Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I've got 10 comps(w/o built-in wifi) to set up in a place with wifi, but no wired

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: I've got 10 comps(w/o built-in wifi) to set up in a place with wifi, but no wired

Quote Originally Posted by sanderj View Post
    Maybe I misunderstand you, but you will always need 10+ ethernet ports (linux or no linux).

FWIW: The OP could daisy chain two 8-port switches for that. If he finds a modem/router that can act as a Wifi-client, two el-cheapo 8-port switches could be connected to the modem/router.
    That's precisely the solution I suggested. Two of those Rosewill 8-port switches will run him about $25. So his budget with a router and the other hardware I proposed would be

Code:
     1 - ASUS wifi router                   $43 
     2 - Rosewill switches @ $12 each        24
    10 - 7' Ethernet cables @ $4 each        40
     1 - 3' Ethernet cable to daisy-chain     3

Total without shipping                 $110
    Making one of the computers a NAT router would save him about $23 when the router is replaced with a wifi adapter.
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; July 11th, 2012 at 02:34 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: I've got 10 comps(w/o built-in wifi) to set up in a place with wifi, but no wired

I'd avoid using 10 USB WIFI dongels if posible. That's just asking for trouble.

Regarding ethernet cables: It is probably cheaper to buy enough cable and RJ-45 plugs and borrow a pair of RJ-45 pliers to make your own cables. Premade ethernet cables are sold at ridiculous prices.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    That's precisely the solution I suggested. Two of those Rosewill 8-port switches will run him about $25. So his budget with a router and the other hardware I proposed would be

Code:

Making one of the computers a NAT router would save him about $23 when the router is replaced with a wifi adapter.
    OK, good point, that would save money indeed. He should then take into account the higher electricity bill and possibly a Wifi adapter.

Anyway: enough solutions for the OP. I would certainly consider buying second-hand stuff to lower the cost (and to be more sustainable and environmental friendly)

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Code:

OP has 10 systems
    you can plug 3 boxes in to the router and the rest into the switch and one from the switch to the router so you would only need 1 switch
    one 4 port router +one 8port switch = 10 ports (2 excluded for connecting router and switch)
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sanderj View Post
    So it only works for strong (=nearby) wifi signals.
    sorry - I forgot to mention this, but the WiFi signal is coming from the church accross the street and is rather weak.
    Looking for a Terminal Emulator that's fun to use? Try out this program I wrote!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by yanom View Post
    sorry - I forgot to mention this, but the WiFi signal is coming from the church accross the street and is rather weak.
    Is an antenna in the church tower an option? Across a street (100m) doesn't have to be a problem if there is direct line of sight and no interference of other wifi networks. No walls, only air and windows, no windows is even better. PC cases, monitors and desks can shield your antenna too. If both buildings have windows through which the antennas can see each other, across a street should work fine. And having only one antenna in a good position is allot better than neither.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by yanom View Post
    Ah. That probably makes the "10 USB-wifi-dongles" unfeasible.

I would go for a wifi access pointer that can act as a client. Make sure the Wifi AP "sees" to church AP; put it in a Window.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Lightbulb Re: I've got 10 comps(w/o built-in wifi) to set up in a place with wifi, but no wired

@Running one computer as a NAT bridge for the rest of them: No, I would absolutely not do that, mainly for the reason of "oh no, he shut off his computer, now nobody can get on the Internet!"

@ASUS Router: Are we sure the ASUS router we're recommending will run DD-WRT or otherwise support the client bridge mode he needs? NewEgg has some Buffalo routers which I believe all support DD-WRT.

@WiFi being across the street: If you weren't on such a tight budget, I'd say spring for a high gain directional antenna so you know you have a reliable link.

If you eventually get some more budgeted for this project down the road, you'd benefit from having your network between the 10 computers be wired. Then, if the WiFi bridge doesn't suit your needs, you can look at other options like Motorola Canopy (expensive) or some Ubiquiti airMax equipment (much cheaper). At my work, we recently setup a 5.8Ghz Ubiquiti PowerBridge and the entire link cost us $500 for 100Mbps. Not bad at all in the bridging market. Reliable so far.

My two cents.

Kirk

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Schnable View Post
    @Running one computer as a NAT bridge for the rest of them: No, I would absolutely not do that, mainly for the reason of "oh no, he shut off his computer, now nobody can get on the Internet!"
    How about putting a large label next to the power switch that reads, "Don't turn me off!"? Really, there are fairly straightforward solutions to problems like this.

@ASUS Router: Are we sure the ASUS router we're recommending will run DD-WRT or otherwise support the client bridge mode he needs? NewEgg has some Buffalo routers which I believe all support DD-WRT.
    I bought this ASUS router a while back after reading a lot of reviews. It works well, and I could flash it with DD-WRT.
    I don't see why he'd need any bridging. It's a router. One side talks to the wifi, the other side talks to the LAN switches. What bridging does he need?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Lightbulb Re: I've got 10 comps(w/o built-in wifi) to set up in a place with wifi, but no wired

How about putting a large label next to the power switch that reads, "Don't turn me off!"? Really, there are fairly straightforward solutions to problems like this.
    I generally try to avoid solutions like that. I find in my environment they don't always work as well as they should.

I don't see why he'd need any bridging. It's a router. One side talks to the wifi, the other side talks to the LAN switches. What bridging does he need?
    True. You could do it that way if your router supported it.

Sorry, I missed the bit about the firmware flashing already being done.

Kirk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast