am not sure I understand what happens after I save and close the "gedit" editor. Where does it go and what does it do?

Lastly - this is what I am trying to do: I have an external HDD as storage and a Bluetooth USB for printing connected to my Ubuntu box (simply b/c it the best location in the house). I want to be able to access and use both of these devices and I understand that Samba is the way to get that done. Am I correct? Will I see the external HDD and Bluetooth USB when I am able to successfully connect to Samba from my Windows laptop?

Thanks so much and, again, GREAT tutorial.

Miershpedankl

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by miershpedankl View Post
    I was able to install and configure Samba successfully, but I am not able to connect from my Windows laptop.
    Have you created a SAMBA user account for your Windows user?
    Code:
    sudo smbpasswd -L -a your_username
    sudo smbpasswd -L -e your_username
    Also - I when I got to the schmod change command I wasn't sure which Terminal to use, or even if it matters. It might be good to clarify at that point in the process.
    Any command line tool. There is a terminal tool available in the Gnome menu somewhere (I don't use know, so I cannot tell you exactly where). As long as you open it and see your username and PC name with a prompt, you are ok.
    Additionally - I am not sure I understand what happens after I save and close the "gedit" editor. Where does it go and what does it do?
    Gedit lets you configure text files which are part of the system. Very much like Notepad in Windows. You edit files, save them, and close Gedit.
    Will I see the external HDD and Bluetooth USB when I am able to successfully connect to Samba from my Windows laptop?
    The external HD won't be an issue as long as you enable sharing on it. I cannot comment on Bluetooth as I know too little about it.

Page 41 of 106 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191 ... LastLast