Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Valve Corporation's Steam is coming to Linux in 2012

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Question Re: Valve Corporation's Steam is coming to Linux in 2012 -October it seems

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    Awesome. Now how long will it be before we get the new, free of charge Black Mesa game?
    Guess that depends on if or when they add support for Linux to the Source SDK downloads...
    Last edited by Sslaxx; September 24th, 2012 at 07:42 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Valve Corporation's Steam is coming to Linux in 2012

"middle of [October]", right...
    If the only reason you think your software is better is because it's FOSS, you need to write better software

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Quote Originally Posted by Merk42 View Post
    "middle of [October]", right...
    IE: Valve Corporation's Steam is coming to Linux in October 2013

XD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Beans

Re: Beta Testing 1st week in October.

So by the end of the month i reckon the second wave of beta invites will be out, good news.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

To be honest, I don't fancy the idea of Ubuntu becoming an OS like Android where people install tonnes of non free software.

I feel people should stick to free software except for really essential stuff when it isn't available e.g a non free driver.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Quote Originally Posted by kio_http View Post
    To be honest, I don't fancy the idea of Ubuntu becoming an OS like Android where people install tonnes of non free software.

I feel people should stick to free software except for really essential stuff when it isn't available e.g a non free driver.

I like the idea that non-free software will be developed for ubuntu. Can't see anything wrong with this.

The more software companies that invest in making software for ubuntu, the more choices we the users get. And it will attract more people to get ubuntu. Many are tired of windows, and they won't use the a lot of money to purchase mac, that leaves the linux scene with ubuntu in the front. The more people that uses ubuntu the more interested software companies will get to make software for ubuntu. I see this as win-win

Beans

I don't necessarily disagree with the idea that people should choose open source when available, if it is a workable alternative. However, there aren't good alternatives to most of the games available on Steam.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

I think it's good for people to feel that way for themselves, but not for them to feel like other people should have to be like what they want. There's nothing wrong with someone trying to stick to free software. But not everyone is going to want to live under those strict restrictions. Since there is no law against using proprietary software, this is one case where it's not worth it to try to force people to live according to these kind of guidelines.

But I believe that no matter how these things play out, Ubuntu is still a GNU/Linux distro (as much as I hate that term), and it always will be. Ubuntu users will never have the choice to stick to free software taken away from them. So, I really don't think it will turn into another Android, even if we let people who aren't as gung-ho about Free Software philosophy have their proprietary software.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by thatguruguy View Post
    I don't necessarily disagree with the idea that people should choose open source when available, if it is a workable alternative. However, there aren't good alternatives to most of the games available on Steam.
    Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    I think it's good for people to feel that way for themselves, but not for them to feel like other people should have to be like what they want. There's nothing wrong with someone trying to stick to free software. But not everyone is going to want to live under those strict restrictions. Since there is no law against using proprietary software, this is one case where it's not worth it to try to force people to live according to these kind of guidelines.

But I believe that no matter how these things play out, Ubuntu is still a GNU/Linux distro (as much as I hate that term), and it always will be. Ubuntu users will never have the choice to stick to free software taken away from them. So, I really don't think it will turn into another Android, even if we let people who aren't as gung-ho about Free Software philosophy have their proprietary software.
    Not that I think its a bad thing and of course people should chose what they want. But in my opinion it would be pretty sad if loads of commercial software appeared for Ubuntu and 99% of the users used non free software on Ubuntu systems like Android.

Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast