Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: flash, gnash or perhaps lightspark on ibook G4 ?

Beans

flash, gnash or perhaps lightspark on ibook G4 ?

I`m still working with setting up 12.04 on my old ibook, and I`m sticking with it.

From what I read on the FAQ page there is a possible hope to stream flash via gnash or lightspark, and of course sound is a must !!

Has anyone managed to make any sort of videos and streams work outside of Firefox Flash Video Replacer (which works fine for youtube and some other sites).

I know there are enough old ibooks and powerpcs out there to make enough interest in making lubuntu run these computers. The ibook is still good enough for most daily applications, and interest in an alternative to osx should definitely is definitely there.

When I try to stream adobe flash oriented content, no applicable software is detected. I did install browser-plugin-gnash, but nothing really happened.

Does anye care to "think out loud" in relation to flash streaming content?

Beans

Re: flash, gnash or perhaps lightspark on ibook G4 ?

I just installed gnash and lightspark for the first time. Neither seem to work in firefox- the addons manager says Flash is installed however nothing happens when I load pages with flash content (it just comes up with a blank rectangle). Gnash works with Midori, on the other hand. But it is choppy. Even 240p youtube video has a low framerate. Audio works but I started from regular Ubuntu with Pulse Audio was already installed- not sure if gnash requires it. If it does, you'll have to install it in lubuntu, as well.
    Last edited by gwjvan; July 14th, 2012 at 01:59 AM.

Beans

Yes, odd about Midori, gnash runs but, a bit jerky, and with sound Firefox not at all. All I have insalled extra for gnash is a browser plugin.

Not sure why flash runs so badly, or rather how Firefox manages to stream so smoothly in flash video replacer. I haven`t dared install lightspark yet in fear of installing interfering packages.

I would be happy if I could stream lokal tv though, which is either windows mediaplayer based or silverlight, and there is also a adobe flash player beta version available. Gecko and mplayer at least used to rund with no problem on regular pc though.

Beans

Gnash works, clear and fine, it is some issue with browser that makes it act up.

Edit; I`m wondering if gnash and lightspark browser plugins are broken or something. I`ve been given capable help, but it hasn`t resulted in anything. Have developers tested the software availabble for ppowerpc 12.04 for compatibility with windows mediaplayer and adobe flash player oriented sites?

I`m still working on gnash, lightspark to play, and the gecko-mplayer browser setup too, which is very nice when set up correctly.
    Last edited by 2blue; July 14th, 2012 at 05:31 PM.

Beans

I have totally messed up this install and nothing works anymore regarding media players, dvd or flash stream. It is dangerous work messing with all kinds of install and advice from irc support. "#¤%&!!

I will make a new install, and it really helps talking to someone with the same or similar hardware. I wonder if developers and testers have any contact to amateur uses like me, who just wants to have linux on their laptops?

Anyhow, I cannot fix the mess I have made, so all new install is required.

Beans

What was the last thing you changed before the media playback became unusable?

Beans

I spent hours on irc, messing with packages for gnash, mozilla plugins, following suggenstions for configuration of gnash /lighspark. I have no idea what I was doing half the time. Some guy insisted I should try SMPlayer, which was really stupid (but it seemed like a good idea at the time). I even used some sort of firefox extention for fixing flash, and all it did was remove plugins and suggest installing adobe (#¤%&!!). And after all that DVD did not play at all anymore, amd now I have reinstalled 12-04 all ove, and need to go online with wire to do the initial update and setup all over again. I have a feeling the gnome mplayer and gecko setup should work in browser even on ppc though. Gnash and lightspark plugins seem broken some how, or just not working, but they are often a pain on any computer anyhow.
    Last edited by 2blue; July 15th, 2012 at 06:10 PM.

Beans

SMPlayer messed something up?

Beans

Not unlikely at all, but I have had this trouble before in lubuntu on regular 32bit computers when trying different codecs, packages etc. to make videos stream in browser. I've often installed VLC along side mplayer and it can interfere with mplayer, gecko and vlc mozilla plugin do not go together easily, and horror somtimes if you want to remove it and get back to the original setup.

Beans

I have managed to do all updates and make most stuff run, and I am braving up for a new attempt at gnash and playing videos in browser. So far I haven`t made anything run in browser, neither hmtl5, mplayer-gecko (where applicable), nor gnash. As standalone players they seem to work though, just not in browser or directly from site. What works best is Firefox plugin Flash Video Replacer, but it is a sort of workaround for flash and it seems to work through the mplayer-gecko setup.

First issue might as well be making gnash and lightspark work in browser, or at all really. Any suggestions on how to tackle it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast