Thread: Pulsing interference when trying to record guitar

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Question Pulsing interference when trying to record guitar

Hi guys, hope someone here can help.

I've recently installed Rakarrack on Ubuntu 12.04 and thought it might be fun to try a bit of recording. My setup is pretty basic, My guitar is plugged in to the mic socket and Jack is routing into rakarrack and then out into system.

I am using Audacity to do the recording, it is fine for all my needs at the moment.

In general, the setup works pretty well for me, but I've noticed a really weird "pulsing" interference sound on my recordings, and it's very noticeable especially with some of the effects used by Rakorrack.

It's difficult for me to explain the sound, and I'm not a sound technician or anything so I don't know the technical term for this type of interference or effect I'm sorry! Because I'm not sure what the term is I've found it quite difficult to google so sorry if the solution is obvious for some of you. I've attached a short clip to this post to demonstrate the effect.

I'm hoping someone can help explain what this pulsing sound might be caused by and hopefully point me in the right direction so I can get rid of it.

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by srt5; July 21st, 2012 at 07:03 PM.
    Registered Ubuntu User # 14095

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Pulsing interference when trying to record guitar

Just thought I'd update this thread to let people know it's been solved. Originally, I had been using the mic socket at the front of my computer for convenience. I tried the socket to the rear of the case and did not observe the same interference pattern.

I can only suppose that the interference was caused by some other nearby component.
    Registered Ubuntu User # 14095