Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I can not use Kubuntu with a second monitor via HDMI cable.

Beans

I can not use Kubuntu with a second monitor via HDMI cable.

I have a laptop with an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470 and would like to use a second monitor, which is actually a TV, via HDMI.

The problem is that the system does not recognize the second monitor. I can not even switch the display between the laptop monitor and TV.

The problem is not with the hardware because I can do this in Windows 7.

To say the truth I managed to send the screen image up to projectors. Only in this case I have problems.
    Last edited by NBPX; July 12th, 2012 at 12:41 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: I can not use Kubuntu with a second monitor via HDMI cable.

Have you installed the AMD Catalyst Control Center drivers yet?
    Backups are amazing. 99% of data loss can be prevented by spending less than $100 on an external drive.
    If you have seen an error, there is a good chance someone else has, too. Google is your friend.

Beans

Yes. I Can do that with a VGA cable and Catalyst.

But with the HDMI cable it not works.

The problem with VGA is that I cannot use widescreen.

My TV/Monitor is a Samsung SyncMaster T240M. In its screen appears a message saying "No signal" when using Kubuntu and HDMI cable.
    Last edited by NBPX; July 12th, 2012 at 02:13 AM.

Beans

xrandr output:

Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1366 x 768, maximum 1920 x 1920
    LVDS connected 1366x768+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 345mm x 194mm
    1366x768 60.0*+
    1280x768 60.0 +
    1280x720 60.0 +
    1024x768 60.0 +
    1280x600 60.0 +
    1024x600 60.0 +
    800x600 60.0 +
    800x480 60.0 +
    640x480 60.0 +
    CRT1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by NBPX View Post
    Yes. I Can do that with a VGA cable and Catalyst.

But with the HDMI cable it not works.

The problem with VGA is that I cannot use widescreen.

My TV/Monitor is a Samsung SyncMaster T240M. In its screen appears a message saying "No signal" when using Kubuntu and HDMI cable.
    Go into the Displays settings menu. Not sure how to get to that on KDE, but there should be a display configuration program somewhere in the settings. Make sure the TV is set to On.
    Backups are amazing. 99% of data loss can be prevented by spending less than $100 on an external drive.
    If you have seen an error, there is a good chance someone else has, too. Google is your friend.

Beans

Well, "traditional" Ubuntu with Gnome/Unity works pretty well with secondary monitors and bigger widescreen resolutions.

But my experiences with Kubuntu aren't so good. I needed to create manually a xorg.conf file for it to recognize my work monitor native resolution (1440x900), even when it works fine with Windows or Gnome.

Don't know if the issue is related to KDE or Kubuntu itself, but that was the only way I could make it work. This computer has an onboard Intel G31 card, btw.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rvdli View Post
    Well, "traditional" Ubuntu with Gnome/Unity works pretty well with secondary monitors and bigger widescreen resolutions.

But my experiences with Kubuntu aren't so good. I needed to create manually a xorg.conf file for it to recognize my work monitor native resolution (1440x900), even when it works fine with Windows or Gnome.

Don't know if the issue is related to KDE or Kubuntu itself, but that was the only way I could make it work. This computer has an onboard Intel G31 card, btw.
    I do not want to leave KDE. The KDE interface is much more beautiful and enjoyable, especially after months of modifying it to stay exactly the way I like it and because it has a few little tricks that make my life easier, for example, open a console the currently open folder, and because I hate Unity.

But now I see I'll have to migrate to Ubuntu.

Can I make the Ubuntu interface more like KDE, at least? Is there a theme similar to Oxygen?
    Last edited by NBPX; July 14th, 2012 at 03:29 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Ubun2to View Post
    Go into the Displays settings menu. Not sure how to get to that on KDE, but there should be a display configuration program somewhere in the settings. Make sure the TV is set to On.
    I tried this, but it has nothing on these menus to help me.

To be honest, I can put in widescreen mode, but to do this I need to use a function of the TV that stretches the image horizontally decreasing sharpness. It is not very beautiful to watch ...

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by NBPX View Post
    I do not want to leave KDE. The KDE interface is much more beautiful and enjoyable, especially after months of modifying it to stay exactly the way I like it and because it has a few little tricks that make my life easier, for example, open a console the currently open folder, and because I hate Unity.

But now I see I'll have to migrate to Ubuntu.

Can I make the Ubuntu interface more like KDE, at least? Is there a theme similar to Oxygen?
    Simple.
    1. Install Ubuntu.
    2. Download KDE from the Software Center.
    3. Ignore the Unity option, or, get rid of it. To get rid of it...
    This gets rid of Unity as well as all of the features included with it.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove unity unity-2d-places unity-2d unity-2d-panel unity-2d-spread unity-asset-pool unity-services unity-lens-files unity-lens-music unity-lens-applications gir1.2-unity-4.0 unity-common indicator-sound indicator-power indicator-appmenu libindicator6 indicator-application evolution-indicator indicator-datetime indicator-messages libnux-1.0-0 nuxtools
    If you only want to remove Unity and none of the features, do this command, instead:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove unity unity-2d
    My source:
    http://ubuntublog.org/how-to-remove-...untu-12-04.htm

Beans

But in this case will not have access to the Unity lenses?

I do not like the Unity, but this feature seems very attractive. I would like it in KDE.

"2. Download KDE from the Software Center."

It's possible to install Unity on Kubuntu to test before? It's hard to revert the changes?
    Last edited by NBPX; July 16th, 2012 at 03:28 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast