Thread: laptop speakers and headphones, simultaneous sound

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

laptop speakers and headphones, simultaneous sound

Basically whenever i plug in headphones in 12.04 the sound plays through both speakers and headphones. Since release I have tried and failed to solve this issue many times. I know its not a problem with the headphones, and i know it's not a problem with the headphone jack, as using the same headphones on windows works as normal.

I reeeeeeally want to get this fixed ASAP, it is driving me insane, This is the first release this problem has happened. I've posted this in several different sub-forums now and still had no luck...
    I've never had a problem with Windows I couldn't solve by installing Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: laptop speakers and headphones, simultaneous sound

In alsamixer I have no slider for headphone volume, and decreasing the volume of front also decreases the volume in my headphones. It seems like (even though I have headphone volume right now) ubuntu does not realise that headphones are even plugged in?
    I've never had a problem with Windows I couldn't solve by installing Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: laptop speakers and headphones, simultaneous sound

If it worked in a previous release of Ubuntu, downgrading the kernel might help.

I opened a thread a while back due to my own problems with sound after updating to 12.04 and solved it by downgrading the kernel. Here is the thread along with the instructions on how to downgrade the kernel:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ht=na5h&page=2