Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Living with Microsoft Windows 7 for the next several years

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Living with Microsoft Windows 7 for the next several years

I didn't read all of your posts so this may not be relevant any longer, but the first mentions end of support was a worry. Support for all users has now been extended through to 2017. Windows 7 was originally looking at a Mainstream Support end-date of 2015.

All users can now expect support to last through to 2020 if all service packs are installed.
    Remember When Double-Dog dare ya's and water balloons were the ultimate weapon?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Unless I land a new job that requires me to use Microsoft Windows, Office, and other Microsoft hardware and software products and services, Microsoft Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate Edition Service Pack 1 and future service packs will be the last version that I will use for the next several years from today. I have used Microsoft Windows since Windows 95 and I think that Ubuntu will continue to meet and exceed my needs and usage scenarios in the future. I pretty much stopped playing PC games on any platform. I have become a multimedia consumer to satiate my entertainment needs and Ubuntu handles that just as well. I do not see myself upgrading to future Microsoft Windows or Office versions because LibreOffice is a suitable alternative for my basic needs. Windows does have cutting edge hardware support and compatibility, but I have learned some hard lessons in the past with becoming an early adopter of cutting edge technologies.

When I get accepted to both Montclair State University and Kean University for my Masters of Arts in English with Writing Studies concentration degree program, I am going to see if Microsoft Windows 7 and Office 2010 are required to complete my degree requirements. I think that it is not mandatory and I can get by using Ubuntu and LibreOffice for the next two years starting in January 2013.

I am tired of vendor lock in. I am tired of digital rights management. I am tired of system freezes and application crashes in the middle of my digital work flow imposed by Microsoft Windows and Office along with other third party Microsoft Windows software applications. I am tired of the blue screen of death and corrupted system files.

Microsoft and Apple users have limited rights and freedom to use their PCs and devices along with their software applications and their own data. I remember the difficulty and the enormous amount of time wasted on January 4th, 2012 when I switched from Windows to Ubuntu. I hate the security vulnerabilities especially 0 day vulnerabilities and the attack vectors aimed at Microsoft and Apple users worldwide.

In fact, if I can get by using Ubuntu and LibreOffice at my university, then I will make an up to date copy of my Virtualbox VMs folder to my Western Digital My Passport 2 TB USB 3 Portable hard disk drive, Kingston DataTraveler HyperX 128 GB USB 3 thumb drive, and my Seagate FreeAgent Desk 1.5 TB USB 2.0 hard disk drive and I will delete my guest virtual machine off my Crucial M4 2.5" SATA-III 6 GB/s MLC NAND FLASH 128 GB Solid State Drive in order to save 54 GBs of available disk space from my SSD. I have found that I can live with 128 GB of SSD storage capacity quite easily for a very long period of time such as 3 years.

Microsoft Windows 7 64 bit gets on my nerves. There are always new threats and security vulnerabilities some of which are critical and require out of band updates. This is annoying to me. Most of my time is spent maintaining Microsoft Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate Edition Service Pack 1 and Office 2010 Professional Plus 32 bit Service Pack 1. It is a waste of my time. I don't want to be bothered by this chore in the future.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Woo!! This is a good piece!

for my Masters of Arts in English with Writing Studies concentration degree program,
    You ought to write some articles and post them online (such as Ezine Articles) about using linux in mainstream writing situations. Not to diss any other, but to tell how linux software can merge comfortably with other popular word processing programs. There is no longer any need to tie a writer to one program only. Universities and publishers shouldn't need to fear.

Good luck!
    Remember When Double-Dog dare ya's and water balloons were the ultimate weapon?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Welly Wu View Post
    The other problem is that Microsoft Windows 7 64 bit is slow even on my brand new System76 Lemur Ultra laptop PC.

[SNIP]

I have Symantec Norton 360 version 6, Macecraft Software jv16 PowerTools 2012, ReviverSoft Driver Reviver 2.1, Piriform CCleaner, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, Super Anti-Spyware Professional, WinPatrol Plus, QFX Software KeyScrambler Premium, VS Group Revo Uninstaller Professional, File Hippo, Secunia PSI version 3.0, and Microsoft Office 2010 Professional Plus 32 bit Service Pack 1 along with other software applications.
    That right there is your problem. Windows 7 doesn't need all of these 'system optimisers'. Use Microsoft Security Essentials and once in a while run CCleaner. If you use common sense and stay away from suspect websites and don't install buckets of software you'll never use then Windows 7 runs just fine.

Beans
    Distro

You need to read why I installed all of that security software before you choose to reply.

I switched from Oracle VM Virtualbox 4.1.22 64 bit to VM Ware Workstation 9.0.0 64 bit. Everything works right out of the box. I re-activated Microsoft Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate Edition Service Pack 1 and I also enabled VT-x hardware acceleration. I have yet to turn on encryption and restrictions, but I might do that later today. In the meantime, my Ubuntu 12.04.1 64 bit Long Term Service is running perfectly fine for me today. I have a few very minor problems, but it is certainly nothing that I can't resolve with some effort later on.

Onwards and upwards!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Welly Wu View Post
    You need to read why I installed all of that security software before you choose to reply.

I switched from Oracle VM Virtualbox 4.1.22 64 bit to VM Ware Workstation 9.0.0 64 bit. Everything works right out of the box. I re-activated Microsoft Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate Edition Service Pack 1 and I also enabled VT-x hardware acceleration. I have yet to turn on encryption and restrictions, but I might do that later today. In the meantime, my Ubuntu 12.04.1 64 bit Long Term Service is running perfectly fine for me today. I have a few very minor problems, but it is certainly nothing that I can't resolve with some effort later on.

Onwards and upwards!
    Well... I read all the way to the end of this thread to make sure that it hadn't already been suggested to you, but VMware Workstation will give you most of what you apparently have been searching for and you already have it. Good deal!

I like to use it with seamless mode turned on at work. There are very few applications that I need to use ******* with so this works perfect for me.

Good luck in your studies!
    Inspiron N7010 | Intel Core i5 480m | 8GB DDR3 | 750GB Seagate 7200RPM | Intel WiFi 6200 | Intel HD Graphics

...on Lucid 64bit.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Welly
    How many Ubuntu Forums members here completed either an undergraduate or graduate degree using Ubuntu? How did you do it?
    On my personal computer, I have only Ubuntu--no other OS. I'm an engineering major and I have an RDC to the university's engineering computer lab, which runs Windows Server 2008. So I use the RDC for what I absolutely need Windows for (i.e. matlab and not much else) and I use my own Ubuntu install for everything else.

I was (pleasantly) surprised to read that you're in the humanities--not many humanities folk are into Linux.
    If you have freedom but you don't value it, you're likely to lose it. -Richard Stallman

Beans
    Distro

A majority of Humanities undergraduate and graduate students use Apple Macintosh OS X. A smaller number use PCs with Microsoft Windows 7.

Montclair State University supports Windows 7 and Apple Macintosh OS X Snow Lion. If I upgrade to Windows 8 Pro 64 bit, they can't offer me much help or support if I run into a problem.

I take my ETS Revised GRE this Friday morning. I should have my completed graduate application submitted by October 1st. I expect to be accepted. It will be fun and challenging work, but I am prepared to do the work.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Welly
    I take my ETS Revised GRE this Friday morning.
    Good luck!

If you don't mind my asking, I was really struck when I read your post about the federal govt. launching an investigation into you and I was wondering what caused them to do it. Of course, don't feel obliged to talk about it more if you don't want to--I was just really surprised by the power they had to invade your privacy without (it seems) good reason.
    If you have freedom but you don't value it, you're likely to lose it. -Richard Stallman

Beans
    Distro

I made a data backup of my VM Ware Workstation guest virtual machine containing Microsoft Windows 7 64 bit onto my LUKS encrypted external hard disk drives. I deleted the guest virtual machine off my Crucial M4 128 GB SSD. I am not going to upgrade to Windows 8 Pro 64 bit. I am going to stop using Microsoft products and services as much as possible. This will save me a few hundreds of dollars in the near future.

Ubuntu is a suitable alternative to Microsoft Windows and Office. It meets my needs and it is highly secure and reliable.

I am done with Microsoft Corporation.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast