Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GUI to Adjust Mouse Scroll Speed in Ubuntu

Beans

GUI to Adjust Mouse Scroll Speed in Ubuntu

Ubuntu developers, Gnome developers, GTK developers, this post is aimed directly at you.

Lack of scroll wheel speed control in Ubuntu is an extremely serious issue! Currently, "pressing" mouse button 4 or 5 will scroll any page up or down by about 3 lines. This is much too slow for many users.

I recently wiped my hard disk off all things Microsoft and switched to Ubuntu 10.4. In my previous operating system, there was a nice GUI for increasing the number of lines scrolled by the mouse wheel. Thinking this a trivial user input setting, I searched for a similar GUI in gnome to no avail.

Take one moment to imagine my dismay. I am not hesitant to admit that I use the mouse extensively. Most modern web-surfers do. I am used to my mouse scrolling 12 lines per click, so that I can skim comments and threads such as this one in a few seconds. Currently, on Ubuntu, it takes me 10 to 15 seconds to scroll through some comment pages.

Apparently, you do not know the luxury of scrolling 10 or more lines at once with the mouse wheel click, as one gets used to eying important information from a quick scroll-through of a page that has thousands of lines of text. Right now I feel like I'm being forced to use a low bicycle gear on the steepest of hills. It is frustrating, maddening, and quite inconvenient.

It is obvious that there is a system-wide variable that controls the number of lines to be scrolled, as I also experience this problem in the IDE that I use. All we want as Ubuntu users is the ability to change this variable, just to know where this value lies would be information enough.

Yes, this issue has been talked about since 2002.
    It appears in this Ubuntu answers post: (which should not be marked as solved!)
    https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/9200

I am aware that there is a formal bug associated with this:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s....0/+bug/124440

There is even a very active Ubuntu brainstorm topic for this:
    http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/item/3214/

I know that this can be fixed in Firefox, which can somehow magically override the system scrolling value. Do I use Firefox? NO! I use Chromium, and 100 other application that use scrollbars. The maddeningly slow scrolling throughout the operating system gives me that feeling of toy-OS that I had when I first tried Ubuntu five years ago.

Now I love everything about this distro, save for this one extremely aggravating and laughable oversight in user input customization. Is this not an accessibility issue? If I only had the use of the fingers on one hand, I would not want to waste hours of my life scrolling through pages that could take me three seconds to scroll. Not all disabled individuals have special input devices, they don't want to spend their life scrolling.

And don't tell me I can fix it in xorg.conf either, because if you mention "VertScrollDelta" it's is a device specific option that does nothing for most people.

This is not a "Wishlist" bug!
    This not something to be "Triage"d!
    And it surely is not a "Papercut"!

For me, and many tens-of-thousands of users like me, this is a "Chop of One's Fingers With an Exacto-knife" bug. Until it is fixed.

Honestly, how hard can it be? 5 Lines of code added to the mouse-settings dialog.
    Last edited by OregonTrail; July 15th, 2010 at 08:08 AM.

Beans

Re: GUI to Adjust Mouse Scroll Speed in Ubuntu

If anyone has a solution for this please post.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have been searching off and on for quite some time now, and spent hours the last few days looking for *anything* at this point to speed up my mouse wheel. I too would greatly appreciate it if something were done about this, and completely agree with OregonTrail.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Bump

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I am a senior in computer science and this is my last (fingers crossed) year and probably one of my hardest. I have a few weeks before school starts and accordingly have some spare time before I will need to divert my attention to class. If anybody could point me in the right direction I would love to try my hand at some sort of solution. Just some basic info on where to start would be greatly appreciated. I know, Google is my friend, but I would rather not spend days or possibly weeks during the remaining portion of my summer vacation searching in vain. Once again, any information to point me in the right direction would be appreciated.
    Didn't mean to intrude on your post OregonTrail, but would really like to get some solution at least started.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Talking Re: GUI to Adjust Mouse Scroll Speed in Ubuntu

Wow, talk about crickets chirping. I just wanted to add my support for this function. I hope we get some love soon.

Beans

Go to Ubuntu Software center and add Pointing Devices. This GUI allows you to adjust ALL settings for every mouse connected to the system... including scrolling speed.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thank you gainead, have you adjusted scroll speed and verified a change? I have played with this program before (installed through synaptic) and after changing every setting I am unable to notice any difference in scroll speed, even after verifying which button is my wheel. Just for fun, I intalled through the Software Center and experienced the same results. Can anybody else post results from their experience with this app?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

This may or may not be of any help,but I just booted into XP (something I do very rarely) and found that when back in Lucid, the mouse scroll wheel was very high.(MS wireless mouse)
    I rebooted into XP ,went to mouse in control panel and hit apply.Rebooted into Lucid and scroll speed was back to normal.
    16.10 amd64

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

@Paulgirardin
    I think your mouse may have inherited settings from XP then ratained them in Ubuntu, it's not uncommon for one OS to change a setting in a device and have it "carry over", even through reboots. If you could replicate the situation and then use "xev" to show if your mouse is to blame. Xev just shows mouse actions, can be launched by typing "xev", and can help us track down what's going on in your situation. I'm guessing that for every 1 click (wheel roll), your mouse is showing multiple clicks.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast