Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Valve Corporation's Steam is coming to Linux in 2012

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Valve Corporation's Steam is coming to Linux in 2012

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    Yeah, but now that they seem to be in the porting business, maybe they'll start getting more games over to MacOS, too.
    Well, if you follow @steam_games on twitter, and get the message X is now available on steamplay. Then you'll know something has been ported to MacOS
    AMD PII X6 @ 3.63 GHz - 16 GB DDR3 (1600 No OC) - ASUS Crosshair V Formula
    SB X-Fi 2 Sound (8ch) - Intel 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet - Win 8 Pro. x64
    AMD R HD 7950 (SAPPHIRE) - WD CG 500GB - Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by alexan View Post
    Just to understand how many games will be ported in Linux.

How many MacOS games are available through Steam?

Maybe we can have finally a more realistic and credible statistical idea (read: "lie") on Valve's ability to bring big names of the industry on other platform

You can't really say that linux will get 380 games as it would depend on the individual companies to port them.

For now I would say look at Valve's own Source Engine based games. Hopefully other companies follow suite.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    You can't really say that linux will get 380 games as it would depend on the individual companies to port them.

For now I would say look at Valve's own Source Engine based games. Hopefully other companies follow suite.
    I think you misunderstood. I think Gabe's talking about using WINE to "port" across the games that are not (or do not have made) native versions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I think Alexan's point is just because Steam is coming to Linux doesn't mean 100% of the library is too.
    If the only reason you think your software is better is because it's FOSS, you need to write better software

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by Sslaxx View Post
    I think you misunderstood. I think Gabe's talking about using WINE to "port" across the games that are not (or do not have made) native versions.
    I don't think so. They're actually almost finished creating and tweaking the native Linux port of the Source engine. I think he really intends to have native Linux ports of a lot of Source engine games. It's the 3rd party game creators that distribute their games with Steam that he can't control.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post

I think it will get more. The hardware is better. I don't know anyone with a MAC that plays any games. Everyone that I know who has linux plays games. You are talking about a completely different target market.

Of course, all of it remains to be seen, but I have confidence.
    "I'd group the Gnome 3s, the KDE4s, the Unitys and the win8s with the same tag "Attempted to fix problems that didn't exist by breaking stuff that worked". - vexorian
    On another note, it looks like I'm back to ATI.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2408016,00.asp

It looks like Microsoft Windows 8 is going to be much more secure by default than Microsoft Windows 7. It also looks like it will protect against attack vectors targeting the memory.

This all looks to be very tempting to me. I might just wind up upgrading for $39.99 USD on October 26th, 2012.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Merk42 View Post
    I think Alexan's point is just because Steam is coming to Linux doesn't mean 100% of the library is too.
    That's a good point, but not mine.

My point is a to have a rough statistics on how many game translate "Steam for Linux"
    Game count for Apple is 380 titles and has ~6% of market share (let's call it drain interest from software house.
    Let's suppose that Linux it's still at 1%... 1/6 worth for the software houses interest.
    1/6 of 380 is 63 titles. Which is not a very promising base. But let's try to extend a bit with some potential Linux has to offer (why Linux could drain more interest in both Valve and other software houses)

1. No owner: Mac owner is Apple and Valve has to obbey to Apple's house rules. Windows owner is Microsoft and same rule apply. Plus both Apple and Microsoft suffer form "unfair" competition: soon both Apple and Microsoft will push for every pc sold their own market. Unfair field for another marketer like Valve
    2. future of the platform Independence: you don't like what Trovalds is going to plug in the future kernel? Just do like Google with Android: fork it (or find alliance to do so). Your work is never lost if you've enough skill/development capabilities.
    3. Costs license: 0, seriously... your clients hasn't to pay for their OS within each update (XP, Vista, Seven, 8... lion, leopard caturday&co). So where other user pay for update their OS, Linux user can just buy 3~4 more games. Yeah, that's a weak point, but still stand.
    4. Make your own distro. Let's figure all those poor XP users that are still locked to Direct 9 perfomances. Now, imagine Valve make it's own distro exactly on propouse to run on dual boot: latest kernel, latest OpenGL, latest drivers only to run your game at full throttle.
    IE: shutdown XP > reboot in linux in about ~30sec (only modules and stuff need for gaming) > launch game.
    Thare are more points that actually doesn't come up in my mind

In rough "market share" statistic Linux has very low interest, but as the Ouya project show... interest is something that can be build in few weeks if you have a good idea.
    What if someday login in your facebook account you're required to accept yet-another-update license agreement saying you're a total idiot? Quit Facebook, join Diaspora*
    my webcomics ~ my diasp*

Beans

Gabe Newell is also talking to other companies using steam as their delivery platform about their porting work for Linux. Maybe one or two of them bite.

Either way only time will tell what's gonna happen.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Apparently "Left 4 Dead" runs faster on Linux/OpenGL than Windows/Direct3d...

"That the Linux version runs faster than the Windows version (270.6) seems a little counter-intuitive, given the greater amount of time we have spent on the Windows version. However, it does speak to the underlying efficiency of the kernel and OpenGL."

http://blogs.valvesoftware.com/linux/faster-zombies/

Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast