Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 199

Thread: Valve Corporation's Steam is coming to Linux in 2012

  1. #131
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Beans
    996
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Valve Corporation's Steam is coming to Linux in 2012

    I don't get the hate on the term GNU/Linux, it has the Linux kernel and it uses GNU's tools. If we were actually not using GNU tools and they weren't so darn useful or critical for the execution of our pretty GUIs, then I would understand so. But they are so robust that it is no wonder they are the base of our whole infraestructure. It is fair to dislike people trying to force you to use that name. But the term GNU/Linux in and on itself is accurate and not offensive.

    Anyway, it is good to be able to install non-free software. And people are already installing tons of it in Ubuntu without Steam's help. Also, games are not a core component or a necessary component, so lock-in is not a risk. Nobody really has to play video games, so at leat to me proprietary video games are much less of a concern than a proprietary kernel, development environment or drivers.
    Xye incredibly difficult puzzle game with minimal graphics. Also at playdeb
    Got a blog: Will Stay Free

  2. #132
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Denmark - Scandinavia
    Beans
    18,456

    Re: Valve Corporation's Steam is coming to Linux in 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by kio_http View Post
    Not that I think its a bad thing and of course people should chose what they want. But in my opinion it would be pretty sad if loads of commercial software appeared for Ubuntu and 99% of the users used non free software on Ubuntu systems like Android.
    The choice of free will. As long people can choose I don't see a problem. Those who want to run strict FOSS can do so, and those who do not care as long as it works can do so too. Both groups can live under the same roof as long we have both/more options.
    My favourite place of all, is the closet in the hall

    | Ubuntuforums on Facebook |

    Try elementary OS - https://elementary.io

  3. #133
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Beans
    6,024

    Re: Valve Corporation's Steam is coming to Linux in 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by kio_http View Post
    But in my opinion it would be pretty sad if loads of commercial software appeared for Ubuntu and 99% of the users used non free software on Ubuntu systems like Android.
    Is your system 100% FOSS, devoid of any binary blobs, codecs etc?

  4. #134
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Indiana
    Beans
    1,933
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

    Re: Valve Corporation's Steam is coming to Linux in 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by kio_http View Post
    Not that I think its a bad thing and of course people should chose what they want. But in my opinion it would be pretty sad if loads of commercial software appeared for Ubuntu and 99% of the users used non free software on Ubuntu systems like Android.
    To an extent, I agree with you. I'd hate to see Ubuntu get watered down to the point that it's really no better than Windows with a different face. But even with an influx of proprietary choices, I don't think it will ever get that far.

    Quote Originally Posted by vexorian View Post
    I don't get the hate on the term GNU/Linux, it has the Linux kernel and it uses GNU's tools. If we were actually not using GNU tools and they weren't so darn useful or critical for the execution of our pretty GUIs, then I would understand so. But they are so robust that it is no wonder they are the base of our whole infraestructure. It is fair to dislike people trying to force you to use that name. But the term GNU/Linux in and on itself is accurate and not offensive.
    My problem with it is that it isn't accurate. As a KDE user, I'd say that less than 10% of my whole OS is GNU. Remember that GNU doesn't mean GPL; it means that it's a part of the GNU Project. So if less than 10% of my OS is part of the GNU Project, I don't think it should get half the name when there are so many other parts that take up a bigger piece of the pie. I appreciate GNU. I just don't think it's enough of my OS to get half the name.

    But with the existence of things like Android, which uses the Linux kernel, but isn't compatible, I just grudgingly used that term to make clear what I was talking about.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

  5. #135
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Beans
    138
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

    Re: Valve Corporation's Steam is coming to Linux in 2012

    Buying games on Steam doesn't bring up any ethical debates for me. Open content would be great but the reality is not many media companies are able (or at least willing) to work that way. I don't have a problem with buying or renting movies either.

  6. #136
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    England
    Beans
    2,726

    Re: Valve Corporation's Steam is coming to Linux in 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by Ji Ruo View Post
    Buying games on Steam doesn't bring up any ethical debates for me. Open content would be great but the reality is not many media companies are able (or at least willing) to work that way. I don't have a problem with buying or renting movies either.
    Exactly, it makes me sick people trying to stick their own views down peoples throats.

    If you don't like closed source that's fine, but you don't have to go on at other people if they actually like using it.

  7. #137
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Beans
    0

    Re: Valve Corporation's Steam is coming to Linux in 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by ELD View Post
    Exactly, it makes me sick people trying to stick their own views down peoples throats.
    Take it easy, no-one's done that (at least not since your last post). Those people are entitled to their opinions too (not that I agree with them).

    Closed beta starts next month: http://blogs.valvesoftware.com/linux...-than-never-3/

  8. #138
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Beans
    3

    Re: Valve Corporation's Steam is coming to Linux in 2012

    Some of my thoughts on the matter had to take the form of a blog:

    http://www.hookedgamers.com/editoria...ux_gamers.html

    (my sister drew the penguin pic)

  9. #139
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Beans
    594
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

    Re: Valve Corporation's Steam is coming to Linux in 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    Is your system 100% FOSS, devoid of any binary blobs, codecs etc?
    No, I but I use maximum FOSS software as possible like I stated earlier. I am not like Stallman who wants proprietary software to not exist. In fact (except for the Windows Store lockdown) I support Microsoft's strategy as believe that it should co-exist.

    At present my 12.10 system does not have any non free software being used (including drivers) except for codecs and Google Chrome (for pepper flash on youtube only).

    What I mean is that I personally would not like Ubuntu to be full of non-free software. i.e I would not encourage users to use Ubuntu as a platform mainly to run proprietary software. i.e Use photoshop when gimp does the job. Why? Simply because the progress of alternative FOSS projects is hindered. Had they been using Gimp, they might have submitted valuable feedback and bug reports.

    The problem with a non-free environment is that some vendors can use aggressive marketing strategies. Microsoft in general offers good support for there products and I appreciate that they haven't killed XP the moment Vista and 7 came out in terms of security updates. Apple on the other hand really wants to dictate you. Lets say you have an iPhone and want to develop apps, you need a Mac, you need to deploy via the Apple Store. Now when that mac is a couple of years old you need a new one to run the latest Mac OS X. If you stick with the old, you don't get security updates and development tools for newer iOS versions. So you are forced to buy a new Mac even though the old one is theoretically able to run the new software. Its really unfair to consumers and developers to have the deployment of your iOS app controlled by Apple. The store can exist but side loading should be possible too.

  10. #140
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    127.0.0.1
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: Valve Corporation's Steam is coming to Linux in 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by kio_http View Post
    No, I but I use maximum FOSS software as possible like I stated earlier. I am not like Stallman who wants proprietary software to not exist. In fact (except for the Windows Store lockdown) I support Microsoft's strategy as believe that it should co-exist.

    At present my 12.10 system does not have any non free software being used (including drivers) except for codecs and Google Chrome (for pepper flash on youtube only).

    What I mean is that I personally would not like Ubuntu to be full of non-free software. i.e I would not encourage users to use Ubuntu as a platform mainly to run proprietary software. i.e Use photoshop when gimp does the job. Why? Simply because the progress of alternative FOSS projects is hindered. Had they been using Gimp, they might have submitted valuable feedback and bug reports.

    The problem with a non-free environment is that some vendors can use aggressive marketing strategies. Microsoft in general offers good support for there products and I appreciate that they haven't killed XP the moment Vista and 7 came out in terms of security updates. Apple on the other hand really wants to dictate you. Lets say you have an iPhone and want to develop apps, you need a Mac, you need to deploy via the Apple Store. Now when that mac is a couple of years old you need a new one to run the latest Mac OS X. If you stick with the old, you don't get security updates and development tools for newer iOS versions. So you are forced to buy a new Mac even though the old one is theoretically able to run the new software. Its really unfair to consumers and developers to have the deployment of your iOS app controlled by Apple. The store can exist but side loading should be possible too.
    Um, Photoshop on Linux would not hinder Gimp's development. GIMP exists outside of the Linux world, it's quite popular. Not everyone can afford Adobe Photoshop.

    Photoshop on Linux would give users choice, and actually offer competition which encourages development.
    That's what she said.

Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •