Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast

Thread: Valve Corporation's Steam is coming to Linux in 2012

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Valve Corporation's Steam is coming to Linux in 2012

Quote Originally Posted by FangLargo View Post
    Just saying, DRM isn't meant to add value. It's supposed to make the games more worthwhile for publishers.

But I agree. DRM is horrid, especially when it's over the top. Take EA. Their love affair with SecuROM used to be quite distasteful, and you won't ever catch me buying one of their games again.

I think Steam has it relatively just right. It stops me from copying my games for other people, and that's about it. I can play is online, offline, and I can move it around on a harddrive if I have to. So I'm not so bothered about Steam's DRM.

Valve, you've done something right again.
    I am hooked on the SimCity series, and have been for god knows how long. I hope they continue to release games on Steam-I will literally wait a year if it takes that long to publish it there, where the DRM is a 3 step process (1. login, 2. purchase/download, 3. stay up all night playing until you collapse from exhaustion).
    Backups are amazing. 99% of data loss can be prevented by spending less than $100 on an external drive.
    If you have seen an error, there is a good chance someone else has, too. Google is your friend.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Ubun2to View Post
    I am hooked on the SimCity series, and have been for god knows how long. I hope they continue to release games on Steam-I will literally wait a year if it takes that long to publish it there, where the DRM is a 3 step process (1. login, 2. purchase/download, 3. stay up all night playing until you collapse from exhaustion).
    Steams DRM is not bad, probably one of the better ones out there compared to some of the stuff I have encountered. You don't even have to login to play your games offline, login is only required for purchases and online play. You can also copy over a mates entire steam folder to save time downloading and just use your own login which is cool.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Yup. Steam is so convenient, and so relaxed, that if a game is not available on it, I rarely bother buying it.

It's one of the reasons I didn't bother with BF:3 - but just one.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Grenage View Post
    Yup. Steam is so convenient, and so relaxed, that if a game is not available on it, I rarely bother buying it.

It's one of the reasons I didn't bother with BF:3 - but just one.
    The only reason I have ever used non-Steam games is because the DRM was extremely limited due to it being on a CD. But, I digitized my library on Amazon.com, and Amazon has no real DRM besides sign in and download, which I am also perfectly fine with. Not sure about newer games on Amazon, as the library I digitized was over 5 years old and nearly unplayable because of disk scratches. Either way, it's a good system.
    Backups are amazing. 99% of data loss can be prevented by spending less than $100 on an external drive.
    If you have seen an error, there is a good chance someone else has, too. Google is your friend.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

DRM removes value.

Anyway, I don't see anything negative about Steam getting ported to Linux/GNU. It is not like people were not playing DRM-ed games in WINE already. People who want to keep their computers 100% free can just choose not to install steam.

Ubuntu already has closed codecs and DRM. And at least steam does not turn your desktop search into adware.
    Xye incredibly difficult puzzle game with minimal graphics. Also at playdeb
    Got a blog: Will Stay Free

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Valve Corporation's Steam - beta at UDS

Now that the wife has inherited my gaming rig I seriously have to whip the old one back into shape in preparation... If half the games Valve has made gets ported early that is more than enough to keep me busy for way to long (wouldn't it be ironic if HL2 Episode 3 came out as a Linux exclusive... not going to happen but imagine...)

Beans
    Distro

Re: Valve Corporation's Steam - beta at UDS

Portal on Linux? For real? Finally, we have good games besides Minecraft that we can play the day away on!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I downloaded and I installed Steam for Linux client and I setup my GUFW to allow the network ports so that I can connect to the Steam network. I am waiting for my invite. I applied for an invitation a few weeks ago.

Has anyone here gotten an invite in their e-mail inbox from Steam?

I am thinking that with the upcoming Christmas and New Year's Day holidays, Valve will send out more invitations to those that applied. I am hoping that they will invite me pretty soon.

I want to play some PC games using Steam for Linux, but I don't know which ones are interesting. I looked at the list of available PC games and I don't know which ones are good. I am looking for first person shooters and turn-based strategy games.

This is good news for Ubuntu users. I might be able to minimize the amount of time I use Microsoft Windows 8 Pro 64 bit now that Ubuntu is developing as a solid alternative that is free, open, and secure.

Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast