Page 49 of 166 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999149 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto Install 32 bit Firefox with Flash w/sound and Java for AMD64

Beans

Re: Howto Install 32 bit Firefox with Flash w/sound and Java for AMD64

Alright, since the orginal firefox32 install i did wasn't working on Feisty, i decided to give this a run on the new Development version just for kicks.

Well, Everything ran GREAT, but everytime i run the firefox32 app it cannot connect to the internet and I get a page cannot be displayed.

This is what i get in terminal
    Code:
    ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/lib32/libpangohack.so.0' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
    esd: no process killed
    ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/lib32/libpangohack.so.0' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.

(firefox-bin:10132): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
            Using the fallback 'C' locale.

Anyone know if those might be the reasons?

Beans

I started looking up those errors and none of them have to do with the reason firefox32 isnt loading webpages.

Oh, and the error is not Page cannot be displayed, its "Server not found".

And keep in mind the 64bit firefox is what im using now and it's working fine.

Beans

I used these directions to setup firefox2 with the plugins. Everything worked for the most part, with one problem.

I had previously set things up to share my firefox and thunderbird profiles and email folders with windows XP on a fat32 partition, so that any updates/changes would be available no matter which OS I was using. This previous setup worked for months with no problem. However, I didn't have flash or java.

After running the install script to get firefox2, I now have a problem. Running firefox2 makes that shared partition (the whole partition) read-only. This means that new mail can no longer be downloaded, old mail cannot be deleted, etc.. Once I kill the firefox2 process, the partition is still read-only. So I still can't read mail, nor can I touch a file there. But I also can't restart firefox without a message reporting a security error. The root of the problem is that firefox cannot write to the profile any more (since the partition is now read-only).

If I umount and re-mount the partition, things are fine until the next time I start firefox. Then I have to unmount and remount the partition again.

I'm aware of firefox lock files in the profile, but what is the problem that would cause firefox to set the entire partition to read-only?

If it matters: AMD64 X2 system running Dapper Drake.

Thanks,
    Ray
    Last edited by radinator; December 14th, 2006 at 07:09 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by gearshifter View Post
    Alright, since the orginal firefox32 install i did wasn't working on Feisty, i decided to give this a run on the new Development version just for kicks.

Well, Everything ran GREAT, but everytime i run the firefox32 app it cannot connect to the internet and I get a page cannot be displayed.

This is what i get in terminal
    Code:
    esd: no process killed

Anyone know if those might be the reasons?
    It means "ignore me" Its saying the lib cant be preloaded. As for not connecting, it looks like an upgrade has broken something. Are you using Edgy?
    I trust Microsoft as far as I could comfortably spit a dead rat

I'm in my third year at a Lutheran seminary!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by radinator View Post
    I used these directions to setup firefox2 with the plugins. Everything worked for the most part, with one problem.

I had previously set things up to share my firefox and thunderbird profiles and email folders with windows XP on a fat32 partition, so that any updates/changes would be available no matter which OS I was using. This previous setup worked for months with no problem. However, I didn't have flash or java.

After running the install script to get firefox2, I now have a problem. Running firefox2 makes that shared partition (the whole partition) read-only. This means that new mail can no longer be downloaded, old mail cannot be deleted, etc.. Once I kill the firefox2 process, the partition is still read-only. So I still can't read mail, nor can I touch a file there. But I also can't restart firefox without a message reporting a security error. The root of the problem is that firefox cannot write to the profile any more (since the partition is now read-only).

If I umount and re-mount the partition, things are fine until the next time I start firefox. Then I have to unmount and remount the partition again.

I'm aware of firefox lock files in the profile, but what is the problem that would cause firefox to set the entire partition to read-only?

If it matters: AMD64 X2 system running Dapper Drake.

Thanks,
    Ray
    I have no idea, this is a new one. I have never read about this happening.
    I trust Microsoft as far as I could comfortably spit a dead rat

I'm in my third year at a Lutheran seminary!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Thanks a lot ! ! This helped me get firefox 32 and flash9 installed and youtube is working fine now

Installed flash 7 first, but there was no sound,and after mucking around with the solutions, it still didn't work so I tried flash 9, and so far its working Having said that, I think i might have a little bit of what people are reporting that the sound might be a little out of sync(just a half sec), but I can bear with that for the time being

Cheers,
    Kinson

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

This thread helped me get off of Swiftfox and into IceWeasel instead. Thanks!
    {Update}
    Seems that you can get mplayer to work with the plugin if you install the 64-bit mplayer-nogui package. It worked for me anyway. Good luck!
    Last edited by Azakus; December 19th, 2006 at 11:11 PM. Reason: mplayer working
    Ubuntu > Windows
    Man is free at the instant he wants to be. -- Voltaire

Beans
    Hidden!

Hi Kilz,

Thanks for the script - I'd pretty much given up hope of Firefox running on amd64 ubuntu.

I'm getting the same errors as ceedub; vis:

(firefox-bin:9242): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.

(firefox-bin:9242): Gtk-WARNING **: /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/engines/libqtengine.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

(firefox-bin:9242): Gtk-WARNING **: /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/engines/libqtengine.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

Google's drawn a blank. Any idea where I can start looking?

Beans

I've ran into a problem not being able to find '.macromedia." Here are the steps that I have taken:

sudo apt-get install ia32-libs lib32asound2 lib32ncurses5 ia32-libs-sdl ia32-libs-gtk gsfonts gsfonts-x11 linux32

Download the Firefox32 .deb file. and the ia32-lib-firefox-amd64 packages save them to your desktiop.
    Doubble click on ia32-lib-firefox and let Gedebi install it first then do the same with the firefox deb.

Flash 7
    We are going to be installing the Macromedia Flash Player from adobe. It is a restricted format because it isn't free as in freedom software. It is however free as in beer.
    First off Download the Macromedia Flash Player and move it to your desktop if your files download to another directory.

We will now untar and install Macromedia Flash
    Code:
    cd ~/Desktop
    tar -xzvf install_flash_player_7_linux.tar.gz
    sudo linux32 ./install_flash_player_7_linux/flashplayer-installer

tom@tom-desktop:/usr/lib32$ sudo linux32 ./install_flash_player_7_linux/flashplayer-installer

Copyright(C) 2002-2003 Macromedia, Inc. All rights reserved.

Macromedia Flash Player 7 for Linux

Macromedia Flash Player 7 will be installed on this machine.

You are running the Macromedia Flash Player installer as the "root" user.
    Macromedia Flash Player 7 will be installed system-wide.

Support is available at http://www.macromedia.com/support/flashplayer/

To install Macromedia Flash Player 7 now, press ENTER.

To cancel the installation at any time, press Control-C.

NOTE: Macromedia Flash Player requires two font packages
    to be installed, gsfonts and gsfonts-x11.

Press ENTER to continue...

NOTE: Please exit any browsers you may have running.

Press ENTER to continue...

Please enter the installation path of the Mozilla, Netscape,
    or Opera browser (i.e., /usr/lib/mozilla): /usr/lib32/firefox32/

WARNING: An older version of the Macromedia Flash Player has been detected in
    /usr/lib32/firefox32//plugins.
    The installer will overwrite this existing binary.

----------- Install Action Summary -----------

Macromedia Flash Player 7 will be installed in the following directory:

Browser installation directory = /usr/lib32/firefox32/

Proceed with the installation? (y/n/q): y

Installation complete.

Perform another installation? (y/n): n

Please log out of this session and log in for the changes to take effect.

The Macromedia Flash Player installation is complete.

Hit enter again when it asks you if you want to install or quit.
    The installer will ask you to make sure 2 fonts are installed. We did that along with some other packages as the first step of this howto so hit enter.
    It will ask you to close all browsers, and then what location it wants you to install to. Type in "/usr/lib32/firefox32/".
    Type yes to proceed with the installation, then n if you want to perform another install.
    Finally to make sure sound works with flash use this command, make sure to change <username> to your username.
    Code:
    chown -R <username>:users /home/<username>/.macromedia

tom@tom-desktop:/usr/lib32$ chown -R tom:users /home/tom/.macromediachown: cannot access `/home/tom/.macromedia': No such file or directory
    Last edited by TWFJR; December 23rd, 2006 at 07:58 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Re: Resolving error mplayer ia32openoffice

Hi- when I did the ls /usr/mplayer it showed mplayer, mplayer32 and mplayer64- but did not show file with the -al command- is this where my conflict lies? I am unable to update open office- E: /var/cache/apt/archives/ia32-libs-openoffice.org_17_amd64.deb trying to overwrite '/usr/lib32/lib/20.so-1.0.0' in package mplayer32.

Thanks in advance, I just upgraded amd64_generic from Dapper to Edgy.

William

Page 49 of 166 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999149 ... LastLast